1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Southern style winch mount

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Lukeboa, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Dec 29, 2021 at 9:39 AM
    Lukeboa

Lukeboa [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    Budget friendly 2015 Trail 4Runner
    Southern style off road bumper, rugcel winch, 3” lift
    I ordered a southern style off road bumper and want to put a winch on it when I assemble it. The only problem is I don’t know how I would be able to engage the winch when it is mounted to the bumper since it will be hidden inside the grill. To access the winch would I have to take my radiator cover off every time or is there a easier way to reach the engage and disengage switch?

2. Dec 29, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    How you reach the winch clutch handle and wired remote plug-in will depend on how you had the SSO bumper configured.

If you ordered it with the access holes in each side of the fairlead mount then you can manage the winch clutch and wired remote via these access holes. SSO calls this the “Universal Fit” configuration.

If you ordered without the “Universal Fit” access holes then you will have to access from the top requiring you to remove the plastic cover over the grill and radiator or cut an access hole in it. Also, how the winch fits will also depend on which winch you install on the bumper.

I have a “Universal Fit” version on order now for my 2021 OR and plan to access the clutch and remote plug through the access holes.

Cheers,
    Bob

DRobs and Lukeboa[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    Lukeboa

Lukeboa [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    Budget friendly 2015 Trail 4Runner
    Southern style off road bumper, rugcel winch, 3” lift
    Thanks Bob,

is there an easy way to mount a license plate on a bumper?

4. Dec 29, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
  5. Dec 29, 2021 at 4:57 PM
    munit85

munit85 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 trd off-road
    eibach lift, southern style offroad bumper with light, falken at3's stock size, homemade sliders
    I bolted on a friction hinge and attached a piece of 1/8" aluminum which the license plate is attached to. I'll try to get pics, but it was pretty cheap and has worked great. covers the fairlead nicely and just flips up when i need to winch

IMG-2428.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
To Top