1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Top Non Winch Recovery Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Oldtoyotaguy, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Sep 3, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy [OP] Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Ok, there are a lot of you on here with a lot of off road experience that have been involved in non winch recoveries, both for your yourselves and while helping others. I wanted to benefit from that collective experience, and share some best practices for non winch recoveries, in your personal experience. The reason I'm limiting this discussion to non winch recoveries is that most off roaders, especially newbies, don't have winches. As well, winches are a whole topic unto themselves. So, this time, let's talk about non winch recoveries, techniques, equipment, and safety. thanks!

Spare Parts, Toy4X4, chadp82 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sep 3, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Good topic!

I'd say traction boards and a shovel are your most basic recovery gear. That, and a kinetic strap might be all you'll ever need.

A Hi-Lift with the ORK kit csn be used as a jack or a (very slow) winch. Most consider the Hi-Lift a last resort, as they can be extremely dangerous.

One thing you should NEVER do is use a tow strap or chain as a kinetic strap! Especially a chain. Kinetic straps are designed to stretch. A regular strap or chain WILL break if used like a kinetic strap.

There is a video of a Jeep being recovered this way. The chain breaks and goes straight through the windshield! The end of the video shows a guy in a hospital bed with half of his face hanging off. It's disturbing, but maybe worth watching if you're ever thinking it's ok to use a chain in this manner.

Any recovery is potentially dangerous! It's important to think about the physics of what you're doing, and make sure that anyone not involved in the recovery is a safe distance away.

DRobs, Toy4X4, banxwondar and 4 others like this.
  3. Sep 3, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Great comments @Thatbassguy !

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 3, 2021 at 11:44 AM
    kwill

kwill New Member

Member:
    1. Shovel.
    2. Air down.
    3. Traction boards.
    4. Snatch strap (if another vehicle is around).

5. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    Using your brain according to the situation; knowing the features/tools provided on your 4R; to begin with.

6. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    DRH

DRH TRD Broverlander Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    From my experience (and experiences vary),
    Only use bow shackles on rated recovery points, never use them to connect kinetic straps/ropes together or to connect to other straps on trees, suspension components, etc. You want to avoid having any kind of hard projectile on the end of the snatch strap.
    Use soft shackles when it is necessary to connect straps/ropes together or to attach to other straps or components.
    Only use the minimum force necessary when using kinetic straps/ropes, even if that means having to do multiple pulls that fail until you build up to the minimum force needed. Taking a half rope length run at full speed the first try might not be necessary and could damage something.
    The longer the kinetic strap/rope length the more energy can be stored and then released. If a vehicle is really stuck it might take two ropes combined together. Increasing the rope length would be preferred to increasing the vehicle speed to keep it a soft but powerful pull.
    Ropes have more stretch, aka kinetic force, than straps and are preferred, but ropes are more expensive (Stretch in percentage of length- rope 30%/strap 20%).
    Never use a tow strap for recovery, they don't stretch and typically have metal hooks on the ends.

7. Sep 3, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Great responses on here so far, thanks guys! Really helpful.

Roland likes this.
  8. Sep 12, 2021 at 12:44 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Really, it's more about gaining experience going off road, and knowing what lines to take, than it is performing a recovery.

There's a lot to learn about recovery don't get me wrong, and experience to gain if you ever have to, but getting out often enough will gain you the confidence to use your vehicle appropriately and keep you from getting in a hairy situation.

I go out alone, and often, and have had to perform a few self-recoveries. Best tools to have are;

Means to air down (and up), as I air down every time I venture off road

Shovel, because you won't find me digging myself out by hand

Traction boards, because you can't always find branches/sticks to stack

Drop dead times and itinerary for loved one(s), because if you don't come back or make contact after xxx amount of time, you don't want a stuck vehicle to turn out to be a missing person's search

IMG-20210827-WA0010.jpg

Roland, Oldtoyotaguy[OP] and Toy4X4 like this.
  9. Sep 12, 2021 at 3:32 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    The shovel can prove to be a valuable tool, also knowing when to "quit" is a good thing. Instead of spinning till the frame is on the ground, a few shovels full of dirt/mud being taken away from the front of tires, ramped from the bottom of the tires to the surface of the terrain your on might get you out. No winch recovery might also be accomplished with a very heavy duty 'come-a-long, which technically is a sort of winch, but in some cases works.

10. Sep 12, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Great point! Losing traction is one thing. Being completely buried is another!

On a similar note; knowing when to bypass an obstacle or turn around are important as well. I have made many solo trips, and those decisions have kept me out of trouble a lot.

11. Sep 12, 2021 at 5:23 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Another piece of equipment I highly recommend is a set of waders. I use them to walk through water crossings I'm not familiar with to feel the bottom composition and check for hidden obstacles.

This hole wasn't that big, but was deeper in spots than I could reach with the waders. It also had a muck bottom which was a factor in deciding to go a different way. We later saw a video of a Jeep on 35 or 37 inch MT's getting stuck in it. I'm definitely glad we didn't attempt it!

3D31861F-129D-47F3-9BBE-8CB7ED90AB1D.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top