1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worth keeping my 05 4runner?

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by YodaRunHer, Dec 6, 2023.

1. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:18 AM
    YodaRunHer

YodaRunHer [OP] 05 4Runner V8 4WD

Member:
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4runner
    None
    Hello,
    So I recently got a 2005 4runner v8 w/ 165k miles for $5,500. First toyota I've ever owned and I love it especially since theres no car payment. Needs a little work. Wondering if its worth keeping, or should I cut my losses and sell. So far Ive had to replace the CV Axles, steering pump, alternator and tires. So far Ive only had to put a little under $2k. Timing belt was replaced at 144k miles. Recently had an issue which i thought it was my alternator but it was a gunked up throttle body that was over working the alternator (I hope that issue was fixed for a while. So far shes running great) to the point that it wasnt enough to charge my battery. Throttle body was cleaned a bit (not sure if i should replace the throttle body) and car doesnt shut off anymore do to drained battery. I can do mostly everything listed below. The rust is actually pretty low mostly surface rust (Jersey)
    Things that may need replacement are...
    - all 4 Suspension (struts, spring, UCA, LCA)
    - A/C has a leak somewhere (dont need to fix till after May)
    - Driver seat is all torn (can also wait till down the road)
    - Small humming which i believe is from one of the bearings. So may have to replace them.
    - Exghuast system because i have a check engine and the code says its my cats.
    - Possibly throttle body

Recommendations? Keep or sell?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  2. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:34 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    100% worth keeping IF the rust isn't too bad.

The V8 will run for practically forever while the rest of the vehicle rusts out around it. With proper maintenance of course. Clean up as much of the rust as you can and coat with POR15 and then chassis black spray paint over that. The hard part is the inside of the frame.

3. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:36 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I'd do the work since it doesn't sound unreasonable at all for a 20 year old truck. I guess some of the question is whether a V8 4Runner is what you want to fix up and keep. I think most folks here would especially if 4WD. Rust is probably the limiting factor.

YodaRunHer[OP] likes this.
  4. Dec 6, 2023 at 10:43 AM
    YodaRunHer

Member:
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4runner
    None
    Good to go, yeah its a 4wd. Engine feels beautiful and purs (in a good sense) like no other vehicle ive ever owned. Just wasnt sure if I should put another $3-5k into it since ive already put $2k. Good idea on cleaning the rust off and coating. Most definitely should do that. Ill look into whats the best way to remove the surface rust.

Thanks

5. Dec 6, 2023 at 11:07 AM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Wire wheel or sand blasting I would say. Highly recommend POR15 as it makes any existing rust that doesn't come off inert. Just paint over it with chassis black as POR15 doesn't do well with UV and isn't considered a top coat.

6. Dec 6, 2023 at 12:41 PM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    I’ve put more than that into my 2004 4Runner v8 4wd with almost 100k more miles. I’d say keep it. The catalytic converters could be expensive tho, so just be prepared for that.

7. Dec 6, 2023 at 12:46 PM
    YodaRunHer

Member:
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4runner
    None
    Yup, good thing is I have till Oct 2024 before my next emissions test.

8. Dec 6, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    If you plan to use it as a recreational vehicle or a beater car for short runs, sure keep it.
    As a daily driver, it's outdated and has little purpose.
    Also, old cars need care and service. Things will fall apart, parts will break down at that age and there comes a point where the headache of keeping one outweighs the benefit of keeping one. That headache could be now or in 10 years.

9. Dec 6, 2023 at 1:09 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I just recently replaced both cats/exhaust manifolds on my 2003. It was around $850 for the pair, OEM. I recommend OEM over aftermarket as OEM uses better materials than anyone has available aftermarket and they will last much, much longer without issues. I replaced mine at around 330k miles for reference.

I used these Remflex exhaust manifolds gaskets since they seal much better than stock and should last longer - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTF9790

gkomo likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2023 at 1:11 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Please, don't start this argument again. One thread was closed over this already. You are wrong, especially given that the OP is able and willing to do his own work.

Also, tell this to my over 341k mile 2003 4runner that I daily drive. It will laugh in your face.

11. Dec 6, 2023 at 1:30 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    Firstly, why would it laugh in my face! What does that analogy even mean? For reference ,my own 4runner is 14 years old and touching 200k.
    Secondly, no need to be so touchy about it. It's a 20 year old car, a car.
    Any vehicle that is 20 years old is outdated by today's standards. You can stay in denial.
    Just because it runs well and gets you from point A to point B in AC does not mean it's relevant as a daily driver.
    Everything improves when you move up a generation in the auto industry. Better parts, brakes, NVH levels, comfort, performance, everything.
    I have a 40 year old Yamaha 2 stroke. Pristine condition, recently restored . I ride it as often as I can. But I do not deny that it's a 40 year old motorcycle with 40 year old technology.
    I am not questioning your views on holding on to a 20 year old car, so I see no reason why you need to question mine.

