1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1994 4Runner brake issue totally stumped

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Py155, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Dec 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM
    Py155

Py155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 maroon 4 runner
    Good afternoon guys and gals!
    Here is my issue, I have a 1994 4 runner. I have a brake issue, my driver side caliper keeps locking up. My brother the past owner put a new caliper on the truck two years ago. I just installed a new one this summer, same problem. I have replaced the entire front end. New everything brake line and hoses,CV,rotors,pads,upper and lowers.

What happens is I can feel the driver side brakes slowly start to build pressure when I'm driving. I have to crack the bleeder then it is fine. Some times it might do it every 10-15 miles, then other times it might not do it for 2weeks! Some times the pedal will be real hard other times kinda soft. Some times when I park and let it run it will almost completely lock up, brake the bleeder and it fine again. I took the master cylinder off and cleaned it and that seemed to help for awhile but I can't say for sure. When I can really feel it starting to lock up and I press the brake it shutters almost like a bad rotor. But they are brand new and it does not have and shutter like you would with a warped rotor. Crack the bleeder and it's good again for 0-100 miles lol. Bad fluid? Master? Kinda out of ideas.

Thanks for any info.

2. Jan 1, 2017 at 4:22 AM
    Py155

Py155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1994 maroon 4 runner
    I think I have narrowed it down to the master cylinder. Makes sense, with the caliper slowly building pressure,seals must have gone bad.

I prolly would have got some help if I would have posted a thread about stickers,wheels,rims or a stupid picture of my truck parked on a rock because my truck went off the pavement for 2hrs on Saturday.

But unlike 98% of the people on here, my truck is in the dirt,mud and snow every single day. But being a logger it comes with the job. So if you boys want to really see what your truck is made of give it a try. Later soft hands!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top