1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sway bars- anyone with a Limited/Nightshade want to get under their runner?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Nitori, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Jul 4, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5
    EDIT FOR SCIENCE: SWAY BAR SIZES

This (might) be an incomplete list but non-KDSS models of the 4runner appear to have the following bar thicknesses and PNs:

Limited/TRD Sport/Nightshade: 31mm bar.
    SR5/TRD Off-Road: 30mm bar.

48811-35460 sway bar 31mm
    48811-35450 sway bar 30mm

48815-35130 sway bar mount bushing 31mm
    48815-35140 sway bar mount bushing 30mm

====================================================
    I'm trying to figure out if there is a difference in front sway bar size between "standard" 4Runners (SR5, Off Road without KDSS) and the XREAS equipped models like the Limited or Nightshade.

So, anyone with a set of calipers or some kind of measuring device (Or has maybe pulled theirs off / has spare bushings laying around somewhere) mind trying to get the diameter of the sway bar measured for me?

At least according to the official Toyota parts catalog there is a difference:
    sway bar differences.jpg

If I had to take a wild guess it would be that most 4runners have something like a 31/32mm bar and the XREAS runs a slimmer bar like 27mm? Also interesting that it mentions GRN/TRN280 (2WD) models in the second line item.

My last ditch option is to buy 2 bushings for either style and measure the ID of the bushing, but that's $40, a trip to the dealer, and the hassle of seeing if they'd even let you return the parts...

I'm considering snapping up a lighter/softer front bar for my SR5. Softer front bar = easier ride over washboards but also more tail happy in corners. In a sports car, fun. In a T4R, possibly alarming.:rofl:

On my Tacoma I stepped down from the "big" SR sway to the "little" TRD Off-Road sway and eventually went to no sway at all (but only after stiffer springs and custom valved shocks up front) and the TL;DR of it is this- KDSS isn't a gimmick, sway bars kind of ruin the point of IFS but are also necessary to control body roll.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  2. Jul 4, 2021 at 10:12 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I believe the limited and 2wd Sr5 share the same 27mm sway bar. Trd and 4wd Sr5 have the 31mm

Nitori[OP] and captrussia253 like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5
    Thanks!:toast:

I'm surprised I even got the diameters correct haha, turns out the Tacoma and T4R share a whole lot.

I figured with XREAS they'd want to run a softer bar because the shocks are kind of their own "sway bar" in and of themselves.

Daytonaviolet[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 5, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    I have a limited with kings suspension. Prior to the install, I noticed my sway bar was thinner then what was in the pictures. That’s when I dug around and found out limiteds has a smaller diameter which creates smooth turns combine with the xreas setup. Now with kings, I may order the bigger diameter

5. Jul 5, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5
    Trade ya! :p (Maybe... honestly with shipping cost it might be cheaper to just order it from a dealer for both of us!)

My philosophy with suspension tuning on Toyota trucks is less sway, more (within reason) spring and damper. Straight from the factory both the T4R and Taco are almost universally under-damped. Just look at how many complaints people have about the "braking dive" - it's all in those front shocks and springs being too soft. As such they run thick sways to take out lateral body roll, but that lowers articulation and brings headaches when you go across wash boarded roads.

travel.jpg

(If you look at the rear wheel you can see the two sway bars leaned up against my garage wall.:laughing:)

Sway-less is absolutely not advisable with stock dampers IMO, but with aftermarket springs and the right shock tuning, you can get away with it like I did on the Tacoma. It will lean, but not in an alarming "death pendulum" sort of way.

6. Nov 11, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5
    Epic thread necro on this one... got a wild hair and decided I'd try buying a Limited sway bar from a parts catalog.

Imagine my shock when it showed up and was thicker than what was on my T4R! :eek:

Helpful tidbit- Toyota marks the mm OD of the sway bar on the bushings- it's molded in and there's a little glob of paint.

30mm looks like light blue, 31mm is red paint
    20231111_134635.jpg

@Daytonaviolet if you're even still on here/still have your limited... wanna do something cool for science? Look at the inside of your sway bar bushing (the rubber part that holds it to the frame) and there should be a number molded into the rubber. What's the magic number? If it's dirty you might have to use a little scrubby brush to scrub the film lube off the bushing to actually see the number.

I'm gonna update the OP with PN's and diameters for the sake of actually providing something useful to the community.

