1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snow chains for a 2020 TRD Off-road

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by kaitlyn2004, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Oct 23, 2020 at 8:31 PM
    kaitlyn2004

kaitlyn2004 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Have 2020 4runner trd off-road and will have falken wildpeak a/t3w which I believe are SLIGHTLY larger than stock, but I guess the same standard 265/70R17 size.

On my previous Audi it specifically recommended no chains so I remember trying to specifically get very low profile ones. Doesn't seem to be an issue on the 4runner, but I saw notes about 5mm diameter for the chain... links? Don't know if that's plenty or on the smaller size. Only other thing I caught was mention to avoid damage to the alloy wheels.

Any recommendations for a chain? I have specific roads where I ABSOLUTELY need them, so no need for comments that they won't be needed :)

2. Oct 23, 2020 at 8:46 PM
    beemertrash

beemertrash Just Another Brick In The Wall

Member:
    Dayton, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Light Silver
    edgesalon and alittleoff like this.
  3. Oct 23, 2020 at 8:52 PM
    kaitlyn2004

Member:
    How'd you even end up selecting them?

These, for example, seem similar:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Toyota/4Runner/2020/TC2828.html?VehicleID=2020760999

no chain/wire/etc. going across the alloy wheel... for better or worse.

4. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    beemertrash

Member:
    Dayton, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Light Silver
    Just looked at all the chains they had at etrailer, read the reviews and watched the videos and went with the TC2326, the ones you gave a link too look good too. Just throwing it out there. Good luck.

5. Oct 23, 2020 at 11:09 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    I cannot comment or tell you that the chains aren't needed.
    I do however have some questions.
    I plow snow & lawn, landscape for a living (on concrete & not with our 4runner).
    I am simply wondering under what conditions you need chains? I am being honest.
    If it is snowpack, mud, ice sludge etc...
    True honesty; in my 23 yrs of snowplowing I have one needed (might have worked) chains to cross unplowed farm areas with no wind blocks. It still happens around here. I cannot reach my customers until I can get there.
    I only ask as it may make me more money if I understand your position and climate.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

6. Oct 24, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    kaitlyn2004

Member:
    I travel up forestry roads into provincial parks, where rangers have manned checkpoints that chains must be USED beyond a certain point, no exceptions.

7. Oct 24, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    These guys and gals really know about tire chains, call em up and ask them:
    https://www.tirechain.com/

I've talked to them in the past and have ordered multiple sets of chains from them over the years, and they've never let me down.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. Oct 25, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Good morning @kaitlyn2004. The chains that @beemertrash linked, are the style that I’ve been using for many years and have not had any problems with. They are quick and easy to install and easy to remove.
    At the recommended speed of 25 mph or less, they are very smooth as compared to the ladder style ones.
    On the mountain roads that you’re driving on probably have a wicked coat of black ice to deal with.
    These chains will be perfect for the super elevated curves (the banking) on those mtn. roads.
    I used to live in the So. Cal. Mtns. so I’m no stranger to black ice.

And if I might add, stay away from those cheesy cable type chains, they are trash.

The best to you Kaitlyn.

Edit. On my previous ‘98 T4R, I used them on the front since there was more clearance for them. On my ‘16 T4R, not so much so they go on the rear tires.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    DRobs and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Oct 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    Big B

Big B Out Exploring

Member:
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    KINGS! w/ adjust Method Race Wheels, Good Year Ultra-terrains 285/70/r17, GOBI Rack, Baja-Designs/Cali-Raised LED Lights, SSO stealth front bumper, RSG Sliders, FACTOR 55 ultrahook Smitty Bilt x20 winch (syn.), TYT TH9800, X Bull Recovery Boards
    If you only had a set(2) of these would you put them on the front wheels or rear on a 4runner? Its rear wheel drive but you'd def be in atleast 4hi if you were going to use em....so?

10. Oct 26, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    beemertrash

Member:
    Dayton, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Light Silver
    Did you look in your owners manual ? Mine says install chains on rear wheels only.

