1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Washington state vehicle registration fees?

Discussion in 'North West U.S.' started by Jedi5150, Feb 16, 2023.

1. Feb 16, 2023 at 1:37 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Hello all, I'd appreciate any help from our Washington state 4Runner owners. I'm thinking of moving there (please don't get into the pros and cons, I've heard them all 1000 times haha), and I'm trying to figure out generally what my vehicle registration fees will be (both initial and annual renewal).

I've been to the Washington state DMV website and looked under fees, but there are so many unknown/ hidden fees that I can't figure out anything accurate. My truck is a 2022 4Runner.

Here's why I ask; Colorado, where I currently live, has "low" vehicle registration fees, but it's a complete joke...I paid over $1,000 to register my new 4Runner when I bought it back in June. Because even though the registration fee itself is not expensive, Colorado has a state property tax on vehicles, based on MSRP, of over $750 per year for a 2022 4Runner (that's in addition to the sales tax of actually buying the truck).

Basically, I'm trying to find out if I'm in for another huge shock when I move to Washington. I read that Washington is one of the 23 states that don't have a property tax on vehicles, but I know there may be other fees. Anything under $500 annually will be better than I've done in decades (I moved to Colorado from California).:annoyed:

2. Feb 16, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    Check with Colorado to see if you'll get a credit/rebate on the remaining fees once you register your Runner in Washington state. I know they give credit if you change registration (Runner => Tundra in my case) but am not sure if they do when you leave the state. I'm pretty sure there's a fee calculator on the CO DMV site somewhere - maybe WA has one too?

Jedi5150[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2023 at 5:16 PM
    Ricphoto

Ricphoto New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ric
    PacNW
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 Oyster pearl / Limited Nightshade
    When doing your research be sure to check at the county level....when I bought in King county they calculated over $650 to register...shocked me till I notice they didn’t have my current residence in Kitsap county...re-Calc showed $167.00...be sure to note the differences in taxes and fees on this level...

Jedi5150[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2023 at 5:34 PM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    Holy cow, good to know, thanks for the head's up.

5. Feb 16, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Colorado doesn’t give credit refunds, unless things have changed. Colorado native.

Now they may find a way to charge you for oxygen.

Jedi5150[OP] likes this.
To Top