7. Nov 11, 2023 at 11:51 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  8. Nov 12, 2023 at 11:30 AM
    Nitori

Nitori [OP] New Member

Member:
    Maricopa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM SR5
    As far as I can tell from what the internet and my local Toyota dealer parts department has told me, the 2WD gets the 31mm.

BTW, it could be that you measured 29mm in a spot near a bend. The way to definitively tell would be to look at the mount bushing, it's probably gonna say 30.

Calipers are pretty rough to get a good measurement with since you're usually in some bizarre contortion reaching inside a skid plate. I initially measured my 31 and my 30 as almost exactly the same, like a .2mm difference.
    Then I measured the 31 in a specific spot, locked the calipers down, and put the calipers onto the 30 at the same spot. Had about 1mm of play.

I've been going thru parts catalogs and as far as I can tell there's only 2 sway bar PN's- and it looks like those PN's correspond to 31 (2WD models and limited models) and 30 (almost everyone else, SR5, Pro, OffRoad, save for KDSS which is a whole different animal).

9. Nov 13, 2023 at 6:54 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    I ordered 29mm for my 2013 Limited, but I'm going to mic mine to be sure. Everything fits on Amazon and counterfeit Toyota parts widely sold. I assume Limited has bigger bar to drive like a car and off roads have smaller sway bars for more wheel articulation, but the TRD sport probably has biggest bar. I am sending back until I get micrometer out. I usually drill a hole and mount grease fitting in my mounting brackets to keep from squeaking. PST used to make a polygraphite impregnated polyurethane bushing that doesn't squeak, just not for 4runner. Bar needs to be measured beside bracket for closest sizing. As it bends it can slim some giving a little different measurements. I need to use Amazon for reference and pricing and order from someone who knows what they are selling. I bought a Aisin timing belt kit for 3rd gen but sold truck and waterpump had where it was made ground off. Seems suspicious. Valve cover gaskets melted when oil hit them. So you know

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  10. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:12 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    Borla exhaust, Jet MAF sensor, K&N filter, Hayden rapid cool transmission cooler, Hella horns, electric fan, Pedal Commander, Derale power steering cooler,
    Summit racing has an RSO sway bar kit front and rear for 4runner. I would think Limited and Sport have biggest bars, then off road models have smaller for more wheel travel and articulation. I know my Limited with Xreas is scary how fast it takes curves. I'm impressed for driving a refrigerator. Granted 2014 was first year of ULEV and with changes and it may be different, but they don't offer a lot of variety on regular production items to save costs and streamline production. Amazon may have had a 16 year old oil change boy mic it along with the broken bolts.

11. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:17 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    That's what you want if you're off roading so you have articulation. My Limited seems more Lexus and car like. They may make some quick disconnects for sway bar for $1 million like all 4runner specialty parts.

12. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I think my Limited 4wd is 30mm. Amazon said 29mm front and 19mm rear
    No it's designed to be more Lexus like and with 3rd row I think it will be bigger. However with 20s and Xreas I could see that. If mine ever comes off ground and flips with Xreas, it should be quite exciting. Usually off roads have smaller bars for traction. I have micrometer here. I think I will see right now if I can.

13. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:32 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner

Ah okay. I just guessed that might be the case with 20s and Xreas. Easier for soccer moms to steer I guess. I'm replacing my Xreas with 5100s, ARB front springs and air bags in rear for the moment. It leaks but still works at 197k. RSO makes a front and rear bar set at Summit Racing I may upgrade to depending on my handling when done. I have to use them for research on specs for springs.

McSpazatron likes this.
  14. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner

15. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:35 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner

16. Nov 13, 2023 at 7:42 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    I used Powerstop Z36 kit on mine and nose dive ended, but its jacked with 3rd row and without enough weight in back it wears rear pads faster than front. I think because of the EBD system and its jacked up rear. I even carried about 360lbs of concrete block testing it. I practice driving without brakes in town as much as I can. If a T4 is running it needs to be rolling for a semblance of gas mileage.

17. Nov 14, 2023 at 6:22 PM
    Greg D

Greg D New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner
    My Limited Xreas has a 31mm front and 22mm rear

18. Nov 14, 2023 at 7:13 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    31 MM on my limited front sway bar. Did not check rear at this point.

Products Discussed in

To Top