1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel Questions

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by weezol, Nov 5, 2022.

1. Nov 5, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    weezol

weezol [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm considering adding a snorkel to my ORP.

-No I do not plan on doing any deep water crossings.
    -The aesthetics and resale value being affected do not bother me.
    -I understand that probably 99% of drivers do not need a snorkel.

I'm mostly interested in the cleaner air aspect of it. I drive through pretty dusty conditions regularly, and currently live in NC. I see lots of dusty roads on the way to work, and lots of bugs here. In a couple years I'll be moving back to TX where I'll be seeing just as much, if not more dusty roads.

I won't say that the dust I see now is so bad that my 4Runner is choking every week, but a part of me wants to add a snorkel just because.

What I wanted to ask was:

Are there any detriments to a snorkel?

I've seen pre-cleaner filters available that go over or inside snorkels. Do these cut down air into the engine in any way?

I've also seen posts mentioning snow clogging snorkels. Would one of these pre-cleaner socks help?

While I don't live in an area that sees snow, I would like to know if I'm "handicapping" my 4Runner in any way by adding a snorkel to it if that makes sense.

And for reference, I am considering either the TJM or ARB Safari. Thanks for any input

grizzlypath likes this.
  2. Nov 5, 2022 at 6:40 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Until real users comment here's my comment as someone who had plan but did not install.

When I was looking really love the TJM low profile design but I don't think I have good confidence its intake is right on the windshield splashing water and possibly clog up with snow.

Vs ARB ones you can turn the head to rear facing that would possibly prevent that problem. But in person ARB are too bulky to my choice for a 4runner. I prefer a low profile style like TJM.

I'm also concerned about rust after cutting the metal as to can a shop paint properly to prevent rust.

For sure our 4runners with lot of electronics and gas engines are not best for water crossings like diesels with lesser electronics. My 4x4 also ask me to they should seal some of the critical stuff to be sealed.

In the USA I haven't seen cyclone style pre-filter.

weezol[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 5, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Snorkels don’t really have any negatives. Pre cleaners are a nice add on, but not necessary. Most run them in extreme dusty conditions (like Sahara lol)

weezol[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 5, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I follow Andrew on this channel (link attached) He is a seasoned overlander both in Africa and Australia. He equips his vehicles with a snorkel. Personally I off-road 1-2 times a month on desert trails that get so dusty that at times I must stop and let the dust clear so I can see where I’m going.

I recently replaced my air filter and kept the old one so I can use it when off-roading. I’ve actually been surprised that after many off-road adventures, the air filter didn’t look bad at all.

https://m.youtube.com/user/4xforum/videos

SlvrSlug and weezol[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top