1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration at 50mph??

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Nick122, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Jul 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM
    Nick122

Nick122 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD
    So I have a 2020, I just installed bilstein 5100s all around, instilled Camburg Performance Uniball Upper Control Arms and now she’s sitting on Icon vector 6s in 285 KO2s. I got a wheel balance and alignment everything is all good so they said but around 50MPH I get a vibration in the steering wheel. Not sure what’s causing this, has anyone else experienced this or have any knowledge of what the issue could be?

2. Jul 27, 2021 at 2:38 PM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    If I had a dollar for every steering wheel wobble/vibration thread.....

Anyway, yes...very typical with this truck and its sensitive front end. Best bet is an excellent tech who uses a flange plate adapter on the 6 lugs. Do it with the tires warm right when you get to the shop.

Do a search and you will read for days....

7385, Toy4X4, Roland and 3 others like this.
  3. Jul 27, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    moorei2

moorei2 New Member

Member:
    New York
    Matt83's advice above is sound. Tons of info on this topic on the forum as well.

I am not sure where you had your wheels balanced but I would take it to a shop the specializes in aftermarket wheels/offroad tires. Lookup performance wheel/tire shops or off-road shops in your area.

I dealt with this issue past weekend. 285 KO2s and SCS wheels and I had to go to dealer for some work I needed OEM and I made mistake of asking them to check the wheel balance. Knowing that the KO2s have been on there for a year, but I had them balanced recently due to vibrations, and while the vibrations where fixed, the amount of weight on each wheel was crazy!

Long story short, spent half a day a dealer and they couldn't get wheels balanced (and providing me tons of excuses why). I was recommended a performance shop, took it there and they balanced it no problems.

As long as your wheels are hub centric there is no reason your wheel/tire combo can get balanced (unless you have a bad wheel or tire)

Toy4X4 and Roland like this.
  4. Jul 29, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    Don't waste your time, take it to a specialized alignment shop (performance shop) like moorei2 said. Will save you money & frustration.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  5. Jul 29, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I'm pretty sure the vibration is caused my poor wheel balance. I see many blame on wheels and tires and not using shops thata are capable of doing proper wheel balance. A proper shop with Roadforce balance should do the job.

I'm very happy with the DiscountTire near my house who balance perfectly from my stock Nitto Terra Grappler G2s to KO2s and my newest GY Duratracs.

Toy4X4 and Roland like this.
  6. Jul 29, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Exactly, I changed from Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17 to Bf Goodrich KO2's 285/70/17 with Discount Tire no balance problems, no vibrations, no shimmy. I have used the same shop for many years and all my tire needs, never had a problem.

Hence, for a total alignment after a lift, I prefer a specialized alignment shop.

Toy4X4 and moorei2 like this.
  7. Jul 29, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    moorei2

moorei2 New Member

Member:
    New York
    If you can get a good wheel balance at dealership or Discount Tire, then I am jealous and no need to change something that works.

My experience (and it seems several others from threads I have read on this and the other forum) is that once you both aftermarket wheels AND larger AT/MT tires, your chances of dealer or non-specialty tire shop being able to balance, even with Roadforce is smaller.

I literally watched the dealer struggle to balance my wheel/tire combo using Roadforce. Mind you, they were balanced and riding smooth when I drove into dealership. I just felt the amount of weight was crazy on the wheels which were balanced at Firestone not using a Roadforce balancer (about a month ago). So they peeled the weights off and tried to balance with Roadforce and couldn't get it perfect. Performance shop balanced it perfect no problem.

Go with whatever works and is easiest I say.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  8. Jul 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    If balancing dont work (probably will)
    front driver side needle bushing
    OR live with it...goes away after 60mph or so

Toy4X4 likes this.
  9. Jul 29, 2021 at 12:33 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I said the same for OP's case, If problems can't be solved "Don't waste your time, take it to a specialized alignment shop (performance shop) like moorei2 said. Will save you money & frustration."

Toy4X4 and moorei2[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jul 29, 2021 at 1:47 PM
    Gumpus

Gumpus New Member

Member:
    If you take it to a shop that can measure road force variation you might ask them to tell you what they measure on every tire/wheel assembly...because if one tire measures especially high you may want to try to return it. When I worked in automotive the spec for max road force variation was 12 pounds for passenger car tires and 18 pounds for light truck tires (IIRC). If a tire has high enough road force variation it can't be "balanced" (really just making the tire/wheel act like it's more round by aligning lowest spot on wheel to stiffest spot on tire). Also, if it's steering wheel vibration that means it's the front wheels that are driving the vibration so swapping the fronts and rears may clean up the vibration.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  11. Jul 29, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    My KO2s wobble till they are warm. So do tons of people. If they aren't balanced while warm them they will wobble.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  12. Jul 29, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    Nick122

Nick122 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD
    I’ve had my balance done twice by an off-road shop so I’d image that it would be okay.

went back through and checked all the bolts to make sure everything was tight. Noticed one of my bushing on my UAC is shifting so I’m going to dig into that this weekend, and rotate my tires to see if that helps at all if not I’ll call a discount tire or another shop to get everything aligned and balanced again. If anyone is in SoCal and knows a solid place please let me know. 812C0ADB-FFF2-4F4B-A1AC-AE12B95BF7E7.jpg

Toy4X4 likes this.
  13. Jul 29, 2021 at 4:56 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    http://www.globemotorsports.com/
    http://jmptrustauto.com/
    https://www.americantirecenters.com/
    https://www.tiresbuymark.com/Auto-Repair/Alignment-Shop
    https://lamesaautomotive.com/services/

14. Jul 29, 2021 at 6:20 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    ^^This is not how the bushing should look. I'm confused how it's moved? Did you grease it?

ruiz4251 likes this.
  15. Jul 30, 2021 at 4:30 PM
    Emmantik

Emmantik New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey SR5P

Products Discussed in

To Top