1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tpms sensors

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MyFirst4Runner2006, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Oct 17, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    MyFirst4Runner2006

MyFirst4Runner2006 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2006 4Runner
    I recently got new tires put on. Before they were actually put on, the shop tested all the sensors and called to inform me one of my tpms sensors was corroded. (My light had been on for about 3 months, all my tire pressures were accurate so this seemed legit). They told me it needed to be replaced but they didn't have any in stock. I asked if this was something that could be done later, they confirmed it was, so I had them put on my new tires. A week later, I brought my vehicle in to have the sensor replaced. When I picked it up, my TPMS light was still on and I was informed that the "Because the other sensors weren't working, the light would remain on". After speaking with the shop manager, he informed me that upon "reprogramming/powering up" it can often times "surge and blow" an older sensor and cause them to fail. I bought my 2006 4Runner used, and don't know if they are the original tpms sensors or not. Certainly if they are, they could stand to be replaced. But the main question is, can what I described above happen, can they be "Blown" upon start up...is this a real thing or could I have been given some bad information?

wrightme43 likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2022 at 11:15 AM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    Never heard of that being a thing... but I'd ask them if they would honor buying 3 more new TPMS units and they install them for free since they all worked when you went to the shop, but are not now?

Also, its always a good idea to replace TPMS units if they are 4-5 years old and you are getting new tires. Batteries in them average out around 5 years.

3. Oct 17, 2022 at 11:23 AM
    Overland WT

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Also, confirm they put a 315mhz in and not a 433mhz. Toyota switched broadcast signal from 314.9 to 433 in 2007/08 I believe.

4. Oct 17, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    2020 4Runner

2020 4Runner New Member

Member:
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5, 2020 SR5 Tundra DC
    The frequency change does not mean that the ECU will read them though. I know they won't on the
    Tundra side of the house.

5. Oct 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM
    Overland WT

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    The ECU can not read what it is not programmed for. That's why making sure they installed the correct frequency is not part of the problem. Another unrelated issue is programmable TPMS units. They can be programmed for whatever frequency the vehicle calls for. From what i've read they are having a much higher fail rate across the industry than standalone single frequency units. Dont know why, just an issue that's being reported.

Products Discussed in

To Top