1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow wheeling tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by donnermel, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Nov 14, 2022 at 12:37 AM
    donnermel

donnermel [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Trail Premium Super White w/ KDSS
    Dobinsons lift and UCA, RCI sliders and front engine skid, H9 bulb swap, Sprint Booster, KnN air filter, Canvasback covers, Raingler cargo net, AVS Window Shade deflectors, Heritage Grill with raptor lights Summer Wheels: Ryder RR03 matte gunmetal with Falken Wildpeaks 285/75/17 Winter Wheels: 18” KD Wheels with Blizzaks Rack is OEM - but changed to black with LFD crossbars Diode Dynamics Ss3 fogs
    Snow wheeling question-
    I live where it can significantly snow so I have a dedicated winter wheel with Blizzaks for daily driving that I switch on in November. Has anyone done any snow wheeling with these? Or if I want to go snow off-roading, should I switch my AT tire/ wheel combo back on? I’m just trying to be safe out there and not get stuck! Thx!

2. Nov 14, 2022 at 6:19 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Both me and my bud running BFG KO2 Load C. We feel its a nice balance in strength and also having 3PMSF rating to keep the rubber soft to maintain grip in cold temperatures.

I care about strength of the tire since there can be broken branches with sharp points hidden under snow. I don't think I met anyone running onroad winter tires on trails even at snow wheeling.

20200229_155037-3.jpg

Toy4X4, Mtbpsych and donnermel[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 14, 2022 at 7:42 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    AmericanGI, donnermel[OP] and kmeeg like this.
  4. Nov 14, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    donnermel

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Dobinsons lift and UCA, RCI sliders and front engine skid, H9 bulb swap, Sprint Booster, KnN air filter, Canvasback covers, Raingler cargo net, AVS Window Shade deflectors, Heritage Grill with raptor lights Summer Wheels: Ryder RR03 matte gunmetal with Falken Wildpeaks 285/75/17 Winter Wheels: 18” KD Wheels with Blizzaks Rack is OEM - but changed to black with LFD crossbars Diode Dynamics Ss3 fogs
    I care about strength of the tire since there can be broken branches with sharp points hidden under snow. I don't think I met anyone running onroad winter tires on trails even at snow wheeling.

- This totally makes sense about the strength of the tires. The Blizzaks are definitely soft, which makes them perfect for winter road tires ( plus the sipes). I will definitely switch my wheels out to my Falken Wildpeaks if I really want to go snow wheeling. Thanks!

kmeeg likes this.
  5. Nov 14, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    donnermel

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    This is great! A little snow and mud in that review- the Blizzaks seemed ok. Maybe they’re ok for some light snow off-roading, but if I’m going to go out and do a bigger run, think I’ll still switch them out to my ATs. But I gotta say, I’ve never felt safer driving on the pavement in snowy, icy conditions than with my Blizzaks.

Edit- the “C’mon 4Runner” part of him stuck in the icy, muddy water definitely solidified wanting better tires than the Blizzaks out there for me.
    But this was a great video- thanks for posting.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Nov 14, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Falken wildpeak at3w are up there

donnermel[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 14, 2022 at 11:38 PM
    donnermel

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Yep, those are my normal tires, just switch them to dedicated winter tires for the winter.

8. Nov 15, 2022 at 3:48 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    If you have a regular ritual of changing to a 'winter tire' and it works for you, stick with that. It is totally one thing to get caught in a snow storm,,,, (and I know first hand about that where you live) and having your A/T's on yet, they probably would do just fine, and when you get the chance, do your tire swap. Going over Donner in the winter in a semi can be 'interesting', chaining up sucks! At least you didn't ask about chains, but I am also surprised at the amount of people who have chains for winter. Seen lots of vehicles with chains on some hunting trips in the west..... I guess let's not go there with the chains thing. Have a good one!

9. Nov 18, 2022 at 10:48 AM
    TrailSpecial22

TrailSpecial22 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Trail Special Edition Lunar Rock
    2” lift Bilstein 6112 w/600 lb coils front, 1.5” lift Eibach T13 coils rear, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD skidplate, TRD stainless catback w/black TRD side exhaust, TRD shifter handle, Weathertech bug deflector, 20% tint front, LED door bulbs, 285/70/17 Falken WP AT3, Energy Suspension front bumpstops, SSO Slimline Bumper w/ Badland Shackles, Durobumps 4.25” rear
    Falken WP AT3 are the way to go imo

donnermel[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. Nov 18, 2022 at 11:37 AM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    I had wrangler MTR's on my Tacoma. They performed awesome in the snow. They are loud on road but had really good off road performance.

donnermel[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 18, 2022 at 11:42 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    GY Duratracs are great in the snow in my opinion, though less so on the highway.

donnermel[OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 18, 2022 at 12:08 PM
    donnermel

Member:
    First Name:
    dita.yota
    Truckee/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Yes! These are my normal tires, I just take them off in the winter to be safer driving on icy roads. But, think I’ll switch them out if I’m going out for a snow wheeling day.

13. Nov 19, 2022 at 3:06 AM
    Ozzy52

Ozzy52 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle:
    2013 Sedan avalon
    None
    How are the toyo observe GSi 6 , for the 4runner?

Products Discussed in

To Top