1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

02 4Runner help with check engine light

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by nicoindo, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Aug 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM
    nicoindo

nicoindo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nico
    Thanks Bob for the welcome email.
    I have a family member with a 2002 4Runner, that has a Check Engine light and an ect light coming on once in a while.
    Can anyone tell me what area of the car I should be looking at, or how to diagnose it further?

Thank you,
    Nico

2. Oct 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    tbird

tbird New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    1999 4runner limited
    Tundra front brakes 17 inch wheels and after market radio
    Hey Nico: I had a 2000 sr5 with 3.4 v6 with check light. I would suggest have some one pull the codes with an OBII scanner. Some parts stores will do it free. Then you'll have some idea where the problem is. I'm not sure if the 2002 has an oil change reminder that will light this . Check the owners manual and do the the reset for oil change and see if that clears it. If yours doesn't have an oil change reminder it you'll have to rely on the codes. You can clear a lot of codes buy removing the negative battery terminal for about 60 seconds. If something is definetly wrong the light will come back on. Just google 2002 4runner error code ( what ever it is) and look for an answer in forums. The ect light says you have selected ect with the dash push button which puts the transmission in a different performance mode. If it is coming on by it's self I don't have clue.
    Back to your check engine light, try disconnecting the negative battery post first. If the light stays out for 30 to 50 miles your good. If it comes on quickly (a mile or 2) Get the codes checked. Some codes don't clear by removing the battery power. Not sure which one. If you have codes read and it points to emissions (O2 or air/fuel sensors) which is common after 150k use denso replacement parts. The cost a lot less and are the same sensors without the toyota stamp on it. I replaced both sensors on mine and and still had the same code (ineffiecent catalytic convrter) I replaced both with after market converters and still had the same problems. Unless the manufacturer says it will clear the code in writing don't waste the money. If you state inspection reqires an emissions check try removing the battery post just prior to the inspection. You just might make it till you can get it fixed.
    Good luck!!

3. Oct 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM
    Husky Driver

Husky Driver Kyna's chauffeur

Member:
    First Name:
    Kipp
    40°35'09.0"N 105°04'38.3"W
    Vehicle:
    2k T4R3 SR5 Highlander Sport TRD
    Toytec Ultimate 3" lift susp w/ OME 891 rear coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks front & 5125 rear, ARB 'Roo Bar, Warn VR10k, 0.7, 2 & 11-meter 2 way radios, Nitrogen inflated 33" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s, FlexFuel E-85 conversion, AFe lifetime filter, Savage Offroad rock sliders, Ryno All Terrain 4.5mm skid plates, Line-X coatings on the armor, LifetimeLED & Rigid Industries LED headlights, UltraGauge 1.2, T3q 4.10 eLocker with armor from LROR, AmsOil lubricants used throughout. CBI plate rear bumper with swingaway, SPC Light Racing UCAs, ARB SS170HF Safari snorkel w/ Afrikaans centrifugal pre-cleaner, Tacoma antenna mod, TRD Supercharger w/ URD 7th inj. & URD pulleys, Anti-Dark engine bay lighting system. Having gone 250k, Aug 2016 was the time to replace the original clutch & get the driver's seat rebuilt/stuffed. Front & back Weathertech liners. Tundra front disc brake swap. Full length Rocky Mountain Rack with 40" lightbar & alternating strobe rear dust lights. I used a warm weekend in March 2022 to finally install my brand new from old stock 2000 4Runner driver's seat. $800 directly from the factory in Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan.
    Nico,

I don't know where in the US you're at but it may save a lot of guesswork &/or frustration to just get an . It takes me about 4-5 minutes to get the code & clear it. Once you have the code just look it up here. I bought this one from Harbor Freight Tools about 8 years ago & it works great but it's impossible to monitor while driving.

If you really want to get the full data stream from your ECU with one second update intervals, get an Ultragauge. I bought an Ultragauge EM+ last year & put my OBD2 reader in my toolbox as a backup. On a 3rd gen 4Runner you can monitor at least 44 different sensors output in real-time. I can read & clear a CEL sitting at a stoplight without having to restart the engine. I'd recommend getting the windshield mount for the Ultragauge as well if you decide to get one.

Products Discussed in

To Top