1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xpel film for hood and front end

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Oct 10, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does anyone have experience or advice with Xpel film on their 4R?

I was considering getting this done on mine when I pull out next spring.

The place I had my fluid film applied told me about it and advised for front end and if I want hood.

My concern is I plan to keep this hopefully at least 20 years only using in nice weather. So will this film yellow out over years? The dealer says not within ten years and I could always remove and have new stuff installed at 10 year mark.

The cost is about $1k. I am one of these guys that wants to keep the fit and finish nice. Admittedly not an off road guy just towing my fishing boat and going on some trips.

I just want to avoid stone chips on normal highways. I am the guy who enjoys drinking a beer and applying wax every few months and keeping it looking sharp.

2. Oct 10, 2021 at 7:37 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I installed a 3M precut bra myself. It was a PITA to install but it turned out well.
    Kit was around $200.

Very thick film which is a good thing.

The 5th gen 4Runner has a pretty complex front end as far as different shapes and angles. I'd say if you can install a bra on a 4Runner, you can pretty much do any vehicle.

3. Oct 10, 2021 at 7:51 PM
    Notcris

Notcris New Member

Member:
    Austell, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner Lunar Rock Trd Pro
    I did xpel the whole front, mirror caps, fenders, full hood. Also ceramic coated the 4runner and did a stage 2 correction. Those swirls are gone and 4runner is protected for many years!

4. Oct 10, 2021 at 7:56 PM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    FAQ > https://www.xpel.com/faq

SlvrSlug likes this.
  5. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    I had the front facia on my 4Runner covered with Xpel film (the real stuff, not a cheap copy) after I had the color correction done and then Ceramic coating. The place I had all that done did not want to put film on the hood. I wish I had made them do it anyway. But the film has performed every bit as expected. I highly recommend.

brownersd likes this.
  6. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    I did this as well minus the paint correction. Didn’t need it.
    Best part is not having to wax or use water to wash my vehicle (unless it has mud).

Notcris[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:23 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Forgive my ignorance here but what is the paint correction about? Is this for vehicles that are not new and has some type of paint damage/wear?

I got my 4R in June drove it 500 miles washed and waxed twice and covered for winter with a California car cover until spring. I opted for silver paint on my ORP thinking it would be more forgiving as years click by plus I just like silver.

Call me crazy I still enjoy washing and waxing as I sit all day for work it’s just a hobby I picked up since I started driving.

I have read about ceramics a bit but so far use Meguiars Ultimate products or Mothers products as well.

The paint looks impeccable to my eye anyway so I am curious if this paint correction was done after some years of ownership/use? Thanks for input so far guys much appreciated

2Toys likes this.
  8. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:25 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:

Did they say why they did not want to put on hood? My place suggested it or alternatively place about 6 inch strip on it to prevent stone chips. I just did not like the idea of a line six inches up my hood so I started thinking about whole hood, front end and mirrors

2Toys[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    I bought my 2019 at the end of September 2018. I had a years worth of car washes and discovered I really didn't like the swirl marks in my Midnight Blue Metallic paint. The only way to fix that was via color correction.

10. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:30 PM
    2Toys

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    They said that they usually only went halfway up the hood, and that in time, I would have a "dirt line" at the point where the Xpel film stopped. Obviously, I didn't want that.

11. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:31 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    The only paint issues I have had was water spots on the hood. Somehow they leave a permanent mark. I just live with it because I fear that if I polish the spots out, I will eventually polish through the thin layer of paint.

I do use spay wax every few washes.

12. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:43 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. That makes sense

I have only ever hand washed all my cars so that makes sense on dark blue and car washes. Someday I am sure I will not hand wash that’s why my accord is winter car much easier to hand wash

Yeah guy suggested entire hood as best option going all the way up to top near drainage for windshield. His buddy said I could save money by doing six inches.

I was not and am not trying to go cheapest route but best route for long term.

I was thinking initially I could re so after 8 years or so before any yellowing May occur? I am probably not your typical dude keeping it I hope 20 years. But that was my plan based on the quality and reviews.

2Toys likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top