1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 4Runner Leaky Pwr Steering Pump. Not ATF Fluid Installed.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by radiomike, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Mar 31, 2016 at 3:26 PM
    radiomike

radiomike [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    None as of Yet
    My '05 4Runner (V6 4.0L) was the candidate for a new engine about a month ago. The other day I noticed a leak from the Power steering Pump located in the area of the pulley. Actually the pulley is slinging the fluid out when the engine is running.

I called the shop that installed the engine and they admitted that they did flush the steering system and they replaced the old fluid with a clear Hi quality type of PS Fluid. I know that the correct type of fluid is indicated on the fluid reservoir cap as well as in the manual and it calls for Dexron 2 or 3. I also know it's pink in color and not clear. So it's got the wrong type of fluid in it.

What I am concerned about is that since they installed the wrong type of fluid , could the improper fluid be the cause of leak........... and further, if it could develop leaks in the rack unit below. I used some Barrs PS stop leak and it did slow the leak down. But It's still there. Could flushing the system with the correct fluid make the seals re-seat or are they permanently damaged? Is the seal replacement a very involved repair for the PS Unit ??

Also I noticed that it's damaging the serpentine belt. It's unraveled about a 5th of the inner portion of the belt. So I know that will need replacement.

Thanks for any help that I can get!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. Apr 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    I would ask them to show me the bottle or container of the fluid they put in and if it doesn't match what is on the cap I would ask them to replace all components. I doubt they will but the entire system is now contaminated.

Products Discussed in

To Top