1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The 2020 Prius is amazing

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by h4yd3n, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:18 PM
    h4yd3n

h4yd3n [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited
    It drives like what I imagined a Tesla would drive like. Super quick and smooth acceleration even up steep hills, something we all know that the 4Runner struggles mightily with.

Adaptive cruise control that goes all the way to 1mpg during stop and go San Diego Highway traffic.

I’ve never driven a Prius before this rental car during my SoCal house hunting trip, but my god it is amazing. I had fallen prey to misinformation that Priuses suck. Maybe it did a decade ago, but this new one is something amazing. I drove this thing 85mph on the 405 for hours and hard in the city and still averaged 54.5 mpg.

I had convinced myself that I’d never drive anything other than a 4Runner again, but now I realize how lacking the engine and transmission are in this dinosaur of a car. Now I hope they have a hybrid for the next 4Runner.

Holy shit. I feel so stupid for judging all hybrids because the Prius is ugly. We all will have to keep an open mind in the future. I want a hybrid 4Runner. Then I may cancel my CyB3RtRcK preorder.

ps. I still think it’s ugly

2. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I had one as a rental in 2017 for a 2400 mile trip. I honestly loved the fucking thing. Hybrid. 40-50mpg. Great sound system. Super easy to drive for long periods with lane control. Hated adaptive cruise, though.

7385, Thatbassguy and nimby like this.
  3. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:28 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
  4. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:43 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    I know it isn't a 4runner but our neighbors have a 2010 Lexus RX300(?) Hybrid. Bought it used. Battery is still @ over 80% capacity and gets 45mpg all day in city traffic. I don't think it has ever been in for any problems.

Thatbassguy and Oldtoyotaguy like this.
  5. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    I had a hybrid lexus for a rental once. Would be awesome on a golf course. Road? I'll pass and enjoy my 19mpg all day long

6. Sep 7, 2020 at 6:44 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I can’t wait for my new Cybertruck! I plan on parking the 4 Runner in the other garage bay for old time sake, and whenever I need to hear the cacophony from a 19th century ICE.

Singleminded likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    doc4216

doc4216 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    The Land of Cle
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Premium
    Dasaíta HU, Bilstein 5100s, AT Tires, Coveted grill lights
    I don’t think the cars are bad, I just think the drivers in those cars suck!

2016Pro, DRobs, Spare Parts and 5 others like this.
  8. Sep 7, 2020 at 9:18 AM
    catus

catus New Member

Member:
    Centennial, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Double Cab TRD Limited
    No major mods yet
    I had one for a rental once too, and hated it. Too small, too light weight, too electronic'y, too low to the pavement. I like sitting up high so I can see things (motorcycles and Prius'es) while driving. That Prius felt like I was driving a door wedge. I am happy feeding dead dinosaurs to my ICE'd Runner.

toppyn, taco_runner and Ironguy like this.
  9. Sep 7, 2020 at 10:58 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I'm not a fan of the Prius per se, but I really like hybrid technology.

I look forward to a 4Runner hybrid option.

It will have advantages, like better low end torque for running larger tires.

10. Sep 7, 2020 at 11:19 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    I swore up and down that I'd never date a woman driving a Prius. I thought they were boring and unimaginative (this is from when I was younger and thought anyone gave a shit about what I drove). Well, cue to my Prius-driving wife and I expecting our second kid.

Hers is a 2008 (second gen?) and she drives the absolute pee out of it and it never complains. It's cheap and economical transportation at its barest essence. We take her car for most things and the runner for big family trips where we load it up with dogs and gear.

Other than a cracked hybrid coolant hose (just had to refill the coolant) it's had zero problems in 150K. Interior has seen better days. She loves it, but we'll look for a newer car soon. Maybe a hybrid Rav4.

11. Sep 7, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    The hybrid Rav4 looks good. I was shocked when I saw the EPA MPG numbers for the hybrid Highlander, which in the latest gen is about as big and heavy as the 4R. Actually a bit longer, and about 90% of the interior room. It gets something like 34 highway AND city. Amazing. Not that I'd want one LOL, but thinking about it maybe for my wife's DD.

7385 likes this.
  12. Sep 7, 2020 at 12:16 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I'll be all over electric once the charge times are fast and charging stations plentiful. Which is going to happen (10 more years? 15?)

Imagine the T4R retaining it's body on frame construction but with battery packs between the rails / replacing the tranny, gas tank and exhaust, and with a motor at each wheel. Or at least one on each axle. You could have a motor where the engine currently sits, and one where the rear diff is now. Center of gravity would be so low. You'd still have BOF toughness. And you will have added tons of torque and mechanical simplicity. One can dream...

13. Sep 7, 2020 at 1:43 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Wait until the Prime Rav 4 comes out and check out what it gets for mpgs.

