1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 08 loves to throw codes!

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Grif900, Aug 14, 2023.

1. Aug 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM
    Grif900

Grif900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4WD V6 75,000 miles strong
    Greetings out there in 4runner land! My 08 sr5 v6 is 15 years old, I inherited it. It was my Stepfathers ,then it was my Mothers and now it lives with me at our house on Cape Cod. I look at it as an expensive truck because it cost me two of my favorite people in the world. Here's the good news; it just rolled 94,000 and runs like a bear. Very little rust despite being a mostly Northeast car. And everything but the TPMS (dead batteries) works,. I knew a vehicle of this age is going to develop issues and sure enough the O2 and A/F sensors started failing last year. I replaced both O2 sensors and one A/F sensor ( B1S1) and sure enough this year, just before the cars last emission related test EVER to be done to pass the CEL and related blinky lights lit up. OK, no big deal ; hook the old Snap-On Solus Pro and check the codes, This older unit does show live data, and I see that the A/F sensor that I did not replace (B2S1) due to the cost of the other parts to make the thing pass inspection the prior year had indeed failed too. I figured "well fine I knew it was only a matter of time so now its time" so off to Advance Auto, "Nope, don't have any and can not tell you when we can get you one." Next stop Auto Zone ( We Do not have O'Realys here) and they sold me a Denso looking box with an A/F sensor inside; it worked for two weeks and then I got the Christmas lights again .The code I got was A/F stuck lean B2S1 . AZ was kind enough to exchange the sensor for a new one as long as I still had the sales receipt, the original box, the failed sensor (not the original one, but the new one that failed) and I did have all of those things. So I got my last emission related inspection sticker and Thirty seven days after installing a new" Denso" A/F (B2S1) twice I got the Christmas tree dashboard again, plugged in the old Solus Pro and got " A/F stuck lean (B2S1)"Again.
    Which brings me to my point. Have any of you had this problem?
    Here are reasons for this that come to mind but I am all alone in my driveway scratching my head.
    -1 Denso made a bad run of these things and they ended up a AZ.
    -2 AZ bought a batch of bogus knock-offs labeled to look like the real thing.
    -3 There is something else wrong with my fuel/ engine management system that eats A/F sensors early.
    -4 I am a bone head and installed something incorrectly.

Sorry for for the long winded post, but if any one here has any insight, I am all ears.
    Thank you

2. Aug 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Now that you have the time since passing emissions, buy the real Denso sensors from RockAuto.com. Those are guaranteed to be real and the only place I buy mine.

Have you checked spark plugs yet? Make sure those are good, replace if unsure. Inspect coil packs for cracks when you do the plugs. Also, there's a good possibility the exhaust manifolds are leaking. Maybe time for new gaskets.

Grif900[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2023 at 6:10 PM
    Grif900

Grif900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Vehicle:
    Yes I changed out the original plugs last year when I went through the sensors, and the coil- packs all test out fine on my Fluke 45. When this thing runs right it runs right. I really think I bought phony A/F sensors; hence their short lifespan. or may-haps there is something else that is killing them early. And despite the heat shields falling off of the cats The stainless exhaust is tight.

4. Sep 8, 2023 at 6:10 PM
    Grif900

Grif900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the Rock auto Link,I had almost forgotten them. I did indeed buy yet another A/F sensor from them for about $100 less than "Auto Bone" ; replaced B1S1,cleared the code that was showing and enjoyed a normal looking panel for about three weeks. Then I got a Cel again, it was B2S2; I shrugged it off as an anomaly, cleared it and it came back a week later. I have forgotten what that code number was but the message was that the value Of B2S2 was Too far away from B1S2. So again read live data; and sure enough there is a disparity in the two downstream o2 sensors report to the the ECU and cleared all codes again. Now I am getting a CEL with a different code that is pointing toB2S1 (Replaced last year along with B1S2 and B2S2, from AZ) showing that it is "lazy" B2S1 too slow; I had no idea at the time that I should log all of this .
    So, I have ordered one more AF sensor and two more Downstream o2 sensors from Rock Auto. I do NOT like to just Shotgun parts at a problem; but i do suspect that AZ has a large supply of "questionable" sensors that may or may not work for a while and then do not work. Or there is another issue with my 94000 mile engine that I am simply overlooking; I dont think its my low mile motor.

5. Mar 1, 2024 at 10:39 AM
    MIKE-E-S

MIKE-E-S New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2011 4runner SR5 - w/o KDSS
    Hi there,
    Did you ever get to the root of the issue? Im having similar issues with my 2011 with 2014k miles on it.

6. Apr 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    Grif900

Grif900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Vehicle:
    Mike-E-S Sorry to take so long but what I have concluded is that the sensors that I bought from A-Z failed very early. I don't know why. The sensors I bought from Rock Auto have held up just fine. No Issue since installing the last rock auto sensor.
    Good Luck

7. Apr 24, 2024 at 3:16 PM
    4R777

4R777 New Member

Member:
    I have same vehicle. Check the gas cap. I've had to replace mine 3x already. Always with OEM. Soon as they go bad, it throws one of those P codes and last time it through a different code than the priors, but it turned out to be same bad gas cap problem.

Probably not your problem but at least make sure it's good.

8. Apr 24, 2024 at 3:41 PM
    Grif900

Grif900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Griffin
    Vehicle:
    That is a good bit of advice, and I did indeed get the same dash Lights (blinking TC and Decent control indicators along with a check engine light) when my gas cap failed. I did figure that one by reading here on this forum. Then I got my Solus -Pro and got different codes ;I think it was EVAP SYS related and the scanner pointed right at the problem , makes sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top