1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound proofing roof

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jkdog, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Aug 16, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    Jkdog

Jkdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off-Road Premier
    has anyone put sound proofing on the roof? Love my rack but it does make a little more noise than my Yakima on my old rig. Beholder I can live with it (it is an offroad vehicle) I thought I would see what’s out there and how hard or expensive it would be to sound proof the roof of my truck.

doublewide likes this.
  2. Aug 16, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    doublewide

doublewide New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR PREM
  3. Aug 16, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I think you'd be better off soundproofing more than just the roof to get the results ya wanted.

I sound deadened my entire 2011 Tacoma, roof, doors, rear wall and portions of the floor. It was like night and day.

Watch youtube videos for product and application info. I can't remember off hand what I had, but it was far cheaper and just as effective as big brands like dynomat (which personally I think is a ripoff)

Layering sound deadening and sound absorbing material is where ya really get results.

Jkdog[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 21, 2019 at 4:35 AM
    DavidR

DavidR New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    I'd really like to add some sound deadening to the doors and rear hatch. But then I worry about getting everything back in place just right so it doesn't creak. Has anybody done this? How difficult was it and are you happy with the results?

5. Aug 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM
    Merc_man

Merc_man New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    I used Fat Mat https://www.fatmat.com/ years back and it made a huge difference, I ordered 100 sqft in highschool and I think everyone of my friends did their cars with it also. I never did the roof but I did many a trunk lid, a heat gun and a roller are your friend. I would do it in the summer and ride around with no head liner for a few days to make sure it does not fall down. I would be careful about having the head liner support the added weight if the mat lets go when parking outside in the heat.

6. Aug 22, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    shook

shook New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    I completely sound deadened my 4Runner. I used 3 cases of Stinger Roadkill. Each case has 30sq ft, so about 90sq total to do the floor, doors, hatch, and roof. Made a huge difference in sound, and cooling in combination with tint. It really isn't that difficult to take the interior apart. I recommend threading the screws and bolts back where you took them out from as you go so that it's easier to remember where they came from, and helps with not losing any. If I had to, I would totally do it over again.

IMAG1351.jpg IMAG1353.jpg

boogie and MountainMan like this.
  7. Sep 3, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Merc_man

Merc_man New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner

Do you have any pictures of how you did the doors?

8. Sep 3, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    shook

shook New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    No, I don't. I only deadened the outside skin of the door, not the inside skin where the speakers mount to. I would probably do the speaker mounting surface if I plan to power speakers with an amplifier

9. Dec 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM
    Louisiana Overland

Louisiana Overland New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORP
    OME 3”, SPC UCA, BFG 285/70, Odessey 34R, Dometic CFX50, CVT RTT, SSO full length roof rack, JLAudio, Audison Bit 10, Focal
    I bought mat and foam on Amazon and did all 4 doors. I pit the mat on the door skin and then foam on inside of door...behind door panel. It made a significant difference. I left the hatch alone because I didnt want to replace the struts. The mat is pretty heavy and so were the speakers I installed. Id love to do the roof but I havent worked up the nerve to take it that far apart.

10. Dec 25, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    mdmglobal

mdmglobal ISO ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO MBM
    None yet but looking for some
    Keep us posted if you do the roof, I'd love to know how difficult and how long it takes to remove and reinstall the headliner. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top