1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing with a 2018 4runner SR5

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Maisie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Jan 30, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    Maisie

Maisie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Grey 4Runner
    Hello, before i bought my 20184runner i had searched these threads on how the members did with towing with their vehicles. I found that towing 5000lbs is well within the limits of this vehicle. I have a epro camper 3275lbs empty. It seems that the epro forum members think a 4runner is a bad choice for towing? I dont understand this thinking. What is your opinion on this?

2. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:02 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
  3. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:15 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Short wheelbase vehicles aren’t ideal for towing heavy loads. I’m sure the 4runner can handle it just fine as long as you take it slow. I’ve seen some members on here or other forums towing some serious weight. With that said, I’ve never towed anything with mine and am not expert, so that’s just my opinion:hattip:

4. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Maisie

Maisie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Grey 4Runner
    thanks

5. Jan 30, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I use to tow a pop up camper that weighed about 4K pounds fully loaded. I live in Arizona and it was 110+ outside and we made a trip up to northern Arizona. Let’s just say it was several thousand feet in elevation change. The 4Runner did awesome. Granted I could maintain 70 mph with my foot on the floor with a steep climb. However, I did that to test the capability but I would recommend taking it slow, don’t push the RPM’s. Plan on staying in the right lane with the truckers hauling a heavy load. Also make sure to enjoy the ride. Most trailer tires are rated for a speed limit of 55mph (not that everyone in Arizona obeys that). I hope this helps. I then loaded up water and stuff when I got to camp to save on the weight.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  6. Jan 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    SmurFJ

SmurFJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Pro
    I've towed right up to the 5k limit on my FJ (23 foot Apex camper with a slide out) without issue. I'm assuming the 4Runner will handle it just as well. I'd try to keep it no faster than 65mph and it seemed happy

ESCT4R likes this.
  7. Feb 2, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    Justinmpd

Justinmpd New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road Premium
    It will be fine towing. You just really need to keep your speed below 70 and brake early. You don’t have much wiggle room when braking with the extra weight.

ESCT4R likes this.
  8. Feb 2, 2021 at 10:20 PM
    ESCT4R

ESCT4R New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    Hey!
    I tow a travel trailer that is 3950lbs dry weight. You can tow with the runner, but you gotta take it SLOW (put in S4). Before you even tow that weight, get a brake controller. Don’t even think about towing without that, please. Also, you’ll want to get a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bars. This will help reduce swaying. A few things you may also want to add is an extra trans cooler and some Air bag helper springs. Lmk if you have questions!

9. Mar 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM
    Maisie

Maisie [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Grey 4Runner
    I would like to put some helper springs on the back end of my 2018 4runner. I have looked around this site and am confused. Can anyone recommend what would work with my car? i.e. brand names to look for. Have you installed them yourself? are they easy to install? Thanks in advance

Products Discussed in

To Top