Just for fun, sit in a 2023 4runner. It is miles ahead of your 2003 interms of everything.

12. Dec 6, 2023 at 1:54 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Outdated by the amenities and some features but if it gets you from point A to point B as well as any other vehicle, new or old, is it really out dated? Maybe by your standards but not mine or many other people.

Comparing a 40 year old motorcycle to a 20 year old car/truck is like comparing apples to oranges. It's an invalid comparison. If you used a 40 year old car, then you might have more of a point. But parts are available to update those 40+ year old cars and trucks to be on par with 2023 and newer vehicles.

I recently had a trip up to Seattle for a weekend. Ended up driving my rental home to Tucson. The rental was a 2023 Infinity QX55. Good little compact SUV, all the creature comforts, safety features, so on and so forth. $50k car in it's basic form. Horrible road noise compared to my 2003 4Runner, so you NVH argument is invalid. The 4th gen 4Runners have excellent NVH levels compared to new vehicles. As for comfort, the Infinity has a torture rack for the driver seat compared to my 4Runner. Both are standard leather interiors as my 4Runner is a Limited.

Parts aren't any better or worse just because a vehicle is newer. New parts for an old car are still new parts. And often are updated with revisions to make them better.

The performance of my 2003 4.7L V8 are on par with the performance of a 2023 V6. Maybe slightly less gas mileage but that's expected due to a V8.

A 2023 IS miles ahead of my 2003 4Runner. And the price is too. I have a far more capable 4Runner for half the price or less of a 2023 4Runner and it will go head to head with a new 4Runner any day.

Your argument is invalid to most people that do their own work and prefer older vehicles over the cost of a new vehicle.

For the sake of the OP and this thread, I'll not argue with you on this any longer. If you really want to continue the discussion on this topic, start a new thread.

13. Dec 6, 2023 at 3:06 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    I can add a rebuttal to everything you wrote but then again, to what end.

14. Dec 6, 2023 at 9:23 PM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    Things I’ve done to ‘update’ my 2004 4Runner:

- Scion head unit (gives me Bluetooth for music/phone calls)
    - led lighting inside and out
    - new OEM headlights and taillights to freshen up the looks
    - new wheels to freshen up the looks
    - added two usb ports in one of the center console blanks - to charge phones, etc

I don’t really know what else I’m missing that a newer 4Runner has. The limiteds (like mine) have heated seats, ac, auto headlights, it has leather, power seats, normal electrical outlet in the center console, awd + 4lo, rear spring suspension, DAC, etc.

I guess I don’t have like multi terrain selection but don’t think I’d use that anyways.

dont get me wrong you hand me keys to my 4Runner or a 2023 limited, I’m taking the 2023. But for 1/5th the cost I have a really great looking v8 4runner that has everything I need or even what the 2023 could offer.

the point of this post was to point out that for not much money you really can add features to bring it into current times with current creature comforts.

15. Dec 6, 2023 at 11:13 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Bottom line, it’s up to OP to decide what compromise they want. Yes, newer vehicles will likely have more modern additions and superior _____ and if OP doesn't care for the benefits the V8 4Runner offers over it's cons then they will likely be happier with a different vehicle for their dollar but as far as what's in the driveway now I think it's been covered. OP clearly isn't made of money.

16. Dec 7, 2023 at 2:18 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 258K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    @YodaRunHer - the average US used car payment is $528 and it’s $729 for new. So your total investment in your current vehicle would get you about a year’s worth of driving in a different one, with no guarantee that it won’t have issues of its own. It’s your call, just wanted to point out that perspective.

xtremewlr likes this.
  17. Dec 7, 2023 at 9:58 AM
    Well69

Well69 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited 4Runner
  18. Dec 9, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    YodaRunHer

Member:
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota 4runner
    None
    Looks like ill hang onto it for now. Its starting to grow on me. The more I look into it the more im convincing myself to keep it. Plus its a good training ground to learn how to replace parts and feel good about fixing my own vehicle. Its very rewarding. The v8 engine is a bit of a gas guzzler but that doesnt bother me since I work 9 miles away. Plus I have the wifes car if we ever have to take long trips. Thank you guys for your replies. Ill be around for a bit.

gkomo likes this.
  19. Dec 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM
    Well69

Well69 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited 4Runner
    You're welcome. Now, if you could be so kind as to fix everything and then sell it to me in a year or so once it's perfect, that would solid

Products Discussed in

To Top