I would definitely get a Prime 4Runner......should they ever make one.

7385 and Thatbassguy like this.
  14. Sep 7, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    You should drive a Z28??!!:burnrubber::rockband::spy::yay:

15. Sep 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Or think outside the box to an exoskeleton design with stainless steel. Like a cybertruck. The future is here, my friend. No need to wait 15 years. 500 HP & 1000 ft/lbs

7385 likes this.
  16. Sep 7, 2020 at 4:05 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Is the Prius manufactured in Canada like my Corolla and Camaro?

17. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Yep, xclnt electric vehicles already here or on the horizon. My point was about fast charging speed and the ability to find charging stations about as easily as you can now find gas stations. Those things are coming, but they ain’t here yet.

One wouldn’t pick an electric if you’re choice of vehicle was a matter of life or death. You wouldn’t flee zombies in an electric. Someday electricity might be a more reliable source of energy than gas. But it isn’t yet.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  18. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    From several points of view it’s superior, but it is a paradigm shift. Especially for old timers like me who see the world through the paradigm of an ICE. But even so, I see the advantages of HP, torque, fewer moving parts, and less emissions at point of use - in fact, none.

19. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    LOL I feel like we're arguing even though we agree. I'm a big fan of electric. It's inherently superior to ICE in so many ways -- as I've noted numerous times in the past on this forum. Much greater mechanical simplicity and ease of maintenance. Longevity has already been proven generally better than ICE. Gobs of torque. Lower center of gravity. More vehicle design and packaging flexibility. Better AWD systems. Big environmental benefits that keep getting bigger as more and more electrical generation comes from green sources.

You're just skipping over the two big problems that I mentioned it still has: long charging times and inadequate charging infrastructure. As has been demonstrated by multiple people, trying to drive cross country in an electric requires extensive planning, avoiding routes you might rather take, substantial anxiety about the threat of running out of juice at a bad time, and long waits to refuel. You wouldn't pick an electric to flee a natural disaster where you couldn't be sure about your route or destination. You wouldn't pick an electric to make a long road trip of the kind that Americans have treasured for almost a century. In coming years we'll all be able to do those things. But we can't now. In coming years, electric will actually feel more reliable because electrical outlets are more plentiful than gas pumps. But we're not at the stage yet where all those plugs are of much use.

So let's just be honest about the current state of affairs. In addition to the above problems, the EPA range numbers are very optimistic for electrics, especially on the highway. Tesla's supposed 300+ mile cars do nowhere near that in the real world on the highway. Charging takes many hours even with a dedicated charging station at home. Using a regular electric outlet is basically a joke. Fast charging stations are few and far between and you're still talking the better part of an hour just to get to 80% full.

So, no, we're not there yet. I'm sure you'll love your Cybertruck. I'd love to have a Taycan. But I'm not going to kid myself that they have the utility of an ICE in today's world.

Oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 7, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yet, Tesla’s super charging stations are excellent. Of course, e technology will continue to improve and infrastructure needs to be extended but it’s not as distant as you portray, singleminded.

21. Sep 7, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I'd still rather have a hybrid or electric 4runner. Cybertruck is ugly. :crapstorm:

22. Sep 7, 2020 at 8:33 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    The thing is, that stuff doesn’t actually matter in the real world. I don’t have the info in front of me, we had a all sorts of crap about it presented at work but it’s something like 98% of Americans will not drive more than 200 miles in a day at least once a year. No one vehicle is perfect for everybody, but the needs of the overwhelming majority are met by today’s current EVs.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Sep 7, 2020 at 8:44 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

This is true. For a daily commuter, they are fine. Plus, the majority of people would never drive cross country.

I think @Singleminded is just pointing out that those are the things that keep people like myself from being interested in electric at this point.

Aside from being limited in range, it's pretty much better than an ICE in every way. Hell, an electric 4runner might even be fast enough to make everyone on this forum happy.

nimby and Singleminded like this.
  24. Sep 7, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    There'd still be some folks who'd install a pedal commander!

aroyalsfan, 7385, nimby and 2 others like this.
  25. Sep 7, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Wow. The development time for a new vehicle is at least a few years. The development time for new battery technology is at least a few years. Even when the next leap in charging speed occurs, it will take some years of development and testing to prove it works and is safe and durable. It will then take more time to be adopted by manufacturers and installed in new vehicles. Because any new vehicle, say, five years from now, is actually a vehicle that was conceived, designed and tested years prior to the availability of the then-current technology. So, you can wish that this will happen soon, but in reality it's several years away. I threw out 10 or 15 years as a guess. Thus my "?" marks. Maybe that's pessimistic. But no one knows. You don't know. It might be optimistic. Consider, Tesla has been selling EVs for 12 years and working feverishly at improving them, but the fundamental problem of long charging times and relatively low range remains.

