1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So many great new tires I want to try!!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MountainMan, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Sep 26, 2021 at 8:02 AM
    MountainMan

MountainMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    I love tires! I love trying new tread patterns out and will change a set of tires out when they hit 60 - 70% tread left.

I live in the Northwest and they are predicting a particularly bad winter this year, which is music to my ears. First, I love driving in the snow and being able to use 4x4 just to get to work 15 miles away.

Last year, I bought a new set of Cooper Evolution MTs and had them siped. Mild winter, but they did really well in deep, wet, and soft snow. Packed snow is like ice and the worst to drive on. They did pretty good.

IMG_20210214_164042148_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately/fortunately they have worn well and still have around 80% tread. So, no new set of tires in October.

I was really wanting to try one of the new tread patterns this winter, but with tire prices shooting up so much, I can't drop $1000+ just to have fun evaluating tires.

My top 3 new tread patterns I would love to try that I think would make excellent all-around commuting and weekend warrior tires for those who get snow for a few months...

The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T:

[​IMG]

The Maxxis RAZR AT...

[​IMG]

And the wildcard is the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT, which is what the new Bronco comes with on the Sasquatch package. The last two sets of Goodyears I tried had harder rubber compounds that were horrible on packed snow/ice. Maybe these are different?

[​IMG]

Plus, I still haven't tried the Wildpeak AT3, or the newer Toyo Open Country AT, or iconic BFG ATKO2. My dad put a set on his Jeep Wrangler last year and is very happy with them.

What new tire designs are you looking forward to try out?

EvilBeagle and Spanner like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top