1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Yoterguy96, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Jan 4, 2019 at 12:48 AM
    Yoterguy96

Yoterguy96 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaxon
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3.0 v6 5 speed manual 4x4
    Bone stock!
    I REALLY DONT WANT TO PULL THE TRANSMISSION AGAIN... but I feel like I’m going to have to
    I was driving home to the Phoenix area from Camp Pendleton for leave, when I got to gila bend... all my problems began.
    Lost all gears except for 4th. Finally made it home and began looking for a replacement, searched craigslist, letgo, and OfferUp. But to my dismay found nothing. Finally a week later I saw an add in Tucson for a whole 4runner with a bad motor for $350 that had just been posted 11 min prior! Immediately contacted the guy, found out that the transmission was still good, and offered him $400 to take the add down that night and told him I would be there with cash the next evening to pick it up. Man, getting that thing home was definitely wild and a great story but I will save that for later if anyone is interested in hearing about it in the replies or a different thread lol.
    Long story short, I pulled the trannys out of both my 4runner and this parts one, and put the parts tranny into mine. Before I re-installed the (supposedly) good tranny, I replaced the front seal. Figured it was a good idea. But after installation and the first test drive I saw that it was pouring gear oil out the bell housing! I did not have time to do anything else because I had to make the drive back to Cali the next day and it was already late in the evening. On my way back I made sure it always had oil, I stopped 3 times and topped it off and I made it back ok.
    I don’t want to have to keep dumping oil in it only to have it end up on the ground. So before I tear it out again, does anyone have any ideas on what would cause it to leak out of the front other then from the front seal? This is the first time I have done any work on a transmission ever, all input is welcome.

2. Jan 5, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Yoterguy96

Yoterguy96 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaxon
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3.0 v6 5 speed manual 4x4
    Bone stock!
    Update
    I pulled the transmission again

It turns out, it was leaking out of the front seal, or atleast I think it was. Upon inspecting the front of the transmission after pullin it out, I tilted it forward and gear oil ran out from the housing that holds the input shaft seal (what I’ve been calling the front seal, idk what it’s supposed to be called but I’ve heard both) out of the hole that has the input shaft sticking out. So I assumed it must’ve been that seal.

I pulled the housing off and saw that the seal was not seating in all the way, it was in a little crooked, AND there was a small tear on the inner diameter part of it. So as far as I can tell, it had to be that. Got a new seal put it in the right way with a bearing/seal press, got 4 of the bolts back in the bell housing, and put all the bolts to the crossmember back in.

I’m going to Finish putting the rest of the transmission bolts in and everything else back on in the morning and see how she does!

Products Discussed in

To Top