Big B likes this.
  11. Oct 26, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    Big B

Big B Out Exploring

Member:
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    KINGS! w/ adjust Method Race Wheels, Good Year Ultra-terrains 285/70/r17, GOBI Rack, Baja-Designs/Cali-Raised LED Lights, SSO stealth front bumper, RSG Sliders, FACTOR 55 ultrahook Smitty Bilt x20 winch (syn.), TYT TH9800, X Bull Recovery Boards
    nope...faster to ask here ;)

12. Oct 26, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    It really comes down to personal preference and experience. On the front, if there is enough clearance, I would have done this. Simply because you have (in 4wd) steering, acceleration and brakes. And I’ve driven past many stuck trucks because they have their chains on the rear and no weight on the rear axle.
    Sadly with my stock height T4R, clearance is the issue. So they go on the back.

beemertrash likes this.
  13. Oct 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Climbing snowy ice covered long steep hills is where chains can make a huge difference.

I don't have chains currently for my 4Runner as I plan to go up a couple tire sizes.

I do have Diamond Pattern Chains (similar to what Beemertrash posted) for my 4x4 Nissan Frontier and have used them to get out of situations.

One such situation was when a friend asked me to pull his RWD Volvo away from his pond and up his long driveway. Soon as I pulled into his driveway, I found myself sliding into a gully with trees and no place to go. Putting diamond chains on the front of my Frontier gave me enough traction to reverse out of the situation.

I then pulled his vehicle out in reverse with my tow rope and the snow chains on the front of my pickup.

Couple years previously I got stuck and needed a pull up a mile long, snow over ice covered, hill. It was Christmas party at a friend's house. We took our front wheel drive Chevy Captiva as we had 2 passengers who, would not have been comfortable riding in the back of my king cab 4x4 Nissan.

We left and got 1/2 way up that hill and couldn't go farther, just kept sliding backwards. More attempts resulting in loosing ground, not getting higher up the hill. The other direction was just as bad with a long hill.

Out here in the sticks, there are no barriers preventing you from sliding off the side of a hill. Slapping on a set of chains would've gotten me up that hill.

The other issue was I had a drink or 2 at the party along with food and time. I wouldn't consider myself drunk but I also didn't want to "invite the man into my life."

Instead I was stuck. I was able to call a friend, who pulled me up the hill with his Tacoma outfitted with chains.

beemertrash likes this.
  14. Oct 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Another vote for the style of chains Beemertrash recommended.

Question - does your Off Road have KDSS?

If not, I'd really recommend you install a suspension lift. With those stock size tires, the suspension lift does 2 things.
    1. Allows more clearance for chains on both the front and rear.
    2. Significantly improves the on road handling of a non-KDSS 4Runner. Off Road is improved as well.

I have an Eibach Pro Truck Lift installed on my non-kdss 4Runner. The handling is apples and oranges better than the stock. Body sway is gone and nose dive on braking is significantly reduced. I can now take curves at higher speeds as result. It really is a significant improvement to the vehicle.

15. Oct 27, 2020 at 1:28 PM
    kaitlyn2004

Member:
    Yeah, I've thought about this too - I understand (most of?) the reasoning for
    I've got 2020 w/ KDSS. Gonna hold off on life for now/indefinitely...

DRobs[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 17, 2020 at 5:23 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    hey I was told at the dealer not to use chains they even maid me sign a paper stating that using chains is prohibited, any one else get the same thing when you purchased ?
    any reason not to use cables instead of chains

17. Nov 17, 2020 at 5:35 PM
    beemertrash

Member:
    Dayton, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Light Silver
    The dealer never said anything to me about not using chains, plus the owners manual says it is fine as long as you use them on the rear tires only and the max size is 5mm. I would believe the factory before the dealer. JMHO.

Wvmoonshiner likes this.
  18. Nov 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Please use chains for the safety of you and your family.
    And for the safety of others.
    Dealers are always in a perpetual CYA mode.

beemertrash and 7385 like this.
  19. Dec 9, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    We were snowbound on a ranch during an elk hunt in Wyoming out of Thermopolis. Had to wait for a thaw and had about a 100 yard hill to climb out of camp. I made it about 3/4 of the way up. My buddy chained up all fours on his Ford p/u and drove around the road to the top. We all went as far as we could and tied off to his bumper, and he pulled us up. Drove the rest of the way with no problem.

PS: I've carried chains in my trucks when going hunting; otherwise, no.

Products Discussed in

To Top