1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snorkel question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Sailormilan2, Feb 7, 2023.

1. Feb 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM
    Sailormilan2

Sailormilan2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Premium
    I’ve read several threads about snorkels here, and other places, and have a question regarding a comment I had read about one.
    In one post, after comments about the snorkel allows cooler and cleaner air to enter the system, one person commented that a snorkel restricts the air flow.
    One would think that with the forward motion of the vehicle, there would be a ram air effect. I ask, because yesterday I saw a Tacoma that had a snorkel with the intake pointed to the rear.
    So, does a snorkel restrict air flow, or is there a ram air effect?

2. Feb 7, 2023 at 12:03 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    A snorkel doesn't restrict flow or have a ram air effect or at least nothing that will gain you any power. Usually they flow straight through to the rear of the hat so any moister can be pass through without going down.

3. Feb 7, 2023 at 12:13 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    There’s not a ram air effect. It’s the opposite. When the vehicle is stationary the air flow is restricted simply because the engine is sucking air through a straw. When the vehicle is moving the problem is worse, owing to Benoulli’s principle, which cites an inverse relationship between air speed and air pressure. The air flow over the vehicle is stymied at the base of the windshield. It’s moving slower, and there’s higher air pressure there, and that is why the cabin vents are located there. The top of the windshield is a place where the air is moving the fastest. The air pressure is low, acting like a vacuum. The engine actually hast to work a little harder to suck air in past the vacuum and through the straw.

But it’s easier for the engine to do that than to suck air through a clogged air filter, and that’s the reason for a snorkel. To save the air filter.

4. Feb 7, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    scanny

scanny New Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    I think intake of that Tacoma was pointed to the rear because some snorkels with intake facing forward can be quite noisy at highway speeds.

5. Feb 7, 2023 at 6:48 PM
    K-Paul

K-Paul Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    They are mostly for driving in sandy conditions. Your wheel kicks up a ton of sand and dust and its right next to the wheel well where your air comes in.

A side benefit is that it reduces the chance of getting water into your engine bay when going through water crossings. Although TBH your biggest risk is your fuse box....

Products Discussed in

To Top