1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tennessee Suspension Dealers/Installers Recommendations?

Discussion in 'South East U.S.' started by TN4Runnerdq, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Feb 16, 2020 at 10:15 AM
    TN4Runnerdq

TN4Runnerdq [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
    TRD Rims, Eibach Springs, BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
    Hi all!

I live in Central TN and have been looking for a reputable suspension installer in my area to no avail. I don't trust the shops here in my town, because their work looks kinda just for show, not for "work". Anyone have experience with shops in Knoxville or Nashville that they could/would recommend? Thanks!

2. Feb 16, 2020 at 11:27 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I can't help you in Central TN, but out of curiosity, what are you installing? Pre assembled coilovers, Bilstein 5100's, spacers? ECGS bushing? UCAs? Lower links?

When you say trust, have you done any of this kind of work before? Looking to do it yourself if that was an option if you want to ensure it's done right, if you have someone who knows what they are doing.

Paying someone is also an option is your free time is limited, so that's perfectly understanable.

WallyT4R likes this.
  3. Feb 16, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    TN4Runnerdq

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Hey there. Basically, everything. LOL Going to be an overlander and need it to work not just "look good". I did that on my '11 Tacoma (the cheap way) and destroyed the truck's driveability. While I am comfortable with some stuff, I am more of a pay someone who knows it better than I do type of guy. People pay me for what I know about (woodworking and leatherworking) so I don't mind paying others for what they know. Problem is, the shops near me are all about appearance and not durability. So if I just want to drive to the post office, they're fine. But...

Thanks for the message!

4. Feb 16, 2020 at 3:40 PM
    Braves95

Braves95 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2019 Nightshade Special Edition MGM
    None Yet!!
    Have you asked on here about maybe a MOD day or weekend. Have other 4runner guys to help in your area?

WallyT4R likes this.
  5. Feb 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Ok @TN4Runnerdq since you're a woodworker / leatherworker, then you clearly don't mind taking the time to do something right, as a fellow woodworker (on break) nothing is as rewarding as making something nice. But nice typically means precise. Don't be lazy with the glue up, the sanding in between the multiple topcoats.

A business is going to sell you a product, and some are even enthusiasts (there are some on here, and they are pretty good people).

But when you say "Going to be an overlander and need it to work" then the most transparent answer will be that you need to really know what you plan on doing, why you're doing it, and what you're doing it for.

For example, I think 2 gallon rotopax are insanely overpriced, and they nickel and dime you on the mounts, brackets, spouts, etc. However, I own 2 because on one trip to Big Bend we were 150 miles from the nearest fueling station, towing a trailer, and in a desert. I didn't have on then, and the range anxiety started to creep up on us. We travel in group so we did have a plan...but still.

Sliders are on my truck because we mangled the steps on a trip in a trail that there was NO turning around. I mean literally not possible, cliffs and walls on each side. You just had to go forward and sort the damage out later.

Skids on my truck are much lighter than average (1/8") because I do many road miles and wheel lightly. No need to carry the extra weight around. Fuel tank skid? Factory still, it's tucked up higher than every aftermarket, and it's been really reliable (it's got some dents).

You can drop $10k on the truck in gear but what do you do when it breaks on the trail? The shop isn't out there.

I'll extend this offer, decide what kind of lift you want, why you want it, and what you think you'll be doing with it and share so we can offer advice here. If you're interested in making your way to Collierville - near Memphis (~3 hours from Nashville), myself and a few of the guys here will help you install your lift and show you how it all works. For the price of your travel time and some diet cokes (me) and maybe beer (the rest of the guys) we can fix you up.

Please understand I'm not bashing pro shops, I just don't know of any in the area I can recommend to you, but this site and the inhabitants are a gold mine of information, our agenda isn't to sell, it's to help you make an informed decision.

If you're interesting in buying and need a quality job done, and don't mind a road trip, I do have friends who own offroad shops in Oklahoma and in Texas.

6. Feb 17, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    This post right here is what makes this forum and the people on it so great. @fajitas21 ....you da man! :thumbsup:

Firefly21 and mem4runner like this.
  7. Feb 18, 2020 at 6:46 AM
    TN4Runnerdq

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
  8. Feb 18, 2020 at 7:20 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    I'm repeating others here, but I'm new to the forum and just happy to be here because of posts like this. Added bonus that we're in the same city so I can bug you and your guys when I'm ready for some learning and upgrades!

9. Feb 18, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Any time, I'm looking for some people over here who like to work on their trucks and occassionally wheel and camp. Look forward to meeting up.

Also, 3rd Gens rock. Good choice.

10. Feb 19, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    Thanks! Looking forward as well

11. Feb 19, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    john8899

john8899 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Trd OR
    I went to Tom’s 4x4/Rocksolid Motorsports in Chattanooga for my installs.

To Top