1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel offsets

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Commited, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    Im looking at purchasing some aftermarket wheels for my 4Runner but the offset / backspace thing has me somewhat confused. My question to you guys/gals since most of you have a lot more knowledge than me on this subject, The OR wheel are 17.5 have a +15 offset and a 4.50 backspace so my questions are 1) Will a wheel at 8.5/-12/4.28 backspace get me closer to OEM or 2) A wheel at 8.5/0/4.75 backspace get me closer to OEM? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  2. Apr 19, 2020 at 4:12 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I think the second one is your better option to keep things from rubbing up against internal components like control arms and steering. Depending on tire size above stock, the rubbing can appear on outer areas, though, like mud flaps and forward fenders/liners.

7.5” wide with +15mm offset means that the mounting surface is 15mm toward the outer surface of the wheel from center, resulting in the 4.5” of space. You can do the math for the wheels you’re considering to get the backspace you desire. There are several YouTube videos out there that can help you visualize the idea a bit more clearly.

Bob, Thatbassguy and Oldtoyotaguy like this.
  3. Apr 19, 2020 at 7:00 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Positive offset brings the wheel closer to the suspension, negative pushes outward.

The wheel with more backspace will be more likely to rub on suspension parts, while the wheel with less will more likely cause the tire to rub on the fender and mud-flaps.

I ran stock size tires with -6 offset, and rubbed on the mud-flaps while turning. This can sometimes be solved by heating up the mud-flap with a heat gun and pushing it tighter to the firewall. I never got around to it, though.

All that said, 4.28 is closer to 4.5 than 4.75. Most folks seem to prefer some negative offset to push the wheels out for a more aggressive look. I would probably go with the -12 offset and do whatever was needed to fix any rubbing.

4. Apr 19, 2020 at 11:44 AM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the wheels I really like have the -12 offset with 4.28 backspace. I was thinking the -0 offset with 4.75 back space were closer to the OEM and would need less trimming or modifying. I’m looking at 285/17/70 KO2’s. I had them on my Chevy and liked everything about those tires.

5. Apr 19, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

You'll be trimming or modifying to fit 285's regardless, so you might as well get the wheels you like best!:)

I just took off stock size KO2's in lieu of some 285 Toyo Open Country AT3's. I loved the KO2's, but I think these Toyos might be a little better in some circumstances.

I'm not sure how you are about rotating your tires, but I do it every 5K and the KO2's I just pulled off with 29K miles are still at 12/32", or about 80% of the original tread depth!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  6. Apr 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Im looking at C Load tires and comparing the KO’s with other brands in C Load, KO2’s are lighter. I’m not doing any Rock Climbing in my truck just offroad camping and stuff like that.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You're correct! I was curious, so I looked. The KO2 is 3# lighter than the Toyo in a C rated 285/70/17.

Don't get me wrong.. The KO2's were excellent in pretty much everything I threw at them! They were fantastic all around tires, in my opinion. It just sounded like these Toyos should be a bit better in snow and rain, so I thought I'd give them a shot.

8. Apr 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    Commited

Commited [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    I was looking at 275 C rated Falken wildpeaks and surprisingly the 275’s are about 6#’s heavier. Buy the way your build is looking sharp.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 19, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Thank you! I was all over the place trying to decide which tires to get. There are a lot of really good options out there.

10. Apr 20, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    Rngr188

Rngr188 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Harrison, AR
    Vehicle:
    Silver 20 TRD ORP
    Looking at Method's in 17x8.5 0 offset and 4.75" bs, on factory suspension with 265/70/r17 Toyo AT3 would I get any rub. I know all vehicles are different just wondering in case I do decide to get the wheels, tires are definitely coming.

Products Discussed in

To Top