1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy? 2004 V8

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by wkim44, May 29, 2019.

1. May 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    wkim44

wkim44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First time posting and a newbie with 4 Runners. The last 4-6 weeks I've been researching if I should get a truck or a SUV. After reading more on the 4 Runners, it basically became a no brainer.

I'm an AVID kayak bass angler and was looking for a vehicle that would eventually pull my future bass boat. I decided to pick a 4th gen V8 as it looks like this is the best idea if I'm potentially lugging around a 20+ foot boat. Anyway, I only started my search 2-3 weeks ago and I believe I have found a good one. I wanted to know what everyone thought of it?

The guy seems to be legit (private seller), claims him and his son kept it great (both mechanics). However, I'm going to be diligent before I pull the trigger. I am going to go see it today. Here is the link. Thanks ahead time for any feedback!

2. May 29, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Looks pretty good from the pics.

3. May 29, 2019 at 11:52 AM
    TN_FunRunner

TN_FunRunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP, 2007 SR5 4WD
  4. May 29, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    WMU

WMU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Wabamun, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 - 1GR-FE - Ltd - 2007 - 1GRE - Ltd - 2008 - 2UZ - Ltd
    Shrockworks Bumper - Winch - Rock Sliders - Bilsteins - 2 inch lift - Hankook Dynapro MT
    Meh. Under powered V8. No VVT.
    Pictures and promises are misleading.
    Look at the diff drain plugs, all three,for evidence of service and the drive shaft zerks if you can mechanically inspect the vehicle.
    Have the front CV axles ever been replaced and with what brand or quality? OEM is the only way to go and at $630 CanBuck a piece, $30 for steering knuckle oil seal PLUS installation your into the $800 plus range per axle.

I have a 2008 V8 imported from Bend Oregon 2 years past. @ 110 Km/hr running in the foothills, ups and downs and usually a west head wind 22 miles per American gallon. The 2uz V8 has VVT.
    Be careful not sorry.

5. May 29, 2019 at 11:28 PM
    Hwnrunner

Hwnrunner New Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner SRS Prem 2wd
    TRD Pro Struts/ Coils, Toytec 1" spacer, Dobinsons C59-505 Springs,TRD Pro Sema Wheels, TRD Pro Lower Valances, Ceramic Tint
    My concern is all the other T4R's in the background, either hope that he is a good mechanic and takes care of his stuff or worry that he swaps parts around to make junk trucks look better when he buys and resells.

4runningMan likes this.
  6. May 30, 2019 at 2:28 AM
    gunsnob

gunsnob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    Kings Shocks, SPC UCA’s, Method MR702 rims, Toyo AT III’s in 285/70/17, Gobi Roof Rack, various Baja Designs lights.
    i wouldn’t buy it. Used never works out for me...

7. May 30, 2019 at 5:42 AM
    wkim44

wkim44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback. I did ask him about this and he explained to me he loves the T4Rs and the one in the background is the one he likes better. He bought the '04 4 years ago and put only 30km. He used all synthetic oil etc. He is getting rid of the '04 because he has no more room in his driveway. He and his son work on all their cars. I am going to have my own mechanic to look at it, since I don't just trust what he states. He is willing to drive up a hour to prove that it is in great shape. He was actually pretty arrogant in his statements and was surprised why I'm so suspicious. :)

8. May 30, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    wkim44

wkim44 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback. I did not ask this question. My mechanic who I trust is going to take a look at it next week and I'll make sure he will check that. My mechanic recommended not to trust US cars. Question, did you go see it before importing? I did check for any T4Rs with the updated engine but they are priced out of my current budget unfortunately. The joys of having kids, house and cottage in Ontario. :)

jgcaps likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top