1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do ya think???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Lonely lake guy, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    Lonely lake guy

Lonely lake guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver 4Runner Limited
    Yes I'm new to this website & forum..

I recently purchased a 2012 Toyota 4Runner limited that is in excellent shape.
    I knew when I got it that I wanted to do just a couple of mods. simply to give the vehicle more of a off road look ( not off road use, look)

So I've been doing a ton of research & this forum has helped tremendously with that research.

Now this is where I have to explain something. My 2012 is equipped with the original X-Reas suspension system ( that currently is working as it should) After doing research I found that you cannot do any kind of a lift on a Toyota 4runner that has a X-Reas system simply because all shocks are connected hydraulic to each other. To do a lift the X-Reas system has to be disabled & removed.
    So because of that is it really worth dumping a nearly $4,000 system that's working to install a minimum $1,500 lift??

So my only other option is a leveling kit or spacer kit.

I'm looking at a Daystar 2.5 front 1.5 rear & just so you know installing the front spacers on the existing X-Reas coil shock is not going to be easy simply because one cannot disconnect & remove that coil shock because it's connected to a hydraulic line.
    Now it I go this route I'm also going to have new U.C.R's installed & a front drop diff. kit installed.
    I read a lot of argument back & forth about needing or not needing those two items installed, but I look at it this way.....the X-Reas system is not going to last forever & when it goes it will be at that time that I have a lift installed & I will already have newer U.C.R.'s on it & the drop down diff. kit.

Without yelling or being verbally abusive to me ( y'all hurt my feelings) does this sound like a good plan???

P.S.
    I'm not a mechanic nor am I mechanically inclined so any work I have done I have to have a good shop do it for me.

2. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:53 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    If you're not planning on off-roading the truck, a spacer kit should be fine. Getting the upper control arms right away seems like a good idea to me. Of course a real suspension lift is usually the best option, but in your situation I think spacers are fine.

However, if you're not really concerned about keeping the XREAS functional, then there's nothing wrong with removing it and installing the suspension you really want. A lot of the better lift kits will firm up the ride and you might not even miss the XREAS.

Also, if the system is in working condition, you might find someone interested in buying it from you to replace their own failed system. This could offset the cost of your lift. I'm not sure how difficult it is to transfer the parts, though.

Welcome to the forum!

BestGen and WallyT4R like this.
  3. Nov 24, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    What is your reasoning for wanting a lift at all? These vehicles are extremely capable as is with good tires on them. You could instead spend your money on some skids and sliders and probably be just fine

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Nov 24, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    Lonely lake guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    WallyT4R
    Reason for the lift is I'm not off road as I mentioned but I go to camp in Ontario a lot & the road getting into camp after leaving the main highway is a forty mile long very rough gravel road with many pot holes & the now & then washout's, so it would be nice to have a bit more clearance.

WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  5. Nov 24, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    My opinion......get rid of the Xreas and do a mild, functional lift.

Get something that will ride nice on the road and perform on the gravel road you speak of. Eibach has some really nice front adjustable shocks that sound perfect for your situation.

You shouldn't need UCAs or a diff drop with these if you keep your lift around 2.5" or less.

6. Nov 24, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    Lonely lake guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Appreciate it nimby, I got to tell ya & I think I'm overthinking the whole lift/ no lift/ spacer thing way to much, say that cuz my head's a spinning trying to figure this out..

Thatbassguy and nimby like this.
  7. Nov 24, 2019 at 12:48 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    No worries. I’m sure it will feel weird disabling a working system like XReas, but a lot of people do it. Once you get it out of the way, you’ll be free to customize your suspension in a way that works better for your needs.

8. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Al, good luck with your decision. Sometimes you just need to take a break from the situation and the answer will present itself. If you decide to replace you can't go wrong with the Eibach as @nimby mentioned. I have them in the front and they are solid. If you decide to amp it up and go big with Kings, check out @Agent_Outside s build. He also has a very fine example of a limited. Any way please keep us informed and again, good luck

nimby likes this.
  9. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Well I think you have a great vehicle that will last for hundreds of thousands of miles. It’s up to you to personalize it if you want but I would keep the stock parts around incase you want to convert it back to original...I would start with the simple stuff, like scheduled oil changes, I keep a sticker it the front left corner of the windshield with change interval dates. Maybe do a front/rear, transfer fluid change. This will familiarize you with the vehicle...and freshen up the trans....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  10. Nov 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    Lonely lake guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    I have a quick follow-up question to this.
    I had a fix it shop owner ask me this question.
    If someone disables & removes the X-Reas system, does that cause the on board computer to send alarm bells? In the owners manual I do see not any sign of a warning light for X-Reas...

11. Nov 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Not that I have heard.

12. Nov 25, 2019 at 8:11 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Maybe start a new thread with this question as the title. You will get some more visibility from Limited owners who have removed Xreas.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Nov 25, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    Lonely lake guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Ok, will do.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  14. Aug 23, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    Ruthven13

Ruthven13 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Limited V8
    I am having a hard time finding a leveling kit that will work with my x-reas system. I am not interested in taking it all out and doing a new setup. I just want to level it. Also have the rear air shocks. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top