1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What jack to use for emergency/offroading?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by j2runner, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Oct 11, 2022 at 11:18 AM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm suffering a bit from analysis paralysis and can't decide on a bottle jack.

This would be primarily for an offroad recovery kit, and maybe occasionally in the garage to lift the front of the truck enough to install something (e.g., recovery points).

I'm not a "car guy", I don't have a driveway, and I'm covered by ToyotaCare for a couple of years, so I don't need a setup for regular maintenance.

Currently looking at the Powerbuilt 3 ton unijack (bottle jack + jack stand combined) or a torin bottlejack. The safejack omega bottlejack kits seem nice, but are quite a bit more expensive.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

2. Oct 11, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Whats your budget?

Torin bottle jack with a few pieces of wood will get you pretty far on the low.

I have one of those Powerbuilt 3tons and love it for use at the house, probably would take it off roading and itd be fine. I also have the safejack omega kit and 12" of extension i think, for those juuuuust in case times you need the extra length.

Money no object? Something like this https://agm-products.com/collections/lift-recovery/products/the-electric-jack

3. Oct 11, 2022 at 2:31 PM
    j2runner

j2runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    My budget is a little flexible, but perhaps not that flexible!

I think I'm comfortable spending ~$200 at the top end. I do appreciate the extensions/collars of the Safejack kit, but considering they sell the Omega jack itself for ~$90 (which itself seems a little inflated), they're charging $230+ for a case and the extensions/collars...

How big is the Powerbuilt unijack? It's hard to get a sense of scale from the photo. I don't plan on keeping it in the back 24/7, just when I plan on specifically going off road.

4. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:25 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Just don't get a High-Lift Jack unless you have the proper jacking points setup on the rig and really know how to use one otherwise busted windows and more can be the results, They are favored by many in the off road scene because you can do more than jack up to replace tires if you know how and by many who just wanna have that Off Road "Look". BTW below is what I carry Yeah I know I know it is from a Land Rover but for a compact dependable very high lifting Jack it is very hard to beat.

upload_2022-10-11_20-30-28.jpg

Trail Runnah and Henry J like this.
  5. Oct 11, 2022 at 11:23 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Just an FYI.
    If you're working with the OEM screw type jack in soft terrain, a HiLift jack base (the plastic one) is a perfect fit for the OEM jack base.
    Although a block of wood or a thick piece of plywood might be free, the plastic base does not splinter. But you can't (shouldn't) burn it. So there's that.

6. Oct 12, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    I dont have it in front of me but I'd estimate it right around 1 cubic foot. Maybe a bit taller with the u-shaped jack point in position. Found this video for a bit of scale i think is proportionate
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAESeb8R6IM

7. Oct 12, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Oh my I really could not see packing something like that powerbuilt jack around in the back of the 4Runner when going off road nope not going to happen.

8. Oct 14, 2022 at 7:29 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Factory bottle jack is completely capable of lifting the vehicle at factory suggested lift points, (IMO, after similar analysis paralysis, I concluded it’s actually preferable for limited use and off road situations, as hydraulic seals can leak on rarely used jacks).

If you are on soft surfaces, or taller tires, use a solid block of wood or the bottle jack pad previously suggested.

If you are planning to work under the vehicle while lifted, spend money on a good set of jack stands instead.

Practice using the factory bottle jack at home. That’s when you’ll realize this is not a problem that needs fixing. You’ll hate the time it takes to crank it up all the way, but for occassional use, it’s not worth the weight, loss of space, or possible oil leaks of a hydraulic jack.

Products Discussed in

To Top