1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 4Runner lift

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by aasilvers, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Oct 13, 2021 at 7:43 AM
    aasilvers

aasilvers [OP] New Member

Member:
    Green 2000 Manual 4WD
    So I want to put a 2.5"-3" lift on this 2000 4Runner. The original shocks are shot so I'm gonna be going with a full suspension lift kit and I'm planning to use Bilstein. Which lift would you guys recommend and where can I get appropriate replacement control arms? Thanks

2. Oct 13, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    If you're 4x4, stick with 2" of suspension lift otherwise you'll murder cv axle boots like a serial killer.

Gain the remainder of your lift with tires like 33's.

You can buy Bilsteins pretty much anywhere; srqfabrication, 4wheelparts, offroadwarehouse, Bilstein, toytec, and many more.

You'll need to figure out what weight you'll carry when deciding on rear coils.

You'll also want to figure out which way you'll go about on your rear panhard bar.

We didn't even mention bump stops as I'd suggest replacing both front and rear, but you can get away with rears only. You'll want to prevent over-extending one side of your shocks which is helped with the longer (and softer) bump stop on the other.

Last but not least, you'll want to figure if you want to go with uniball or not on your UCA's.

And since your suspension is shot, and oddly enough original (you're probably a good 10-15 years past due on replacing your shocks), it's fair to say you'll need to replace other items too.

Your upper and lower ball joints, or at least your lowers. Go OEM for this please, don't try to pinch pennies on your lower ball joints.

Your control arm bushings, just the lowers since you're replacing your upper arms.

Your sway bar end links.

Steering rack bushings as well.

Let's not forget your rear upper and lower links also.

SR5 Limited likes this.
  3. Oct 13, 2021 at 9:24 PM
    aasilvers

aasilvers [OP] New Member

Member:
    Green 2000 Manual 4WD
    Wow, ok. Thanks for the extensive info

4. Oct 14, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Yeah it is :laughing:

But I'm also under the assumption that you want to have a reliable vehicle as well.

I wouldn't suggest the parts if they didn't require being replaced which unfortunately they do as they are all wear items.

I want to do my lower ball joints again already as I have a new set sitting in a box for a 1st Gen Tacoma. In order to use those on our 4Runner, I have to replace the tie rod ends as well which I have.

My steering rack is only about 3 years old but unfortunately the wheeling I've done has caused me to rip the large center bushing. So I bought a new set and need to replace soon.

My cv axle boots (both) are tore up, also from wheeling as well as having a lift. When I find time, I need to pull those off and get them replaced under warranty.

Then there's my leaking cv axle seal, which I'll finally get around to when I pull my cv axle. Again, those parts I have as well sitting there.

Last but not least, I need to get my reservoir replaced on one of my rear shocks. In a heavy flex situation, I dented the shit out of my reservoir causing my rear shock to leak. I already have a "temporary" set of shocks in place as of 3 months ago, but still another item on the checklist. I even have the replacement reservoir as well as a new sticker to go on it, just need to get a shop to do the work.

So you can see, even for those of us that have done the very items I suggested in my initial post, you'll require replacing stuff much sooner if you're lifted. Even sooner than that if you're going out wheeling with your rig.

Products Discussed in

To Top