1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running new dash speaker wiring?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by technikal, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Jan 17, 2023 at 9:04 AM
    technikal

technikal [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi - has anyone run new dash speaker wiring on a 5th gen?

I recently upgraded the system in my 2022 (Kicker KSS269 components up front, Key 200.4 amp connected to a KEYLOC powering those and the factory rears) and used the factory wiring with adapters. I don't use the rear speakers much as the primary passenger is usually the dog. The amp support Bi-Amp mode so I could separately power the door and dash speakers, but would need new wiring to at least the dash. I didn't see daylight when looking down through the dash area when replacing the tweeters, so not sure if this is a complicated task or not.

FWIW the new system sounds remarkably better. I originally planned to add a small under-seat sub, but it wouldn't fit with all the power seat wiring and HVAC vent. I went ahead and installed the amp, loc and door/dash speakers and am shocked at how much better it is. Super clear, very loud, tons and tons of good bass - enough that I don't think I'll bother with a sub.

I'm wasting half the amp because I have the rear speakers set to basically silent, so would be interesting to experiment with biamp mode if it doesn't require major surgery.

2. Feb 7, 2023 at 7:10 AM
    rrb1981

rrb1981 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Metallic Toyota 4Runner ORP
    Thanks for posting. I have been curious to "hear" how the Kicker's sound. I have been looking at that exact set. Did you run from the head unit to the Keyloc and then from the Keyloc to the Kicker 200.4 and then back to the disconnected plugs at the head unit?

3. Feb 13, 2023 at 8:03 PM
    technikal

Member:
    It sounds great. I'm no audiophile, but it's substantially better than stock. Gets louder than I want without major distortion and massive improvement in bass and clarity.

I used one of these:

RED WOLF Add AMP Amplifier Subwoofer Speaker Wiring T-Harness Radio Stereo Plug Connector Compatible with Toyota 2018-2022 Camry RAV4 Tacoma Corolla Non-JBL System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DTY8PMD

Cut it in half and connected 2 runs of 9 wire speed wire. Output from the head unit into the keyloc and output from the amp out to the speakers via the adapter.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2024 at 11:01 AM
    Yoda_4RGirl

Yoda_4RGirl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amie
    SE New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey TRD Off Road Premium
    3" ARB OME Lift, 285/70/17 Milestar Patagona MT's; 17x9 -12 Fuel Heater Wheels; UpTop Bravo Roof Rack, Predator Steps and more to come
    Do you know if the front dash speakers are tied into the front door speakers?

5. Mar 7, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    technikal

Member:
    They are.

6. Mar 7, 2024 at 7:52 PM
    kcdude

kcdude New Member

Member:
    Front OEM tweeter and mid in door are wired in parallel.

4Runner Speakers.jpg

7. Mar 8, 2024 at 12:24 PM
    coryanderson

coryanderson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 4x4 - black and tan
    285/75r17 KO2, Bilstein 5100s in front, Dobinsons mid travel shocks in rear with ICON overland springs, P&P Sliders & skids, LFD front bumper, Warn EVO 10-S winch, ARB Dual Compressor w/ Bandi mount, Shrockworks Dual Battery Tray, Westcott roof rack, Kenwood DMX 8709
    I might be trying to do this soon. I just found an amp on diymobileaudio.com coming next week. Any input before I dive in would be helpful....

Products Discussed in

To Top