1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Synthetic Oil Change

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by bobcat931, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Oct 25, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    bobcat931

bobcat931 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Toyota and the dealership recommend changing synthetic oil every 10,000 miles. Is there any benefit to changing more frequently--i.e. every 5,000 miles? Would like to get to 150,000 miles or more on my 2018 4Runner TRD. Back in the day, we changed motor oil more frequently than recommended mileage.

2. Oct 25, 2022 at 12:34 PM
    Jere39

Jere39 Rattlesnake Trail - Sproul SF

Member:
    Sky Island, PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5 MGM
    Interesting question, and curiously, the first it has ever been asked. FWIW, I changed my synthetic at 5000 miles and have easily made it to 6000 already in my 2022 with no side effects.

Toffees, ecoterragaia and nimby like this.
  3. Oct 25, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Personally I don't trust the 10K mile change but I'm sure people follow that interval without issues.

KilluFirst likes this.
  4. Oct 25, 2022 at 12:58 PM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    Best way to find out is a blackstone analysis. They can give you are more accurate answer.

I personally do it every 10k miles. Other than “wasted” oil, earlier won’t hurt it.

nimby likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    jvinhj240

jvinhj240 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    8k-10k or 1 year. Whichever comes first for me.

j cat likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    CJT4Runner

CJT4Runner Frosty

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 TRD ORP
    Why stop at 5k? Why not 2,500 or 1,000 or after every time you get gas? You can never be too careful. There is a reason Toyota recommends 10,000 and it’s not to sell more engines. I’m not going to pretend to be a mechanical engineer and think I know more than the engineers at Toyota.

TexasMallCrawl and nimby like this.
  7. Oct 25, 2022 at 1:34 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    There's been a 1000 posts on this topic. What often gets missed is that Toyota itself recommends 5K intervals under many conditions, including off roading, towing, heavy loads, lots of city driving, extended high speeds....

The idea that 10K is the recommendation of the engineers and thus safe is simply wrong. It's in the owners manual. 5K is the official, recommended interval for many drivers -- particularly the kinds of drivers who post on this forum.

KilluFirst, 2Toys, 7385 and 5 others like this.
  8. Oct 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM
    ian408

ian408 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen TRD Offroad Pro - Super White
    Pls Stdby
    Respectfully, what Toyota recommends depends on the model and year. The 5th gen is 10k miles under normal conditions. If you're just daily driving, 10k it is. Even a weekend off road may not change the interval. Heavy dust/debris may require additional work for the cabin air and engine filters. Add a heavy load or high heat, long periods of high speed driving, and you may want to change the oil early. Otherwise, synthetics combined with increased mfg quality are quite capable of a 10k interval.

If you are not sure what the interval is, see your owner's manual. 5K is not the official, recommended interval for all vehicles. Especially those on synthetics.

9. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Below is a cut and past from the Maintenance Guide for current 4Runners. You can find it here: https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals.4runner.2020

I'm not saying people are dumb for going 10K miles. I'm just saying people should stop spouting the nonsense that 10K is the interval recommended by Toyota. They recommend 10K for normal use, but 5K instead under numerous conditions. And those numerous conditions apply to many of us. Especially those who off road. More especially those who off road and with armor and and a bunch of supplies. Thus, 5K is the "proper" interval for many users.

5,000 miles or 6 months

Check installation of driver’s floor mat Inspect and adjust all fluid levels1 Inspect wiper blades
    Rotate tires

Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:

Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots (4WD) Inspect engine air filter
    Inspect steering linkage and boots Lubricate propeller shaft4 Re-torque propeller shaft bolt4 Replace engine oil and oil filter2 Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading:6

Lubricate propeller shaft4 Re-torque propeller shaft bolt4 Replace engine oil and oil filter2 Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below 32°F / 0°C:

Replace engine oil and oil filter2

Extensive idling and/or low speed driving for a long distance such as police, taxi or door-to-door delivery use:

Replace engine oil and oil filter2

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions3

Dealer Service verification:

Date: Mileage:

10,000 miles or 12 months

Check installation of driver’s floor mat Inspect and adjust all fluid levels1 Inspect wiper blades
    Replace engine oil and oil filter 2 Rotate tires

Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:

Inspect ball joints and dust covers Inspect drive shaft boots (4WD) Inspect engine air filter
    Inspect steering linkage and boots Lubricate propeller shaft4 Re-torque propeller shaft bolt4 Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading:6

Lubricate propeller shaft4 Re-torque propeller shaft bolt4

Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body

10. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:27 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Just because you went on a dirt road doesn't mean your oil change interval should be cut in half all the sudden.

