1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 weeks in

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by pedzola, May 6, 2017.

1. May 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM
    pedzola

pedzola [OP] New Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Have been driving my 2017 SR5 for a couple of weeks now, some questions and observations...

1) Is there any way to stiffen the ride without lifting? It dives significantly on braking, a little too "boaty" for me. Dont care for a lift or bigger tires.

2) I've really beat up the back already. Got a cargo liner but have a couple scrapes and such. Have been hauling boxes, tools, pavers, stone, mulch, and even a 3pt cultivator for my tractor. Very happy with the space in the 4runner! Who else has beat up their new truck?

3) Any way to be able to use my phone's internal speaker while it is also connected to bluetooth? Drives me nuts, it doesnt always seem to work. Missed a turn yesterday because bluetooth audio wasnt working but phone thought it was connected so no audio from phone either. And i cant listen to music and navigate at same time. Might just un-pair the phone? Can i do that?

4) Loved having rock rails on my former FJ cruiser. Kept people from slamming their doors into mine in parking lots. Also for offroading and as a step for short passengers of course. I remember them being cheap and easy to install. Any recommendations for a good pair of rock rails? Have done some preliminary searching but finding them to be expensive, or bare metal (need mine ready to bolt on please!)

5). What is the best roof rack for a canoe? Would a shorter one like the basic baja rack (using factory mounts only) be acceptable or too short? Any input would be great.

6) i have a lot of button blanks on my base model sr5. Any buttons i can add for something interesting without a lot of work? In my fj i was able to add a button that didnt come with the base model but the hardware was already there. It was either atrac or rear diff lock i dont remember. Anything like that? Or maybe just get a party mode button for fun....

Loving the 4runner so far.

2. May 7, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    Yota209

Yota209 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 Pemium W/3rd row
    TRD Pro Grill- 275/70/17 BFG KO2 - leveled front end w Bilstien 5100 front end coilovers - TRD off road wheels
    Had the same dislike with the soft "boaty" ride of my 2017 SR5 premium. I also didn't like the unlevel stance. I installed Bilstien 5100 shocks with the front socks set at .85. This raised the front end just a tad and leveled the stance.

It now drives so much better. It no longer dips hard when breaking and it drives more sporty. Lots of people go with this setup. You can search it up online and see lots more info on different forums about this setup.

IMG_3119.jpg

jester243 likes this.
  3. May 8, 2017 at 3:47 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt New Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, as Yota said, Bilstien 5100 shocks should help that feel. Although it will likely ride a little stiffer in all situations. I don't have them on my 4Runner (yet), but I have them on my Taco (1st gen), and the ride definitely gets more "truck like". Pretty sure the valving is pretty much the same.

Not yet, but I'm sure my kids will do a fine job on their own!

Yeah, If you have google maps you should just use that instead. Personally, I wish I didn't have to pay for the $2000+ nav system option in mine. A couple years ago when we got the Corolla, I specifically didn't want nav, because my $50 phone does a better job anyway. Although, the Entune system does make some minor advancements, if not for just the live traffic updates through the phone, but I don't need my truck to check in on facebook for me, or check yelp, or check my stocks (like I have any), or whatever, that's just silly, IMO...

All in all, I'd rather have my $2000 (or whatever the option costs) and just use my phone for nav.

When I bought mine, there were two nearly identical 4Runners, both dark silver SR5s. One had running boards, I bought the one without. Another of the ridiculously expensive options ($800!) that is really just a step. You can get a set from All-Pro Offroad for like $500 that will actually support the weigh of the vehicle, and still functions as a step. IMO the bolt on ones aren't quite as strong, but certainly stronger than OEM running boards!!

EDIT: Check out the 5th gen armor sticky on the 5th gen main page, there's a section on rock sliders...

No expert on this, but I see a lot of people with boats on their shoebox cars, and even the larger vehicles I always see they tie a lead to the front/rear bumper, so I'd think you'll be fine with a shorter rack.

You get a Base model, or an SR5?

I would imagine there might be some way to "hack" some of the systems, because the computers are probably pre-programmed with all that functionality (Toyota doesn't make a computer system for every single model). I remember reading about "hacking" a security system for the 1st gen Tacos, so if you had power/keyless locks you could trick it into "enabling" the security system by grounding some wire or something (just without the glass break sensor which could be added aftermarket).

I don't know if that would apply to A-trac or downhill assist systems since those probably have additional sensors installed. Plus, with our brand new rigs, there hasn't been a lot of time for people to mod them and hack into their systems, like there is for all the older trucks.

Me too!!

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    5thGen4Runner2015 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top