1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traction control help

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 4x Old Guy, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Dec 22, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    I Have a 2003 Tacoma 4x with manual trans and txfr, open diffs, no mods, OEM size tires (Big-O Bigfoot A/T) since 2005 (250,000 miles) and I’ve never gotten stuck with it. I’ve added a 2019 ORP to my stable (bone stock except for the same Big-O tires that are on the Tacoma that are actually rebranded Cooper AT3s), but all the fangled traction control has gotten me stuck twice in the 1 year I’ve owned it.

First time one front wheel got buried above the axle in a hole filled with quicksand. Tried to back out with ATrac at max, but, the best I could tell, I never had all wheels digging therefore something should have hooked up but it didn’t. Not sure if the Tacoma would have faired much better, but it does have a couple extra inches of clearance. Got pulled out by a friend.

Second time I was going up a road(?) that was going up the face of a sand hill (course sand with gravel mixed in). I got a good run at it (old dirt bike technique) but the Runner got slower and slower as it went up the hill and the hill started to taper off. Eventually it wouldn’t go any further. I got out and checked and found almost perfect tread marks in the sand and little to no evidence of any digging in. Was able to back down the hill without incident. Tried 2 or 3 more times with same result so I started backing out. Almost got stuck trying to back over a little 6 ft sand hill I had come over on the way in. Nearly the same results but after a few unsuccessful tries (it seemed like it wasn’t digging in but was just slowing down), then airing down to 20psi and driving backwards like a maniac, I was able to crest the hill and get out.

I’m a little spooked to really go exploring with my runner and would feel more confident in my old Tacoma. Any ideas from those with more experience with the fangled computerized traction out there?

I have two goals. 1. Be able to dumb it down so it performs like my old trusty Tacoma. 2. Learn how to utilize all the fancy traction control to full advantage.

Thanks.

Starr likes this.
  2. Dec 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
  3. Dec 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Good video choice for helping!

4. Dec 22, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    Why shouldn’t it when you do it purposely?

5. Dec 22, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    4x Old Guy

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Good video of the T4R pulling itself out of the sand using ATrack, but, how does one know:

1. What combination of buttons had to be enabled or cleared to get it to do that?

2. As long as it took for it to climb out, how would one know in the early stages that it’s not just digging itself in deeper and high siding on the skid pan and/or axle?

6. Dec 22, 2019 at 1:24 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I’m sure it was a Crawl Control job and fact is that you should try it in easy situations to get in comfort with it, so give it a try when you’re wheeling with friends that could help you.
    There is several videos of 4runners and Tacoma’s using Crawl Control and I have to say I love the idea that there is a system in board that can get my out of something when I can’t

doublewide and 4Runner fun like this.
  7. Dec 22, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    4x Old Guy

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Yes, I’ve seen a couple of videos where crawl control has been used as “unstuck control”. I just hope I will remember that as an option when the time comes. What I am trying to figure out is how to use the various traction related features to keep from getting stuck in the first place.

How do I get all 4 wheels pulling while still allowing some some expected slippage when climbing is soft terrain (sand, for example, where maintaining momentum is more important than maintaining absolute traction) or pushing through snow?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  8. Dec 22, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo

Not sure brotha. There’s a ton of videos on all the electronic stuff on YouTube. I’d recommend getting some knockoff traction boards, though.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  9. Dec 22, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    Matze

Matze Fremdsprachler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lady Lake, FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner ORP
    I would say find others that wanna “play” too, grab what you’ll need for tailgating in between and afterwards and try it out. I’ll do that soon, that’s part of the fun that i was looking at buying a 4Runner
    I’m sure there is soon a lot of others that wanna try out there mods that came at Xmas.
    Sure all the videos and even the manual will give you some ideas but I think theory needs practice!

10. May 4, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    lurch

lurch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota
    1 is the tire this helps there are a number of brands get a mud, sand style tread sidewall design for rocks then you go slow and steady speed you are running in this will take you through most of anything and with little slippage if you do bog down then use crawl to get out

11. May 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    rkwfxd

rkwfxd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Whittier - So Cal
    FWIW I have a 2018 TRD ORP with all the fancy stuff. I typically just put it in 4Lo and engage the locker and it goes where I point it. But I have not spent much time in soft sand.

7385 and doublewide like this.
  12. Aug 20, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    First off 20 psi is not low enough for sand dunes you need to be at ≤10 psi. Second all this ABS induced traction control is fairly hopeless technology because anyone who has spent some time in the sand knows four things:
    1. Floatation
    2. Momentum
    3. Locked axles
    4. Horsepower
    These win the day in the snow sand and mud. Traction control that is not using technology in the diffentail is only able to apply the brake/s to the spinning wheel/s. This kills both momentum and the horsepower. Most new SUV's have plus sized tires and wheels for "better performance" but that is really for the pavement! The inability to flatten the contact patch and reduce the ground pressure with a shallow section height tire does not help with making this happen for good flotation. As for tread style it doesn't matter. It is the airing down and the rubber compound that makes the difference and like I have already said ≤ 10 psi is the ballpark pressure you want. If you unseat a bead well then if your cornering that hard you had better get some beadlocks and forsake your DOT legal wheels. As for roosting and using the thrown sand for gaining momentum this is not going to happen with our basically stock 4Runners. The best trick I know of is running the 31x10.50-R15's on the OEM 4runner wheels which are 15 x 7. With a section width of 10.50" to a rim width of 7.00" the mismatch is very stablable with super low tire pressures and works well in sand dunes. Pre running down a sand wash in Baja is another thing and bead locks seem to be all the rage these days.

Starr likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Yeah, agtparker, I agree, momentum and HP is how we all did it back in the day. It’s hard to suppress those instincts when driving a modern 4x4. I’ve tried to update my impulses and use modern technology and I’ve been surprised by how well it works.

14. Aug 23, 2020 at 7:02 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    You need to turn off your traction control in 4 High.
    Hold the button until 2 lights pop up on your dash.

Note turning off the vehicle will reset the traction control.

I still haven't done any dune driving but... in my research if you plan to use 4 High, you should turn off the TC and then manually shift it to 3rd gear.
    3rd gear will prevent the transmission from going into higher gears which will kill power and momentum.

Shifting into 4 Low will automatically turn off the traction control.

When I off road I mostly use 4 Low and 3rd gear or lower. 1st gear 4 Low is great for slowly going down rocky hills.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  15. Aug 23, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Here's a more or less stock Subaru going up the test hill at Silver Lake Dunes in MI. No bead locks no monster tires.
    I'd bet his TSC is off and most likely has aired down tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBibFdMIRU

Oldtoyotaguy and nimby like this.
  16. Aug 23, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I love seeing stock and near stock vehicles just doing the job. No mad max look or monster tires. Sometimes the aesthetics has nothing to do with the capability.

DRobs[QUOTED] and nimby like this.
  17. Aug 23, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Excellent advert for Subaru!!