1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will worn shocks hurt my new tires if I wait a week or two?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by phil04, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Nov 12, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    phil04

phil04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    New here, thank you for allowing me to jump in with a question.

Just purchased a 2013 Trail with 93K miles. I am in desperate need of tires, but my shocks also need replacing (according to Tire Kingdom). I want to order the 5100 adjustable set, but it looks like they're on back order. Can I safely replace my tires now and wait a week or two to source the shocks and get them installed, or will my new tires be severely impacted? I am not noticing anything when driving and any speed, but the guys at tire kingdom are telling me there are leaks and they're shot. Thank you!

2. Nov 12, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    if you are hitting bumps and the shocks are either bouncing up and down after the bump, or hitting bottom then they are blown. Otherwise they may not work as good and be a bit rough ride. This won't affect the tires much. It could if one end was riding lower

3. Nov 12, 2020 at 10:27 AM
    Skyblue88

Skyblue88 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    88 4runner blue unicorn
    Nothing yet.
    No

nimby likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    phil04

phil04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you for the replies. I'm thinking more about it and I haven't noticed any signs of issues while driving. I also completely forgot that I brought it over to Toyota yesterday to have them do their certified inspection on it, to see if it needed anything. Came back clean. I called them to ask and the tech says he didn't notice any issues. I'm having them finish the tires and will take a look at the shocks when I get it back. I've been up to 60 mph so far and didn't notice any vibrations or squirrely behavior. No noise over bumps either. If anything maybe there is a minor leak, but ok to drive on for a little while either way. Or, maybe they just saw they're older and thought they could get more money out of me...

5. Nov 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    It wouldn't be the first time a tire shop (or any other repair-type shop, for that matter) tried to up-sell a part that's not really needed...it's in their dna.

I'd get your new tires (elsewhere, maybe?), then if you want new shocks, order those and wait. You'll be fine.

p.s. - check out Eibach. Very comparable to 5100s, and might be more available.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Toy4X4 and nimby like this.
  6. Nov 12, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Starr

Starr Life Off the Road, off the Grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SouthEast Maui
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 3rd Gen 2017 quicksand TRD OR, T4R 5th Gen TRD ORP silver , Tundra 2000 TRD OR silver, Deere 5300 4wd, Wrangler 1994 ARB air lockers, 1998 BMW R100RTL.
    KDSS, Baja Sport amber fogs, PRO Black wheels, BFG KO2's
    Take care of the tires now, shocks when convenient. Old shocks on the way out won't do any harm. Rolling on bad rubber can mess you up seriously.

Mick4Yota and Toy4X4 like this.
  7. Nov 12, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    phil04

phil04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks all. I will check out the Eibachs as well. This was the only shop that could get it done today and I head out of town tomorrow. Not going crazy far, just a 200 mile round trip. However, I would rather not run on these tires, so I'm paying a bit more than I could elsewhere if I waited. This is mostly my fault as I wanted to get a tire that isn't generally in stock (Toyo OC AT3).

8. Nov 14, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    phil04

phil04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Quick update. Thank you again for all the replies. I got the tires installed and told them I'd hold off on shocks. I got under there and took a look as best I could but didn't see anything alarming. I couldn't see the part of the shock directly behind the wheel (rear driver side was apparently the 'bad' one), so I can't say 100% no issue, but there definitely isn't anything majorly wrong that can't wait a little bit. On a plus note, I took a 400ish mile round trip and they drove great (Toyo Open Country A/T III).

Mick4Yota, Starr, SlvrSlug and 2 others like this.
  9. Jan 7, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    Mick4Yota

Mick4Yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Limited 4Runner V8
    Bilstein 5100's, Toyo At2 tires
    Toyo at3's just bought 3 days ago. Good choice on our part! great tires. What size you have and load range?

10. Jan 7, 2021 at 10:22 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    The Toyo AT3 is what I have on mine as well. It is a nice tire for sure (you can see it in my profile pic).

Mick4Yota likes this.
  11. Jan 7, 2021 at 10:24 PM
    Mick4Yota

Mick4Yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Limited 4Runner V8
    Bilstein 5100's, Toyo At2 tires
    Test it out yet on any tough terrain or deep mud? Im waiting for a blizzard here in NY to try them

12. Jan 7, 2021 at 10:50 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I live in Arizona so it is mostly dry. However, I did take them off-road when we had some rain (that is where my profile picture came from). Anyways I had to go up this steep incline with sharp rocks pointing up, the traction points were wet, and I only had 1 route I could take. These tires didn’t let me down at all. I was in 4 low and didn’t even have to engage a-trac and got right up it without a fuss (little tire slippage). I will be honest I had to do a little extra work to open my door it was that steep. In regards to snow I haven’t had the pleasure of testing them yet.

I will be in Sedona, AZ this weekend and I will be taking the 4runner on some trails up there to go mess around, take family pictures, and such. I have a feeling I will be putting my new skid plates to work. If I remember I will share how the tires do up there. Everyone I chat with says the Toyo AT3 are really solid tires and people love them.

Products Discussed in

To Top