10k for normal driving conditions.

5k for extreme conditions.

A lot of people like to think they drive in the "extreme" category, but they don't.

If you have any questions about it, get a Blackstone analysis and it will give you a definitive answer.

Thatbassguy, 21Venture and j cat like this.
  11. Oct 25, 2022 at 3:33 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    According to YouTuber “The Car Care Nut”, a former Toyota factory mechanic who now runs his own independent shop, the 10k oil change interval is specified to make your engine run trouble free until it’s out of warranty. But if you want your engine to last 250-300k miles without major repairs you should change your oil every 5k.

Also, interestingly, he says that any good quality oil that meets the spec is fine, and glamor oils like Amsoil and Redline are a needless extra expense.

So the tacit message there is if you only plan to keep your 4Runner a few years then the 10k interval is fine — though you’ll be passing on the high-mileage engine repairs on to the subsequent owner.

12. Oct 25, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    bulldog

bulldog New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prepping to buy New
    I do 5k changes on my 20 4R & 16 Taco, w/5w-30.

7Runner likes this.
  13. Oct 25, 2022 at 4:30 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I have a 2013 that will be hitting 150K within the next few months. Honestly, 150K is nothing, you could use dino oil and change it every 10K miles and still easily hit 150K.

I wouldn't even start to worry about longevity till more like 300K.

As far as my 2013, I bought it with just under 80K on it, and according to the Carfax the oil had been changed approximately every 10K miles. I've kept up that schedule, even at 10K miles the oil is full and still looks fairly clean. I do a lot of highway driving, so I'm pretty easy on the vehicle. If I did more off-roading or city driving, I would change it more frequently.

Doing it every 5K definitely won't hurt anything but your wallet, and if it helps your peace of mind, it's worth it. If anything, it'll look great on the maintenance history if you ever go to sell it.

7385 and nimby like this.
  14. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    Given the relatively cheap cost of changing oil at 5K, if you can afford it, why not? It certainly won't hurt anything, and will certainly benefit the engine. My last oil change with Mobil 1 and a Toyota filter element was $31. If I do that twice a year rather than once a year, I can handle the extra $31,

TXBrit and TrueTexas like this.
  15. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s

He has spoken. Let it be written. So let it be done!

bobcat931[OP] and KilluFirst like this.
  16. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:21 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    [​IMG]

17. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    yes the clean air is around 10K miles of the engine oil synthetic ////
    then the off road dusty air is around 4K -6K miles change the oil... also clean the air filter OFF ROAD ....

18. Oct 25, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Let that stern powerful look sink in. Look at him!!!! Stop! How dare you look at him!!! Look at the ground!!!! Who dares raise a hand against him?

As for me, after this Car Car Nut video, the Oil War is over. Done.

I love how kindly he tears the heart out of every toyota dealer’s shop practices. Absolutely destroyed them, and with authority.

I generally change my oil at 5k, but I have been easy on myself if I let it slip a bit to 6 or 7k. No longer!!!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    KilluFirst likes this.
  19. Oct 25, 2022 at 9:30 PM
    ian408

ian408 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen TRD Offroad Pro - Super White
    Pls Stdby
    Isn't that what I just said? Read the manual? And because you own a 5th gen doesn't mean everyone else reading this thread does. So read the manual.

Anyway, I've spent time learning about oils and blends from Shell. I feel pretty confident that if Toyota specifies synthetic and 10k miles, it's good.

20. Oct 26, 2022 at 4:04 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I do mine at 5k on both the 4R and the Taco. It helps me check other things in the vehicle as well.

TXBrit and Jere39 like this.
  21. Oct 26, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    OverRunner

OverRunner rebmeM weN

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Denton, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ORP w/KDSS
    Folks who do your oil changes at 10k, how do you deal with the oil change light that comes on between 4.5-5k miles? Are you ignoring it, or resetting it? Or are you not getting the message until closer to 10k.

