1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seafoam anyone?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Sandbuster, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Apr 13, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster [OP] Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Please - this is just FYI only. I know from other forums I'm on that many folks are very familiar with Seafoam but not so much with some of it's competition - take a look and make your own judgements...

I subscribe to Quora, which is akin to Wikipedia, and ran across this write-up this morning on Seafoam - don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.

https://www.quora.com/How-often-should-you-put-Sea-Foam-in-your-gas-tank

About a hundred years ago or so I was introduced to a product called Berryman B-12 Chemtool when I did dyno work for a Lincoln-Mercury dealership in Eugene, Oregon. In my humble experience nothing compared then or now to the product. Of course as Seafoam became more popular I tried it a couple of times for comparisons sake. Still using Berryman...

Here's a YouTube clip on Berryman:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNCiDQeeqAI

2. Apr 15, 2022 at 8:56 PM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    Seafoam fuel additive is one thing, but what earned Seafoam its rep is Sea Foam SS14, the spray treatment you employ in your intake for 5 minutes while the engine is kept tach'd about 2K, let it sit for a few minutes and take it for a drive until the white smoke burns off. There's LOTS of testing that has shown with a borescope before and after how awesome it works to clean up your throttle body, valves and upper cylinder. I've never seen anything else perform so well.

Does Berryman have anything like that? Perhaps they do and I've just not ever seen it.

3. May 20, 2022 at 12:31 AM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    Now you’ve got me interested. Berryman has several products that seem to be applicable to the 4Runner.
    Which product(s) do you use, how much, and how often?
    Thx.

4. May 20, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    All fuel additives, including Seafoam's, are not very effective at much of anything except separating people from $5-$10 in their wallet, but that's not the product that should come to mind when someone mentions using Seafoam. The Seafoam that has been proven over and over that it works you don't pour in the tank or oil. The seafoam that works is a spray can that comes with a specially made bent red straw.

2022-05-20_7-48-11.jpg

This is how you properly use Seafoam, by unclamping your intake tube and inserting Seafoam's red straw, and then clamping back your intake around it and spraying it directly into the throttle body while revving the engine about 1500-2000rpms.

using seafoam.jpg
    Chris Fix: Does Seafoam Actually Work in a Car? (with Proof)

Project Farm: Seafoam--can't believe what it did to my engine!!

Project Farm: The Seafoam Treatment, A Year Later

^^^ THAT is the 'Seafoam' treatment that earned Seafoam its reputation and AFAIK it's not comparable to anything made by Berryman. They are completely different products for different purposes.

5. May 20, 2022 at 6:07 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    Just here to add, i dig ProjectFarm.

Ill find myself watching "which windshield wiper is best" shit, at 2am, and then wonder about my choices i make next day on shift.

4-Funner and Tama1968 like this.
  6. May 20, 2022 at 10:49 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    It’s really weird that his before and after borescope images appear to be processed differently so the before images look darker to emphasize the carbon buildup.

My nonprofessional opinion is no appreciable difference in carbon buildup.

7. May 20, 2022 at 1:51 PM
    ElectroBoy

ElectroBoy Ad astra

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 ORP
    That’s what I thought too. Not much of an improvement. Maybe it would take several more treatments to make a real visible difference.

If one measure of success is clean pistons, why not just remove the plugs, spray inside each cylinder, and let it soak before firing it up?

LandCruiser[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 20, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Have you tried getting to some spark plugs on some cars?

I'd spray this in the intake in 2 shakes than take off manifolds and stuff.

9. May 27, 2022 at 11:33 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster [OP] Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    I use the Berryman product more in my UTV (Rhino) and wife's Kodiak more than anywhere else - also the lawnmower. It's a great product - I just don't have enough miles on the Runner to justify its use on it (yet).

Products Discussed in

To Top