1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What will I need to add to tow?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by vjcg, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Apr 13, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    vjcg

vjcg [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicki
    Last September I bought a 2018 Nissan Pathfinder (w/factory tow pkg) as I was about to pick up my new Casita travel trailer (17"L x 2500 lbs). Well now after a couple of 4 hour trips I don't think the Pathfinder can handle my future long distance travel plans. It sags at the rear badly even with a weight distribution hitch and it really struggles climbing up the Texas hills. I was able to get about 10-12 mpg :(. I've driven my friend's 2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited model and I was very impressed. Do all 2018 - 2020 4Runners models come with factory installed tow packages that include the receiver hitch as well as the cooling packages? Perhaps I only need the receiver hitch but I think the cooling package is important for mountain travels. Are there certain trim levels I should be looking at ? I've leaning towards 2019 model as I'm not ready to buy a $40K-$60K. I would contact a dealership but my experience has been they tell whatever it takes for a buy. I would like this car to last a long time. What are your thoughts?

2. Apr 14, 2021 at 6:32 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen LTD
    Fun fact, the pathfinder is one of the most unreliable vehicles you can buy. I can't imagine trying to tow with one. This a unibody vehicle.
    http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Nissan_Pathfinder.html

The pathfinder pairs poorly with the lifetime reliability the casita will provide you. This isn't common in travel trailers. Most will be headed to the landfill sometime around the 20 year mark. I commend your choice. I love seeing these out there.

The 4runner will pull your little trailer around very well once it is setup with the proper tow equipment. The 4runner is a robust body on frame suv. It will also tow for several hundred thousand miles. Something your Nissan won't be able to do not towing.

Any v6 4runner can be setup with the proper vehicle hitch and 7 pin wiring harness. The transmission cooler can also be added aftermarket. I will let someone more familiar with the 5 gen chime in on tow package specifics. Some will come with the tow package and make your life easier. Any mechanic could do the install of this equipment if your not the diy type.

You need a brake controller and
    Weight distribution with sway control.

I use blue ox but there are other fine options.

3. Dec 18, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    crashnburn

crashnburn New Member

Member:
    Kyx nerfbars, TRD roof rack.
    I've had 3 pathfinders. 1988 and 1998 were OK. They towed ok and went over 150k before their transmissions died. I have a 2013 pathfinder which is pretty crappy. Little things break on it. Quality control must be terrible. Both sun visors needed replacing from drooping. The plastic trim piece behind the door latches pops out. A power window motor needed to be replaced twice. I also needed a new catalytic converter. On top of this it is no longer an off road type vehicle. I like to drive on the beach and it usually can handle it. Last time I got stuck with the sand being a little deeper. I went right to looking at 4runners rather than take a risk on the new pathfinder. Nissan quality is no longer there. The pathfinder is now my wife's car.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  4. Dec 18, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    06_dark_knight

06_dark_knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mario
    Vehicle:
    06 sr5 in black
    Lights all around. IVD front standard travel
To Top