1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is Toyota's paint so terrible?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Trekker, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 at 3:36 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    I was touching up the paint on my 1997 and at the front there are hundreds of tiny scratches in the paint. They aren't deep enough to expose metal but it does take the color off. Around the edge of the headlights the paint has chipped off and surface rust has set in. Around where the panels meet there is always chipped paint and surface rust

Even taking into account that the 4runner is old, my family car was only 6 years newer and was driven 300,000 miles which is almost double my 4runner and it didn't have all these micro chips in its paint. Its not like the vehicle was driven off road either, it was garage kept when it was parked, and it lived its life on the road.

Is Toyota using nail polish to paint their car or do they cheap out on the paint?

mrmike7189 likes this.
  2. Sep 5, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Well being that its a 97, I'm surprised because older cars actually had better paint. HOWEVER it seems that there were a lot of Toyota trucks on the road that were rusting out and paint chipping. One guy saw my 2018 4Runner when I first bought it, it had a mirror finish and looking close you can see there is a orange peel texture which a lot of new cars now days have that texture. This is because all major automotive manufacture has changed their painting process to gear towards, cheaper and faster model. Thats why we no longer see the silky smooth paint we once knew.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  3. Sep 5, 2020 at 4:23 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    Because if the paint was thicker, it will collapse the tissue thin body panels.

4. Sep 6, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    V4runner

V4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vikash
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sr5 Premium
    Daystar Leveling Kit
    M
    my 2019 has had the worst paint ever! I would look at it and it would get scratched. I did a full paint correction and applied a very good ceramic coating and stopped taking it to the carwash that helped a lot. I detail my runner now and use a PH natural soap to protect the ceramic.

mrmike7189 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top