1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 V8 2WD, need some assistance.

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by kitesurfsd, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sep 12, 2016 at 11:26 AM
    kitesurfsd

kitesurfsd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    03 V8 4 runner
    CVT Roof tent, otherwise stock.
    OK, So I married into this 4 runner (03 V8 2WD). It's a great truck, however I drive on the beach and travel into Mexico for surf/ kite expeditions. I was just wondering what can be done to make this girl a bit better for off road use. Specifically the 2 wheel drive issue.

I know it's not worth trying to make it 4 wheel drive.

What about rear lockers, Wench, or other items that I could add. I don't do any rock crawling, just trails and beach driving. I need some help from some of you pro's
    I know the simple answer is, sell it and buy a 4wd. I'm looking an option that doesn't take on buying a new truck.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

all stock, only added weather tech, CVT roof tent, rocket-box

DogStar84 likes this.
  2. Sep 12, 2016 at 1:52 PM
    BestGen

BestGen Member #57

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Haunted Turnbull Canyon, CA
    Vehicle:
    1988 4Runner XTE 22RE/W56, '93 G144 4.88s, Spartan Locker, AllPro Sliders, OEM 15x6" rims, BFG KM2 33/10.5s, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs, TG rear bumper.
    33"KM2s, 4.88s, Spartan Locker, TG rear bumper, AllPro Kickout sliders, 4Crawler 1.5" BJS, OME 2" Dakar springs.
    You're right about selling it and getting a 4wd. That would save u the most headaches in the long run. However, since u aren't willing to do that, then a winch and locker will be a necessity. For the rear I'd suggest an ARB locker. Full lock when on and the best driveability on the street when off since it reverts back to one wheel drive. It'll also allow u to air up your tires after off-roading. Definitely add a winch in the 9-10K pound range and learn how to use it. Driving on the beach in 2wd is nearly impossible unless it's hardpack. Also look into some sort of winch
    anchor because unless u have another vehicle to hook onto there aren't a lot of winch points. Good luck.

DogStar84 likes this.
  3. Sep 12, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    kitesurfsd

kitesurfsd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    03 V8 4 runner
    CVT Roof tent, otherwise stock.
    That's what I figured. I'm sure it's a common question with the 2wd models. I'm hoping we can sell it at a later date and get a 4wd. I don't commute with the truck, so I will get something used lightly. Plenty of soccer moms driving around in 4wd vehicles in the OC and SD.
    Thank you again for the assistance.

Mark

Products Discussed in

To Top