1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I 'rent' an ORP without KDSS and then return it for an ORP with KDSS once they're available?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by neverEnoughRice, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Jan 6, 2022 at 7:57 PM
    neverEnoughRice

neverEnoughRice [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everybody, I wanted to ask what your opinions are on my situation.

I currently have two dealerships that I've made a deposit with that said they would sell me an Army Green 2022 ORP with KDSS/Moonroof/Premium Plus Package at MSRP. I put my $500 deposit into the first dealership in NY around the end of August 2021. After four months of waiting and no allocation, I put in another deposit ($1000) to a larger dealer in PA in December. It is now five months of waiting on an allocation update from the NY dealership. The PA dealership has not gotten back to me about an allocation yet but it has only been a month since my deposit.

I have noticed on the NY dealer website that they have a Gray ORP with the Moonroof and Premium Plus Package, no KDSS. I understand the car market is insane right now but I am feeling very impatient at the moment since I have been without a car since March 2021. I am considering buying the ORP without KDSS at this dealer and then trading it in to the PA dealership once they have the one with KDSS that I really want. I know I will essentially have to pay tax on both purchases but with the current market, I am assuming the trade-in value will help pay that off.

To summarize, should I basically 'rent' an ORP without KDSS and then 'return' it for an ORP with KDSS once, if ever, the dealership gets one delivered. I've been looking at used options on Craigslist and word-of-mouth to hold me over but so far, nothing. I did spot the one I want closer to me but the dealership wanted a $5000 markup.

Thanks in advance

2. Jan 6, 2022 at 9:19 PM
    S8ULATR

S8ULATR New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2 Germans & a Beast
    That is a lot of info. Personally (and that's not what you're asking), I would take the Gray ORP without KDSS and keep it. Assume you do, but make sure you want KDSS... The Gray is a fantastic color (most would prefer).

First and foremost, just because the Gray 4Runner is on the website, that does not mean it is available. It likely has already sold, is held for another customer on deposit, or may still be in transit even if it has a stock number. Most dealerships rely on Toyota corporate for their website listings, and those can take weeks to update.

If you really want to hold out for an Army Green with KDSS, it would 99%, even in this market, be a better decision to just hold out. If you had to, it would probably be better to rent a car from Hertz/Enterprise or buy a beater in the meantime. Tax, registration, fees and the unknown of trade in value (which even in this market, will surprise you) are very material negative factors to your proposition. Additionally, the un-needed multiple inquiries on your credit if you aren't paying cash for the car.

Nutshell, hold out however you can... And, after reading your post again, the one with the $5k markup (which believe it or not, is not terrible in this market) would likely be cheaper than your original proposition of "renting".

You do, really, want KDSS, right???

When you finally end up in the 4R you truly want, you will be very happy....something to look forward to :)

3. Jan 6, 2022 at 9:29 PM
    Sterling

Sterling New Member

Member:
    Don’t know if I have much to offer except, buy the vehicle you want! I agree with the post above, maybe buy a beater to get you through for a bit. Then trade it or sell it down the road. Maybe even keep it as a grocery getter.

4. Jan 7, 2022 at 4:37 AM
    peaceloveandtattoos

peaceloveandtattoos New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Army Green ORP
    Trd pro skid plate, roof rack, wheels, tires and lift, predator tubes
    I can tell you that the Army Green is worth the wait :)

5. Jan 7, 2022 at 5:33 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    I would try casting your net further west and see what other dealers have an allocation for that suit your desires. You will spend some serious time on the phone but you may find something you want but have to make a trip to get it. You cannot rely on what websites show in inventory or in transit they are not real time inventory

neverEnoughRice[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 7, 2022 at 5:56 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    You better double check the data. I thought OR comes with kdss by default. SR /SR5 optional, TRDOR by default, limited xrea and so on.

7. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:00 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Last I saw, KDSS is optional on OR and ORP. It's not available on any other trim. In Canada, though, it seems to be standard on the OR and ORP.

Edit: I confirmed this on Toyota's website.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Spare Parts likes this.
  8. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:06 AM
    SCMountaineer

SCMountaineer New Member

Member:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    On my third 5th gen — 2021 SR5 premium 4wd
    Gunmetal TRD wheels, Yakima rack, Canvasback covers
    Maybe in Canada...but in the US its not available at all on the SR5 models, and is optional on the TRD Off Roads.

travelinscout and Thatbassguy like this.
  9. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:11 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    never understood why they split the markets like this. KDSS on all OR and call it a day, it would probably save a lot of money in the long run

10. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:25 AM
    AZ_Trails

AZ_Trails New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Premium
    Paying tax twice would absolutely drive me nuts. I'd either buy the Grey ORP and stick with it, OR wait for the AG ORP with KDSS.

11. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I wonder why it seems to be standard in Canada? A lot of people don't want it. It's a waste for those who will heavily modify their suspension.

12. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:31 AM
    canadian.bacon

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    It is probably a very small number of those who don’t want it.
    And to top it off, the best selling trim is the Limited, at least here in Canada.

13. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    If you want trouble free reliable 4R go for without kdss.

If you want to lift more than 1in rear go for without kdss (as per KDSS article from Accutune).

