1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Saggy rear-end

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dfar4x4, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Nov 5, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    dfar4x4

dfar4x4 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi Guys-
    Looking for some advice-
    2018 5th gen stock here except for the KO2's. My girl has a saggy ass because
    Ive got an Alu-cab rooftop tent, awning and shower cube installed. Couple hundred pounds up top and will be looking to add goose gear equipment for the rear. All of this while touring out west. Currently, the rear-end has a slight sag with all the extra weight up top.
    Looking for advice about how to move forward.
    Do I just need overlanding rear-end springs? Higher suspension lift? Both? Again, I'll have more weight coming in rear and will be doing off-road stuff in southwest US (Utah, Arizona etc.)

Thoughts?
    Thanks!!!!!

WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  2. Nov 5, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Would a rear spacer be a good temporary/cheap fix until you decide to do a full suspension upgrade? Might get you by if you’re not hardcore off road.

3. Dec 3, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    AccuTune Offroad

AccuTune Offroad New Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2.5" Fox Suspension
    Definitely will want a heavier rate spring, but I would suggest getting all your upgrades installed before looking into the correct spring. Shocks should also be addressed at the same time. This will help with handling and help prevent the vehicle from bottoming out.

WallyT4R and Thatbassguy like this.
  4. Jan 17, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    Tylandus

Tylandus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Former Taco owner. 2019 4Runner SR5 Premium/3rd row.
    Ask any trainer and they will recommend squats to remedy a saggy rear-end! :militarypress:

Thatbassguy and JBTRD like this.
  5. Jan 17, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    As mentioned, heavier springs will help. You could also consider air-bags if you just want to maintain stock height.

6. Jan 17, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    I have the same amount of weight as you do on my 4. Upgraded the suspension before adding the weight due to handling concerns with the stock suspension with just a little weight in it. IMO the stock suspension starts to go bad after 30,000 miles. Toyota skimps on their suspensions. Anyway, here is what I added and there are no issues whatsoever after this.

It was about as cheap as I could go and still have a high quality suspension that was going to last and be adequate for the amount of weight the 4 carries on a daily basis. Are there better setups out there? Definitely, I'm sure, but I didn't want to blow out the budget and I wanted as low maintenance as possible. Didn't want to have to rebuild suspension components regularly.

Eibach PRO front coilovers
    OME 8295 rear springs
    JBA UCA's
    trim packer type spacers on the drivers side front and rear
    Durobump bump stops

I got all this through Wheelers Off Road except for the upper control arms which were bought directly from JBA. The people at Wheelers also assembled the front coilovers, for a fee of course, so everything was bolt on when it arrived.

Wheelers is very helpful and I settled on this setup from their recommendations after discussing with them what I was going to carry on the 4 daily and how I was going to use it, towing, carrying dirt bikes, etc....Also took advantage of a little sale they had going on at the time and all this cost me around $1600.

It rides like a truck, which I like. It is solid and planted. In the corners...probably equivalent to KDSS type handling (I don't have KDSS). Yet off road it is compliant. Even with all the weight my 4 still has some rake to it. When I throw the 300 pound dual sport on the hitch rack the 4 rides about level. Needless to say I am very happy with this setup.

SlvrSlug likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top