1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG KO2's or Toyo Open Country tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JBTRD, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Nov 15, 2016 at 7:38 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD [OP] As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    I am getting a 3in lift soon, and i need to figure out what tire is better. I will be running 285/70/17 size and be taking long trips and live in a wet climate so they need to be road worthy, but i go through deep and, black mud, and GA clay so it needs to be really good for off road. I was looking at BF goodwrich KO2 and the Toyo Open Country AT? Any one with some advice on which tire would be better for me.

Edit: I also want a tire that will last, i dont want to replace tires every 20k.

2. Nov 15, 2016 at 10:04 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    Neither of those do any good in mud or clay. They'll load up and turn into slicks

Look into a more aggressive AT style like a Goodyear Duratrac. They have a more open side lug similar to MT tires, but tight centers with lots of siping like AT tires. We've got about 30k miles on a set of the Duratrac's and they're just under 1/2 tread. Look like they'll go 45-50k before I pull them off to replace around 1/4 tread.

Ezsoul and Bob like this.
  3. Nov 15, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    4thgenBlake

4thgenBlake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '06 4Runner Murdered Out
    Toytec Boss, Bilstein 5100's, ARB 4x4 Accessories, Hella Offroad Lamps, Tinted windows, XD Series on 31" Duratrac 2.0's, 42" Curved Lightbar, Custom Decal/badging, Aftermarket Halo Angel Eye Headlights, Bedlined front/rear Logos + Roof Rack, Plasti-dipped Lettering
    Stay away from any m/t but I think you know that already. Like relentless said, duractrac 2.0 are a good tire, I used to live in Georgia and wheeled significantly with them through tight trails and mud back when I abused her and they did the job. Given I am lifted and rwd, I passed through wet conditions fairly good. Good on road too.

Can't give an accurate milage that I've had them since I didn't have my truck for months at a time and I have uneven wear patterns due to my toe. Solid shoe though

4. Nov 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I have read some reviews, but i still wonder do they roll when braking like a pair of Michelins i had, that was the worst tire i have ever owned, love their LTX AT2 but they suck in mud.

5. Nov 16, 2016 at 6:00 PM
    4thgenBlake

4thgenBlake New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '06 4Runner Murdered Out
    Toytec Boss, Bilstein 5100's, ARB 4x4 Accessories, Hella Offroad Lamps, Tinted windows, XD Series on 31" Duratrac 2.0's, 42" Curved Lightbar, Custom Decal/badging, Aftermarket Halo Angel Eye Headlights, Bedlined front/rear Logos + Roof Rack, Plasti-dipped Lettering
    Mine never did, and they're light and agile the let me glide through mud surprisingly well. Nothing that would completely incarcerate my vehicle, but I hit good sized mud holes. Even stopped in the middle of some shallow but deep sticky holes, and was able to crawl out. I recommend them

6. Nov 17, 2016 at 7:08 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I like that they look aggressive, and off road seen to do well, but how good are they on te road?

7. Nov 17, 2016 at 7:58 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    The duratrac is just fine on the road. Falls somewhere between a MT tire and a factory style All Season tire. Yes it's louder and a little heavier and won't handle as good as an all season highway tire like comes on the 4runner from the factory, but thats the tradeoff. If you want a tire thats tougher and bites better offroad you're going to lose a little bit on the street.

TN_TRAIL likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top