If you want more wheel articulation with an extended travel shocks (not long travel) go for without kdss. (As per Accutune, R4T, Snailtrail videos)

If you want to keep it stock and regularly remove kdss valve cover to clean it so it won't corrode and give you a nightmare go with KDSS.

14. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    neverEnoughRice

Member:
    I think I would be fine with a Barcelona Red or Lunar Rock but I haven't seen many of those with the options I wanted.

I see...it has been on their website for about a month or two now so that may be true.

Right now I am using my parents grocery getter but it's not something I would trust on road trips. I've been working from home for about eight months now and I wanted to do some light overlanding in areas with cell service in that time, I didn't think it would be possible to do that in a rent-a-car or beater which is what the 4Runner was for. I've seen some Grand Cherokees for sale but with high mileage and/or high asking price, depreciation is also a factor. I don't know if I would trust the electrical system or Quadra-Lift in the middle of the woods by myself either.

For 'renting' the 4Runner, I mean even in the worst-case scenario which I don't get a MSRP KDSS one this year, I would at least be able to overland and trade-in eventually for a 2023 or 6th Gen 4Runner with KDSS (or a KDSS-like system). The inquiries on credit I don't really mind, it is high enough that it won't affect anything for me at the moment.

I suppose that is true and you are right because there are some in the same area selling used ones +$20k 'market adjustment'. It is more of a principle for me not to pay the markup.

I definitely do, but all this waiting is driving me nuts!

15. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:42 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Out if the whole market, yes. But, a lot of people seem to think they need a 3" lift, which can get complicated with KDSS.

I see a lot of Limiteds here, too. But, I don't think it's the best selling trim.

16. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:44 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Lift is useless with Limited unless you change the bumper to SR5/ TRD per my experience.

17. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    neverEnoughRice

Member:
    I was looking into some in the midwest area after seeing a post in the MSRP dealerships thread. I'm not sure about it yet, I am working from home so I could possibly get it and work on the drive back but I may use a transportation service if the price is reasonable.

18. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I thought I explained to you why this is wrong. Travel becomes limited, not articulation.

Please stop using the R4T video as a reference. That guy is completely clueless, and no-one should listen to him.

The OP has chosen KDSS. This thread isn't about whether or not to buy KDSS.

suaveflooder and travelinscout like this.
  19. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:50 AM
    neverEnoughRice

Member:
    I am most likely not going to lift it, I don't plan on doing trails that difficult for the stock clearance at the moment. KDSS for me is more for the body roll, the articulation off-road is just a plus. I've seen that thread, yes, it is definitely a nightmare if it's left alone but I was going to undercoat it as well.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:52 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think the 6th gen might get an improved version of KDSS. The new version in some models eliminates the hydraulics, so the accumulator shouldn't be a potential issue as it is currently.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Jan 7, 2022 at 6:55 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    You should be fine as long as you take care of it. Mine is lifted 2.3/1.5" and I beat the heck out of it. So far, no problem!

22. Jan 8, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    neverEnoughRice

Member:
    Would a suspension upgrade like 5100s improve body roll similar to KDSS? I know they're completely different things but I may upgrade suspension later on anyway and using the money I save not getting KDSS for an upgrade kit would be a plus.

23. Jan 8, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Any good aftermarket suspension will make it feel more stable. The stock shocks are super mushy.

Another thing to consider is that KDSS does not help with the nosedive feeling when braking.

24. Jan 8, 2022 at 3:36 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I still say you should not settle for a 4Runner you don't want.

But, if you're not certain that you really want KDSS, go drive one without it, and see if you like it.

neverEnoughRice[OP] likes this.
  25. Jan 8, 2022 at 5:13 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I like the stock mushy ride. :)

26. Jan 9, 2022 at 1:01 PM
    Cardork

Cardork New Member

Member:
    Redwood Curtain
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Having driven many 4Runners, KDSS ain’t no joke and has proven the test of time in terms of durability both on 4Runners and Land Cruisers.
    This is one of the better write ups on the system: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/23/toyota-4runner-suspension-deep-dive/

And while there are challenges to lifting, these are not insurmountable and my Venture has been quite decent away from pavement stock.

27. Jan 9, 2022 at 10:00 PM
    sapnjack

sapnjack New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 4runner TRD Offroad Premium
    My ORP just came in with KDSS... the cornering is pretty amazing compared to an SR5 I test drove. Hardly any body roll; still some nose dive though :/

We went KDSS as it'll be a primary on-road family car with occasional weekend off-roading. If you want KDSS for the improved on-road handling then I definitely recommend it.

28. Jan 10, 2022 at 3:50 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 premium 4x4 (sold) 2022 ram classic tradesman 5.7L 4x4 (current)
    It seems like a very nice thing until things go wrong when doing research around this forum, someone had a $5000 estimate and another had a $7000 estimated repair at dealer, that’s insane!

29. Jan 10, 2022 at 4:03 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    KDSS will not affect nosedive. It only helps with body roll, and the increased articulation at low speeds.

Remember to remove the accumulator skid occasionally, especially after off-road trips and clean the accumulator.

Yes, repairs are expensive. But, failures are pretty uncommon. It's usually a case of corrosion caused by lack of maintenance.

30. Jan 10, 2022 at 6:58 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    The crusade continues...

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in