1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary Air system question

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by janovpelorat, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Jan 8, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    janovpelorat

janovpelorat [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 4runner
    I have 2006 4runner with the 4.7 v8, and it started making a droning noise this morning. Doing some research it seems like it could be from the secondary air injection system (known problem) but to start trying to narrow it down I was wondering if that noise would be tied to engine RPM or if it would just be a constant drone. My noise is tied to engine RPM. I have checked the obvious (PS is full, AC off) Any help much appreciated, we are on vacation and a 6.5 hr drive from home.

Edit: I would also like to add, that it drives fine. No obvious problems with power, shifting, anything like that, and the noise does not go away after it warms up, leading me to believe that this is not the secondary air injection system....

I will post a video to and record the sound soon.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  2. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:24 PM
    Mick4Yota

Mick4Yota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Limited 4Runner V8
    Bilstein 5100's, Toyo At2 tires
    Dude got same exact 4runner and experiencing sec air inject system issues now. Ran the code scanner and got codes p1445 and p1446 whihc is bank 2. You have any codes coming up?

3. Feb 13, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    Hewitt technology makes a bypass for this for a decent price. Have to splice open wires for it but honestly and ez install coming from someone with no electrical experience. If you haven’t thrown codes yet, I was informed you just need the bypass and not the plates.

Hewitt technology has a lot of good info about it. I recommend starting there as the repair cost is mighty steep. Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top