1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailpipe

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Freds4Runner, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Mar 21, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    Freds4Runner

Freds4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner
    I heard rattling from my exhaust for quite a while and when I pulled on the tailpipe it was loose so I removed it. It came off after the muffler so car is not loud. Can I get it welded back on?

2. Mar 21, 2022 at 4:55 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Probably nothing to weld it to if it's rotten like that. You'll probably need a new muffler and tailpipe. Only a muffler shop will know.

3. Mar 21, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    Freds4Runner

Freds4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner
    I have been driving it without tailpipe for a couple weeks with no issues. Is it okay to keep driving it?

4. Mar 21, 2022 at 5:21 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Tailpipes move exhaust gasses out from under the car. Otherwise they tend to seep into the cabin more...not very good for breathing.

Exhaust gases are a bit corrosive so not the best to let them exit under the car.

5. Mar 26, 2022 at 7:07 AM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    Fixed it for you.

Seriously though, carbon monoxide is odorless and even in small quantities will build up in the body over time and can and does kill people, especially those who have sat idling for whatever reason. This sadly makes the news every now and then. Often it's children that got used as the canary in the coal mine in this sad sort of tale since they are so much smaller and more susceptible to a CO2 slumber they may never wake from.

On that note, it's also very dangerous to drive with the rear window down in our 4Runners for the same reason, because it creates a venturi effect that draws exhaust gasses into the vehicle as it moves. This occurs even if you have the other windows and sunroof if you have one down too. If you have to have it down to bring some PVC or lumber home that's one thing. Driving that way all day or longer is quite another altogether. It can put you to sleep and you won't even feel it coming on.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top