1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worth upgrading to Pro ('19 Fox) suspension on my 2013 TE?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Trail Runnah, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Mar 15, 2021 at 8:08 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I happened to see someone selling a Pro (Fox) suspension off a 2019 with 10k miles for 700 bucks the other day, and I was wondering if it's worth picking up for my '13 Trail.

I'm not trying to lift it per se, but with 114k miles it's going to need new shocks/struts sooner or later. Also, I hear the Fox rides really nice, all the video reviews I've seen tend to rave about it.

Just wondering if I should pull the trigger on it. I'm not trying to spend any money right now, but I don't think these come up for sale often. Once again, I'm not thinking of buying this as a lift, just as a (hopefully) better performing replacement for my aging stock stuff.

Anyone driven both a Pro and SR5 (or equivalent), and is the PRO ride significantly better?

I like a soft ride, btw. The hit a speedbump at 30 and not feel it kind of ride.

(I did search, btw, but came up with mostly threads about lifting Pros and why Pros are overrated, lol)

Thanks for any info!

2. Mar 15, 2021 at 8:40 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    If you’re not looking to lift I would, they seem to offer the best ride quality for that price range. Just be aware it’ll probably lift the front end by 1”.

kmeeg likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2021 at 7:42 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    It sounds perfect for your situation. I also think that's a fair price. I expect to see the price come down on the 19-20 kits due to the issues they've had.. but then again, maybe that won't happen as most people are unaware of the issue and I bet it'll stay that way. All in all, $700 is fair whereas $1500 is silly. The kit, new, is $2200, btw. The only thing I DON'T like about the FOX shocks is that replacing just one shock costs nearly a grand, so you really don't want anything failing prematurely. As far as the 19-20 issues.. google "trd pro fox shock clunk/issue/tsb" and you'll find out what I'm talking about. I bet the noise isn't actually a real problem other than annoyance... but still.

4. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Trail Runnah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Thanks! Actually, I'm good with the slight front lift. the front sits a little low, I welcome a more level stance.

5. Mar 17, 2021 at 7:37 PM
    Trail Runnah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Thanks for the info! I think the price for them new is silly, but was thinking for the cost of generic replacements, it might be a good buy.

I wasn't aware of any 19-20 issues though, I'll have to look that up. Perhaps that's why he's getting rid of them. I can't deal with suspension clunks on a DD, haha.

6. Mar 18, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I too agree that they provide good ride quality without lift. Then again it was not a really noticeable improvement. To me it has more control on body roll and nose dive over stock SR5 suspension. I haven't driven the Pro offroad. (Driving impressions based on 2019 TRD Pro)
    My opinion if you want to lift better look for other longer suspension options than looking for Pro fox suspension and add spacer or springs to lift.

Trail Runnah[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    Trail Runnah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Yeah, I decided to hold off on this. It's a good price, but I read about the clunking issue and I'm all set with that. Where I live has the potential to hit sub 30 degree temps a good six months out of the year. All set with a noisy suspension.

I'll do more research and pick something aftermarket. Last year I was kind of set on going with the standard Dobinsons at a modest lift height, but decided not to spend the money. That's how most of my mod idea goes, I'll think about it for a while and I'll do some research, and just end up not wanting to part with the money lol. I'm attempting to save up a down payment for a house, which is looking like it's going to take a decade at this point LOL.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top