1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2" lift suggestions?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bunkerbuster, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jul 17, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    Bunkerbuster

Bunkerbuster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 4 Runner
    None at this time.
    Hello my name is Michael and I'm looking in doing a lift on my 2010 4Runner. Just a 2" lift. What do you all suggest. I'm totally new to all of this so lay it on me.

2. Jul 19, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Tons of options.... what is your budget? How do you use your vehicle? Do you go off road much? Are you planning on increasing the size of the tire?

Bunkerbuster[OP] and Bob like this.
  3. Jul 19, 2016 at 2:48 PM
    Bunkerbuster

Bunkerbuster [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota 4 Runner
    None at this time.
    Lol. True. I am sitting at about 75,000 miles. I don't do much off hard core 4 wheeling. Just the occasional back woods driving. I do live in Colorado and want to be able to go where I want when I want when in the mountains. I'm not planning on increasing my tires, as of yet and might not in the future. I have Cooper Discover A/T 3 265/70R17. My budget is flexible.

4. Jul 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM
    brochacho

brochacho New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sequoia TRD Sport
    Well if you "want to be able to go where I want when I want" you will probably want to steer clear of a spacer lift. Not sure if looks plays much into your decision but in my opinion if you did a full 3" lift (which is the max you can go) with stock size tires it would look kind of odd.

You are probably best served looking at 2.5" or less options:

1. Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable shocks. You can set the front shocks to gain .85, 1.75, or 2.5 inches of lift using stock coils. At 1.75" lift in front you will be sitting just about level and have no factory rake. If you go to 2.5" you will need to either get lift springs for the rear or spacers. This set up will run you around $400-600.
    2. Also utilizing 5100 shocks you can get some taller front coil springs to gain lift. Toytec makes 1.6" and 2.5" lift coils. This will add about $170 to first option. This will make for a better ride due to your are not preloading your factory coil springs.
    3. Ride height adjustable coilovers. Many different brands to choose from (Icon, Toytec, Fox, King..) but they are all going to run from about $750-$2000 just for the front. These are a nice option because you can change the ride height while they are installed on the vehicle from 0-3" without removing the entire coilover assembly. This option will also give you the best ride and off road performance.

You will also need to take into account that when you do a lift you may need to add some after market upper control arms (UCA's) in order to keep you factory alignment in spec. In general most people can stay within factory specs with stock UCA's as long as you keep the lift under 2.5", but ever vehicle is different and even a 1" lift may require them. They run from $450-$1000 a pair.

Check out and . Great companies with very helpful staff.

Hope this helps, I'm sure some other members will chime in with some more if not better information as well. Good luck!

5. Sep 1, 2021 at 7:48 PM
    ScottsBad

ScottsBad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    New to Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP w/KDSS
    Just Ordered King Coil overs with adjusters, SPC UCAs, rear shocks w/adjusters.
    I'm new here too, but I've been studying and trying to determine what I want to do with mine. First three things you gotta decide on; 1. How much time will you be off-road, and how hard core are you going to be off-road? 2. How long are you going to keep the vehicle? If its a long term vehicle you might want to put more money into it. 3. Given the answers to the previous questions, how much do you want to spend?

Try to be realistic...I couldn't do it LOL. I kept asking myself, "do I need this?" ...And today I ended up with a pretty well loaded order from (Filthy Motorsports - King). Now, I have to wait 5-6 months. I hope I don't regret it.

I have KDSS so I'm doing a conservative 2" - 2.25" lift extended travel in front, and 0 to 1.5" in the rear. I'm going SPC UCAs because they are adjustable, and compression adjusters all around.

The other factor right now is the availability of parts. It is actually hard to obtain some of the high quality coil-overs right now. For instance Kings are back ordered 5+ months. And when I was looking at Dobinsons for a less expensive alternative, they were out of a lot of stuff too. Eibach, back order. Point is, check availability before settling on the setup you want.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. Sep 2, 2021 at 2:36 AM
    Toyofan87

Toyofan87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Blue & Grey Hwy Gburg
    Vehicle:
    1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Welcome and plenty of past threads/ post from members who asked this exact question... Research the suspension threads to find where your budget fits in? From a basic spacers lift, (not recommended) to a Coilovers kit, UCA, shocks, etc.
    Good luck and welcome

7. Sep 2, 2021 at 6:51 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome to the forum.

8. Sep 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM
    kwill

kwill New Member

Member:
    I know it is contrarian but...why do you think you need a lift at all? Stock is much more capable than the exposexuals want to admit.

9. Sep 2, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Because it looks 10x sexier.

Mtbpsych and kwill like this.
  10. Sep 2, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    What is this "exposexuals" ?..my Google-Fu must be weak today because I can not find a definition.

11. Sep 2, 2021 at 4:06 PM
    JaSC

JaSC New Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, crawl control and MTS
    ToyTec Lift, Dual Batt Redarc. Rear safe drawer, console safe, Aux 2004 JGC fuse box, Warn bumper, 12,000lb winch
    As to the OPs question, one of the many reasons I lifted my 2018 was to get a better ride. The nose does not dive down when stopping now and corners like a truck, much firmer and controllable on road and off. Installing a Toytec kit myself was very enjoyable although at some points difficult, rear springs are a PIA Ugh!

12. Oct 19, 2023 at 8:03 AM
    Han4Run

Han4Run New Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD Pro
    I’ve gone with OME lift kits for the last couple of trucks I’ve had. Been pretty happy with the quality and comfort.

4rmud likes this.
  13. Oct 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    As long as we're throwing out products here, check out the Dobinsons setup in my build thread linked in my sig. I bought the cost-effective (subjective!) combo and it's been working out nicely and was easy to install. And @McSpazatron is running the next series up from mine, I believe. We're both having lots of fun (him more than me ;)) and haven't broken the bank (or the truck).

McSpazatron likes this.
  14. Oct 19, 2023 at 3:31 PM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    I am a Bilstein guy

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

Hilux1 and Chris In Milwaukee like this.
  15. Oct 20, 2023 at 5:45 AM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    PPF, Tint, Black out badges/Valances. Bilstein 6112's & 5100's
    Please post lifted heights for OP.

16. Oct 20, 2023 at 5:51 AM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    All of that info is in my profile for my 2022 lunar rock TSE. My 2011 has 5100’s all around but same lift specs.

(2022) 2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, Durobumps 4.25” rear

Nevin[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 20, 2023 at 6:52 AM
    K-Paul

K-Paul Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    Ironman FoamCell 2" lift. It is the way.

18. Apr 2, 2024 at 6:43 AM
    Mud4r

Mud4r New Member

Member:
    I think that what OP should consider the most is understanding their need. When choosing a lift kit, there’s too many things to consider, like intended used and the trucks load. However, considering their interest in a 2" lift, like in general, my first to-go option would be a OME Lift Kit, probably the OME Nitrocharger, since it’s the perfect entry-level kit in my opinion. And all its features offer the perfect balance between performance and comfort.

Then, if someone wants more advanced technology, the BP51 is right there. It’s a little more expensive, so it’s not to anyone with low budget, but I think it’s completely worth it. This one has a reservoir and a bypass technology that enhances ride quality very smoothly. Additionally, the reservoir helps cool the system during long off-road trips, ensuring the suspension performs consistently. Also, the standout feature of BP-51 shock absorbers is their adjustability, allowing precise tuning for accommodate for varied terrains, speeds, and loads that I particularly find really great. If anyone have more questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate, and ask me!

TrailSpecial22 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top