I’d never do a 10k interval. I’d either have to reset the maintenance light twice every interval, or I’d need to simply ignore it for 5k+ miles of every 10k. I’m also wondering if people with 10k are maybe not living in stop-and-go metroplexes, and the 4Runner computers are actually adept at adapting to driving conditions.

22. Oct 26, 2022 at 6:12 AM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    there are still items that need to be changed or checked every 5k miles. Tires rotated. I use it for that.

more people need to use blackstone. You would be amazed at just how long oils today can last.

nimby likes this.
  23. Oct 27, 2022 at 10:54 AM
    dback68

dback68 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner Limited
    I have heard many people talk about using the Blackstone service to analyze their oil after a change. I am new to that, what does a typical Blackstone report contain? I assume if probably lists a breakdown, in ppm, of the contents of the used oil. Do they also give recommendations or suggestions for potential remediations? Genuinely curious.

24. Oct 27, 2022 at 11:13 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    This is probably going to start a flame war, but so be it. Oil analysis is generally misused in the automotive community. It is very suited to aviation and industry, where engines spend the majority of their lives at a given RPM. Oil analysis, performed periodically, can be a valuable diagnostic tool. Knowing the condition of your oil, which additives persist and which do not, the type and quantity of other particles which could be a predictor of the condition of bearings, seals, and gaskets before they fail - these are the reasons to get oil analysis. Unless your commute doesn’t vary from day to day, oil analysis is a useless gesture because if your driving is varied the results of the analysis will vary from one test to the next.

25. Oct 27, 2022 at 1:00 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    +1 for following the manual, as @Singleminded pointed out.

I did 10K on my previous 4Runner without any issues (synthetic). But, I never beat that one the way I beat this one. I meet almost every one of the listed criteria mentioned in the manual for the 5K recommendation.

Agreed. Not everyone who drives down a gravel road occasionally needs to switch to 5K intervals.

Even if I were doing 10K intervals, I'd rotate the tires every 5K. The light is a good reminder. :)

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Oct 27, 2022 at 2:27 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    on the advice of my brother who is an oil nerd (petroleum engineer) I've changed at 10-12k intervals for the last 20 or so years. Even my crap Chevy products made better than 150k before I traded them off and probably still going. A Toyota will probably do 200k even if you NEVER change the oil though I don't recommend that. 150k is barely broken in for these trucks.

27. Oct 27, 2022 at 2:36 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Motor oil has always been a contentious topic. Even before the Internet. :)

28. Oct 27, 2022 at 2:47 PM
    TexasMallCrawl

TexasMallCrawl New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    FWIW, this was just posted on a Tundra page I’m a part of. I’ve seen a few similar reports. Everything pretty much within the normal range for a 1st oil change at 10K. 1CF1CD56-C868-45E3-BB37-103683975E5C.jpg

nimby and suaveflooder like this.
  29. Oct 27, 2022 at 3:10 PM
    JR7

JR7 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP
    Who has time for oil testing.. lol 5k+- filter, done. Too many places eyeing my money. I'll bet on fresh oil at 5k 100% of the time. The 04' Taco looked very clean when I did the VC gaskets at 130k, were now up to 260k...

CCN is an amazing resource. Discount his experience at your peril.

KilluFirst and ecoterragaia like this.
  30. Oct 27, 2022 at 4:57 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    This conversation is cracking me up.

I change the oil on all my cars every 5k miles with Mobil 1 0w/20. Why? Because I want to and I don't drive that much since I work from home (8600 miles in 16 months with this 4Runner) Which means at 5k intervals, I change it roughly every 8 months. Can I go to 10k? Sure. I'm pretty confident the oil would be in good shape. But I am comfortable and happy doing it every 5k. (I also changed it at 2k when it was new).

Your vehicle your choice...haha.

From a cost standpoint, I do my own oil changes. With TRD filter it is roughly $44 to change my oil. At 5k miles, that works out to .88 cents per mile ($0.0088/mile). So doing it at 10k saves you .44 cents per mile ($0.0044/mile).

Seems this is hardly worth the conversation ... yet here I am commenting on it.
    :annoyed:

TXBrit likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top