1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which transmission is best?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Tuffman, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Nov 17, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    Tuffman

Tuffman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    I'm looking to buy a 3rd Gen, anywhere from 1999-2002. I know that up through 2000 there were 5 speed manual transmissions, but they were discontinued in 2001 and 20002. The 2001 and 2002 years only had the 4 speed automatic transmissions. So my question is, which transmission is better and why? Part of the answer should definitely involve reliability. I'm interested to hear opinions and especially experiences.

2. Nov 18, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    A manual trans circumvents any concern about facing the dreaded "pink milkshake"

3. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:23 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Manuals are always more reliable. Manuals are better for offroading and as such will be more desirable as the cars move from the used car market and into the enthusiast market.

However, the Automatic in my car has gone 255k without any issue so if you get a sweet deal for a car with an auto...it shouldn't be a issue.

4. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Clutchplate

Clutchplate New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 4runner 3.4 Liter
    My 96 manual transmission has 475,000 miles and not a single issue.

shake007 and mem4runner like this.
  5. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    I LOVE reading stuff like this, 340k on mine :cheers:

Clutchplate[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    This is not true. I can do certain things much more easily with an automatic, where you would need to ride the clutch on a manual. There are advantages to each, but neither is hands down better than the other.

Toyota automatics tend to be very reliable. Manuals are very reliable as well, as long as the clutch gets replaced as needed.

A manual can be more enjoyable to drive, but an automatic is usually better for towing.

As far as the question at hand, I would go with personal preference.

canadian.bacon likes this.
  7. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:57 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Well, I disagree. There is literally nothing a manual cannot do that an automatic can. Rocking back and forth when stuck, controlling your RPMS when shifting, etc is really not a thing with automatics.

Towing? I'd rather have a manual. Don't see how an auto is better there. I believe they tend to go through more severe heat cycles and wear faster than manuals internally.

Automatics are really only good in one area which is easy drivability. They are nice for cruising and stop-and-go traffic.

True, "riding" the clutch properly is a skill but when done correctly it doesn't really wear the clutch that much.

However, my son has a used Mazda 5 with a manual. With the way he drives, a new clutch will come sooner than later. So I take your point on that front. A bad driver can make a manual be more expensive.

8. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

I feel like an auto is easier to control in low speed maneuvering. It's also easier to get a trailer moving with an auto. So, I guess my preference for an auto in off-road driving is just an opinion.

My point is that you're not getting anywhere in a manual that an automatic wouldn't make it. So, saying that it's "better" for off-road is only a matter of opinion as well.

This is coming from someone who prefers driving stick.

9. Nov 19, 2020 at 2:58 AM
    Trekker

Trekker Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    Well if we are gonna talk about towing, once you get that trailer moving the manual becomes better. You can engine break on a manual transmission, not something you could do with the automatics of that time.

Also its easier to push start a manual transmission. I wont down talk the benefits of an automatic, and I am heavily bias in favor of manuals. I think they are more fun to drive, simpler will always be more reliable, and you cant buy a manual SUV like this anymore. If you don't already have a manual transmission vehicle and you want one, then this will kill two birds with one stone.

negusm and mem4runner like this.
  10. Jul 3, 2021 at 4:38 AM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    Manuals are way overrated. Been a die hard manual guy most of my life, I even drove 18 speed manuals in big rigs and owned a 3rd gen manual but the allure of it to me is all but gone. I don't hate manuals but am appreciate of my auto

11. Jul 3, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    The autos in the 3rd Gen are an Aisin; bullet proof autos.

Anyone not acknowledging that is simply ignorant.

PorkRunner99 likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I guess I'm weird. I learned on a stick, a 57 Chevy Stepside pickup. 4 speed, but one was a granny low, so we seldom used it. Only for getting started when we had a full load of horse manure, or wood. Yeah, he let me use the truck, but I had to work to pay for everything. My father let me use it once I got my license, and I ran it through 3 clutches in the 2 years I drove it. I just loved breaking traction in that truck, especially out on a date. :D

Ever since, I'm a manual guy, all the way. I have a real problem with autos. Every time I try to stop, I stomp the heck out of the brake pedal, trying to hit the clutch. Really annoys my lovely wife, as she keeps winding up with a bruise from the seatbelt. :angrygirl: That brake pedal is just too wide. Humph...

But seriously, or as serious as I get, I do think that, being simpler, manuals are more reliable. Heck, all three of my trucks are manuals, all with their factory transmissions. No rebuilds, nothing. Yeah, a few clutches, especially the 87 4Runner, which is what I used for off-roading in Yuma (miserable place, Yuma), but I just change out the oil every few years, and they keep on truckin.
    I think car manufacturers got away from manuals because no one was learning them any longer. Which makes manuals a little more theft resistant, IMO. Just my opinion, though.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top