1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st post..Not yet a 4Runner owner ...questions

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Tama1968, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Jan 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    Hi all,
    My name is Mike...I've been a Chevy Blazer/Trailblazer guy for decades...but I'm in my late 40's now and I'm tired of having to work on my truck all the time. After noticing that my wife's Toyota products (she's been a Camry & Sienna girl all this time) hardly ever need to be worked on other than maintenance, I'm planning on going Toyota for my next ride.
    I love the looks of the 4 Runner and got to drive one belonging to a co-worker some and it seems like a great ride.
    Here's where I have some concerns/questions.
    I'm not sure if I can afford to spend $30k + on a brand new vehicle at the moment....BUT I typically keep a vehicle for 6-8 years on average and we do travel a lot so I need something I can hold on to. Thinking about buying one that's maybe 3-4-5 years old. Given that I plan to add quite a few miles on the vehicle myself, what do you guys consider 'high mileage' for a 4R? Or should I just invest in a newer one? Are they pretty reliable vehicles? Based on my experiences with the Sienna/Camry's we've had, I'm betting 'yes' but I'd like to hear from some owners. Thanks
    -Mike

T-Rex266 likes this.
  2. Jan 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! I don't own a 4R, but "high mileage" is subjective, IMO on any Toyota.

gratefulneal and drunner like this.
  3. Jan 2, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    that's true, I suppose. When I was younger, 100k was kind of considered high, but it's not really anymore. Our 04 Sienna made 185,000+ before we traded it in and it was still doing great except for the original water pump starting to leak.

4. Jan 3, 2016 at 10:12 AM
    runxchubchubxrun

runxchubchubxrun New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lakin
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen for the win.
    I once had a 00 Blazer, got it at 80k when it was maybe 10 years old. I had it 3 years and by 120k I had put about 3-4 grand in it for repairs. I had never taken it offroad but I did literally flip it off an over pass on the highway and it saved my life without it even deploying the airbags and no seatbelt. 3 years ago I was in your current situation and after 6 months of avid research I found that the best SUV on the road is the 3rd generation 4Runner which is what I still have today. Ive put 60k miles on it and take it offroad all the time. In three years I havent put any money for repairs into my 4Runner except for a top notch tune up and an 02 sensor or two. My point is, you dont need a new 4R in order to have a good one. Personal opinion, but I think the 3rd generations are twice as better as the 4th ones and I am not willing to spend 30-60k on a 5th generation. Food for thought, find you an old one thats been taken care of and it will take care of your for years to come.

irishfury and gratefulneal like this.
  5. Jan 3, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    The 4runner is about as reliable as they come, I own both a 3rd and 4th gen. 210k on the 3rd gen, 4th gen has 106k. Wouldnt hesitate to drive either cross-country. These days high mileage is probably 200k+

T-Rex266 and drunner like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    drunner

drunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    5100s, 885s, Toytec 2" rear, Camburg UCAs, 255/75/17 Duratracs
    My 2nd Gen Tacoma has 108k (bought brand new) on it and my 4th gen 4runner has 110k (bought @ 87k) on it. Based on the fact that we've had multiple Toyotas in my family that hit 200k+ throughout the years with usual maintenance, I wouldn't even stress on it.

Relentless likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM
    4Runner man

4Runner man New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 blue trail 4runner
    None yet
    I just got a2016 blue trail and i have to say I love it so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top