1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust in the PNW?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by AChar, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Jan 30, 2023 at 3:07 PM
    AChar

AChar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Vehicle:
    Gen5
    nothing yet
    Am getting a 2023 4Runner and have heard nightmare stories about rust... I don't live in the rust belt, but I did hear that Seattle has started using salt on the roads in the winter. Trying to understand what everyone's thought are on rust treatment needs for the Seattle area? Are the Frames painted on the inside and the outside from the factory (what rust prevention steps does the factory take on new trucks?). If you do treat, what do you use.. where do you take it?

2. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:36 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    The inside of the frame rails and crossmembers look painted just like the outside.

I’ve read that salt is less corrosive during the cold/dry period of winter. And that it’s the spring weather that really gets corrosion kicked into high gear.

Not sure what winters are like in Seattle, but if you have wet winters, you definitely would want to get it coated.

AChar[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    Startrek

Startrek New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    blow as much as possible fluid film inside frame and woolwax outside frame and everywhere on bottom cab

McSpazatron and AChar[OP] like this.
  4. Jan 30, 2023 at 6:46 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    My 4Runner was a few weeks old built in April and arrived in Michigan in June and had rust starting on the welded areas of the frame. It was maybe a month old and in my garage in summer 85 degree days and I noticed it. I had not even driven it in the rain yet.

I had a place put some POR15 on those rusty welds and fluid filmed the whole thing including the spare tire wheel and I lowered that and sprayed that storage area.

Myself I would have your frame treated even out west. I think the humidity from the rain will contribute to rust also if left untreated. That’s just my opinion though. You are spending big bucks to buy it so fluid film is cheap insurance.

I would guess you’ll have less severe issues than that of your Midwest friends here but I don’t see how you will avoid it given the humidity.

The frames are painted a flat black but it’s not a good product.

If you look at trailer hitches on full size trucks out there are they rusting after a few years? My guess is yes. I think the paint used on the 4R frame is the same paint we see exposed on the trailer hitch.

I am a bit anal on this and our fluid film on my hitch and even the small screws holding the plastic around the wheel well. I don’t even drive mine in snow or rain it’s a fair weather truck. But I am ocd and it’s an extra vehicle for me.

Best of luck and it still is a great truck. Hopefully being proactive is the key

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    AChar[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 31, 2023 at 2:06 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Yes, POR 15 the welds and Fluid Film or Wool Wax your truck.

6. Jan 31, 2023 at 2:14 AM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    I live 300 miles East of you.

How many snow events have you experienced in Seattle? How many years have you lived there?

My daughter and son live in Seattle and both drive Toyota vehicles (Sienna and Highlander). Neither has reported any rust issues and snow events are very rare over there, according to them.

The whole area is degrading rapidly and crime is a bigger risk to your 4Runner than rust. Prepare accordingly.

AChar[OP] and Slopemaster like this.
  7. Jan 31, 2023 at 6:55 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    To my knowledge Sienna and Highlander are not built on a separate frame like 4Runner so it makes sense not as much rust if they are not body on frame

Jedi5150 likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2023 at 8:11 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    To answer your questions, yes, the frames are painted inside and out at the factory, but the corrosion resistance of that finish is really not up to par if they use road salt in your area. I live in the heart of the rust belt and have seen many vehicles (including Toyotas) rust away to nothing in way less time than other areas of the country. So, what did I do to my new 4Runner?

Complete Corrosion Protection for my New T4R | Toyota 4Runner Forum [4Runners.com]

9. Jan 31, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    Geojanitor

Geojanitor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red SR5 Premier
    Gobi Stealth Rack, Finn Fab Molle Panels, Greenlane sliders
    One thing to consider in trying to assess salt corrosion is the amount of salt applied to roads in winter. I grew up in upstate New York and after every snow (and in winter up there that was quite often) the road salt trucks were out spreading copious amounts of salt. So cars eventually started to rust out in fender wells and frames. In Seattle, I cannot imagine that they use that much salt that often (environmental regulations aside). So you might want to just consider underwashing your new rig every time you go through the car wash. That's what I do living in the Eastern part of the state and surface rust is minimal with no real corrosion noticed yet.

AChar[OP] likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    AChar

AChar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Vehicle:
    Gen5
    nothing yet
    Any idea in WA state if any places actually do the the lanolin based under coatings?

11. Jan 31, 2023 at 2:19 PM
    AChar

AChar [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Vehicle:
    Gen5
    nothing yet
    We get a couple snow events a year (not a lot), but they also started using a liquid salt spray that they put down on dry paverment beofre snow or potential freezing temps. As for crime... I think there is a homeless issue in a couple confined areas of downtown, but generally Seattle is still a very safe place. All the riots and looting publicity we got a couple years ago was a pretty confined area. We did have a large decrease in the police force during the Covids, but that is ramping back up... I think they have a lot of open positions that they are gradually filling.

12. Jan 31, 2023 at 4:23 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Check the fluid film website and search for dealers and applicatiors by zip code.

Out my way there is a shop that specializes in detailing also that happens to do it and they did mine which is not in the site. I also found some local mechanics who were willing to use a lift and do it for about $200. I think a lot of pickup owners have it done out this way.

One additional thought is to call some Mom and Pop collision shops. Although be careful they don’t try to sell you on the old school rust proofing

AChar[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top