1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trails For Beginners, Training Trails

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by K-Paul, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Feb 28, 2022 at 8:57 AM
    K-Paul

K-Paul [OP] Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    This year I am hoping to get to do Red Cone. When I read reviews on the trail, I am concerned that despite a modest amount of wheel time off-road, I might not have the experience necessary to handle the descent. Outside of having fresh brake pads and an inspection on my emergency brake (which may prove to be pretty useless in an emergency anyway), I want to get some more wheel time on steep descents so that despite traveling with an experienced crew, I can have more than the usual preparation.

I recognize that any trail can be dangerous at any point, but that said:

• What are trails that you suggest for practicing steep descents where the margin of error is not a 1,000 foot drop to the side?
    • Any trails you suggest for ascents for beginner drivers?
    • Any trails you suggest for water crossings? (I will immediately vote for the OOAT since that's where I get most of my wheel time)
    • Points of advice you want to provide to those newer to off-roading?
    I have my thoughts but will share later to allow others to give their input. I will update the list as you guys list them. Thanks!!

Ascending Trails
    • TBD

Descending Trails
    • TBD

Water Crossings
    • Ozark Overland Adventure Trail (OOAT) Ozark National Forest, Arkansas

Easy/Beginner Trails (Rocks/Sand/Mud)
    • Oachita National Forest, Arkansas

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  2. Feb 28, 2022 at 7:20 PM
    KYFHO

KYFHO Generic Scumbag

Member:
    UT
    2017 SR5P with some stuff
    4LO, S1, DAC on and keep your feet off the pedals. You’ll be fine

Trail Runnah and SlvrSlug like this.
  3. Mar 1, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    I'm sure that will be the case, but it does not answer my question. 4LO, S1, DAC? Anyone can do that on a graded parking lot.

Showing up on an extreme trail with basic skills is not only dangerous for you and your passengers, but is also a lack of consideration for other people and families on a trail.

Basic skills is no replacement for gaining experience. An example is the amount of people that do not use trail etiquette today is staggering. Even the basics such as a car going up has right of way or using your hands to notify drivers how many cars are behind you is ignored.

4. Mar 3, 2022 at 4:52 AM
    KYFHO

KYFHO Generic Scumbag

Member:
    UT
    2017 SR5P with some stuff
    You make a fair point. By no means should a complete novice just head for a trail and let the tech take over. Common sense and even modest experience off toad trumps tech.

im not a crazy rock crawling off-roader who lives to hit the Rubicon or Fordyce whenever I can, but I do have a fair amount of wheel time. 11 years in the wireless industry has sent me to some wild places. The first time I took my 4Runner out on a fun trip in the CA desert, I was faced with a gnarly, steep drop. About 500’ and a mixture of rock, loose rock, and sand. It was also posted one-way, so no upward traffic allowed. I did the combo that I mentioned before, mainly just to try it out, and the 4R walked down that drop like it was nothing. The rest of that trail was an event though.

And yes, trail etiquette in general is lacking. Try going to Big Bear on Fathers Day weekend when the Jeep clubs take over and see what a shit-show that is.

Trail Runnah and K-Paul[OP] like this.
  5. Mar 3, 2022 at 5:37 AM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    LOL.... agreed, that is one thing I learned quickly is to avoid activities on holidays as much as possible.

6. Mar 3, 2022 at 6:08 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I would look into taking some classes if I were you. Here in the Northeast there are a few guide services that hold novice trail runs that are focused on off-road driving and recovery basics

I'd recommend finding similar in your area before going out alone.

K-Paul[OP] likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2022 at 6:15 AM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    Oh no, Red Cone and the such would take place with a group. Just want to do some trails that have a higher safety point (areas with runoff).

If you go off the path on the Red Cone descent, you're pretty much a goner. Kind of like the Odoyle's but without the banana peel........

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Mar 3, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Gotcha. I think it's very smart of you to want to get some experience under your belt first.

Are there any local groups in your area? Maybe try to get involved with them, and maybe find a buddy with some experience who will take you under his wing?

I went on an overlanding type trip last fall and met someone like that. I thought camping in a field for a weekend was exciting; he was telling me about the month long trip out west he just got back from, haha.

9. Mar 3, 2022 at 6:43 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I just finished watching this video, it may be helpful. This is pretty good channel, though he doesn't have a lot of subscribers, the content is good. If you scroll through his videos he has a few on driving basics, such as driving in sand, driving in snow, etc.

https://youtu.be/u1QgCufxNrA

K-Paul[OP] likes this.
  10. Mar 4, 2022 at 7:29 AM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Good planning, once to you make it down Red Cone, drops down to the little snake head waters go up over Radical hill. Continue on into Breckinridge.

dougfresh and K-Paul[OP] like this.
  11. Mar 4, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    4 low 1st gear. Just find places to practice. With my 4Runner, I find myself still needing to use the brakes a lot going down hill. 4 low 1st gear for me still = 3 to 4 mph. Which in my opinion is still too fast.

I could probably use a regear to lower gearing.

K-Paul[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 21, 2022 at 8:43 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Don’t give up on the emergency brake! With a bit of attention, you can dial in the adjustment so that it will work well to hold the weight of a vehicle on an incline. I adjusted mine twice in the first 15k miles or so. Now I have almost 30k and havent touched it since.

Just the other day, I gave it gas with the e-brake fully engaged, and was honestly surprised how well it held against the engine before it finally started to creep.

Of course, the e-brake doesnt do as well if you are already moving and going downhill.

I’m no trailmaster, but I have trouble relying on DAC on a steep decent. Mentally, I just cant do it, especially since DAC cant account for what you see coming up, that it can’t. So if Im gonna be on the brakes anyway, DAC just off.

I suppose it helps if you have a heart attack on the decent, to save the innocent townfolk below.

Products Discussed in

To Top