So does the fact that the US has 150,000 gas stations but only 25,000 EV charging stations, and almost 7000 of them are in California. And only a fraction of that 25,000 have today's fastest chargers. And with real-world ranges in the 200s, the need to find a station and stop to recharge is greater than it is in almost all ICE vehicles.

As I've said all along, this will definitely change and it's going to be huge. It's going to be awesome. It's just silly to think it's going to be sooner than several years from now.

Right. Electric works well for the way many people use their cars, especially if they have houses (not city dwellers) so can charge at home overnight. I have not and would not discourage someone from buying electric. I've said on this forum that I could imagine buying electric myself in the next few years as a second or third vehicle. Because -- and this was the sole point I was making that has generated so much back and forth -- you can't currently count on an EV to take you on a long trip without a whole lot of planning, a whole lot of extra time, routes you rather not take and probably some white knuckle moments.

To wit, as reported on this forum, I recently completed a 1850 mile trip, half of which was in one day. I went about 900 miles in 14 hours. And I needed to go 900 miles in 14 hours. That would have been literally impossible in an EV. It would have required different and longer routes, plus long stops to recharge. I stopped three times for gas. Each time was along the fastest route. Each stop took about 5 minutes. If I was in an EV I would have had to stop more than that, would have had to depart from the fastest route, and would have been twiddling my thumbs for hours of total charging time combined.

This is reality. I can't wait til it changes. It's just going to be years before charging times, range and charging station availability improve to the point where ICE no longer has an important advantage.

26. Sep 8, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    :rofl:

Singleminded and nimby like this.
  27. Sep 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    My mother-in-law drives a Prius, and I have driven it when we go visit her. It's not a bad car for what it is, it is an older model so doesn't have all the new gewgaws. I really enjoy driving my 4Runner, it suits me for my personal driving needs and tasks. I can easily haul around four mountain bikes, down off road trails to trailheads, and never miss a beat. The fun car in our family is my wife's Avalon. Getting on the highway, putting it in sport mode and using the paddle shifters is so much fun. Pulling away from Camaros and Mustangs is always a treat, and driving the back highways in Missouri is exhilarating. If you haven't driven a touring Avalon with a sport mode, if you ever get the opportunity, and you have some place you can open it up oh, I highly recommend it. Disclaimer: I do not advocate driving at a hundred and twenty miles an hour, but if you can...:yes:

28. Sep 8, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey singleminded, I’m with you about almost everything you say, except not many people drive 900 miles in a day, so holding e vehicles to that possibility and finding them lacking doesn’t mean much that much to me. I agree that the US and Canada needs to improve ev infrastructure, but in Europe, my brother in law in Denmark drives his Tesla all over Europe without much difficulty. When my Cybertruck arrives in 2022, I’ll give you an update about my range anxiety! I don’t think that the ev future is 15 years out.

29. Sep 8, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I thought it might be helpful to add that the issues of range, charging times and charging-station availability intersect. They don't all need to be radically improved at once.

For example, imagine a technological breakthrough that made, say, 1000-mile ranges the norm. That would make charge times and station availability much less important. Likewise, imagine charge times of just a few minutes at most local gas stations. That would make range much less important.

A huge amount of range in particular would solve so many problems. But tackling all three issues at once, which the industry is doing, probably means greater odds of getting to a good-enough place sooner rather than later.

30. Sep 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    We mostly agree here. My point about my 900 mile trip in one day is that I find it important to be able to do that. I find it important to be able to take off at a moment's notice and drive almost anywhere without worrying I'll get stuck in the middle of bumfuk for lack of fuel. I personally want the freedom to explore back roads and get lost and not make my drive about the most efficient movement from point A to point B. I want the freedom to take the routes I want and not be delayed for hours with charging.

I personally put a high value on a vehicle that can do all kinds of things in all kinds of conditions with a very high degree of reliability. This is why I bought a 4Runner.
    It's a vehicle that can realistically go 400 miles on a tank, traverse all kinds of terrain, refuel in a few minutes almost anywhere in the country, and do it all with a very low probability of breakdown.

And it's not just me who feels this way. Many people share these same desires, even if they rarely take such drives.

Also, I never said "the EV future is 15 years out." The EV future is whatever people are willing to accept about EVs. What I estimated as 10-15 years out is a solution to the charging time / range / charging station problem that currently makes the kinds of trips I'm talking about impractical or outright impossible. What I wrote is that it's going to be several years before you can charge about as quickly and conveniently as you can fill up with gas. And that this problem is especially significant because real-world ranges are much lower than for ICEs and so charging needs to occur more frequently.

Please read what I wrote as I wrote it, not what you think it says between the lines. :D

7385, Thatbassguy and 4Runner fun like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top