1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Too many options - I appreciate guidance with 5100 lift

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by TreyBart, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 at 11:38 PM
    TreyBart

TreyBart [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Hello,

I searched this forum and another forum for hours to avoid asking repeat questions, but I found too many options for how to proceed. I appreciate any advice on the best move forward for lifting my 2008 4Runner SR5 4WD.

I currently have 5100s all around. My end goal is a LEVEL 2.5 to 3" lift (would prefer 3", but open to 2.5" if my 5100s maxed out will suffice). I will not be doing aggressive off-road, but rather weekend trails, some sand and snow. I would like to fit 285/70r17 without BMC. Minor trimming okay.

I plan on adding UCA, as I maxed out my 5100s on my tacoma and didn't like the camber. But I didn't mind the ride with the 2.5" settings and spacer in the rear.

I have been to a few shops and they are all giving me different answers. I've been told I need to add a coil to my existing 5100, another says that would be too stiff and I need to replace my front 5100 with 6112. The option I thought doesn't seem to be on the table (just maxing out the 5100). All of them say to add a spring to the rear, not a spacer.

I don't know enough about suspension to know if I should be adding a front spring, and if so, which one and what setting should I put the 5100 on? 0? Do I even need a spring? Would it be better to go with a 6112 for a better ride than an OME spring in front? What about rear?

The picture is the stance I'm looking for. I know I have to add some wheel spacers, maybe a diff drop if I'm looking at 3".

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice. Most importantly is having a non-bouncy ride (can be stiffer, that is okay), LEVEL lift.

1575C325-F031-44C6-8366-A5281C721C07.jpg

2. Sep 6, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    No, you don't have to put lift coils on with 5100's.

They max out at 2.5" in the front, so I would definitely recommend not going any higher than that.

Spacers in the back sound fine for your uses.

The best chance you have at not rubbing on the body mount is having the alignment shop push your caster forward as far as they can reasonably get it. With your aftermarket UCA's, you should be able to get a number around +4 or maybe higher depending on the UCA's. You'll most likely have to trim a little plastic up at the front of the wheel well, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

This isn't a guarantee you won't rub on the body mount because I'm not familiar with the way your specific tire and wheel interacts with your truck, but it is your best chance at not rubbing on the body mount.

3. Sep 6, 2020 at 12:01 PM
    TreyBart

TreyBart [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Thanks @nimby - any suggestions for spacer height? 1"?

4. Sep 6, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    No worries.

I don't know exactly what the height difference is between the front and back of a 4th gen. On a 5th gen, the front is usually around 1.75" lower than the back.

I'm guessing something around a 1" spacer for the back of yours would be adequate to level it with a 2.5" front lift, but again.......I'm not 100% sure.

Also, keep in mind that you have a 12 year old truck. Those offroad shops could be suggesting new springs because your old, OEM springs are starting to sag. If they are sagging, I would definitely just recommend getting lift coils. They really aren't that expensive and will last you the rest of the trucks life.

Last tidbit to think about is by pushing your wheels further out with wheel spacers, you might run into body mount rubbing issues. So don't go crazy with huge wheel spacers, wheel offsets, ect...... Keep it reasonable. Again, I don't have exact numbers for you since I own a 5th gen, but that general sentiment will be true for your application as well. Just remember that a higher caster number will move you further away from the body mount.

Products Discussed in

To Top