1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running boards.

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by mtnslyr, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Mar 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM
    mtnslyr

mtnslyr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Do I get OEM running board options added or do I buy them aftermarket? Are the OEM worth $600 they charge?

2. Mar 5, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geno
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro - Black
    Depends on what you want them for. I don't think they're worth the $600, personally... you can find good aftermarket sides steps/running boards for less and there are ALWAYS a lot of folks on here who take off the stock ones and sell at a discount from time to time.

That said... My personal $0.02:

"Running Boards" or "Side Steps" mount to the body. They're simply for providing a step-up into the vehicle or for the look. They do not provide much protection from off-road obstacles like rocks or tree stumps.

Many of us opt to go for "Sliders" (or "rock sliders")... these are far more robust, they mount directly to the FRAME (not the body panels) and provide maximum protection from rocks, stumps, etc... that you might contact when off-roading. Most of them also maximize ground clearance as much as possible (side steps generally hang down too low and rob that ground clearance).

Now, Sliders tend to be more expensive, but IMO are worth the upcharge. You can get VERY good ones for $700-1200. Search the forum for "sliders" and you'll find dozens of different ones that folks here use.

Now, if you are only looking for the "running board" look and a step for accessing the vehicle, and you don't plan much serious off-roading, side steps/running boards are fine.. but, again, I think aftermarket may be more cost efficient and give you more options. VERY easy to install yourself, too. As are the sliders. couple of hours in your driveway with a socket set and a 2nd pair of hands or a floor jack.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    mtnslyr[OP] and The last breed like this.
  3. Mar 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM
    gdgraph

gdgraph New Member

Member:
    Depends on if you like the factory look or something different, don't think it makes a difference. It's whatever you like. You can get OEM ones way cheaper online. I bought a used set in perfect shape on facebook market place for $100...

https://parts.sheehytoyotafrederick...MIrYnepY2w9gIVgwaICR1pHwg0EAQYAiABEgIwYPD_BwE

4. Mar 5, 2022 at 3:24 PM
    crashnburn

crashnburn New Member

Member:
    Kyx nerfbars, TRD roof rack.
    I've been trying to sell mine for $200 with no takers. I swapped in kix ones from Amazon that look similar to the sliders. About $330 I think.

mtnslyr[OP] and The last breed like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    mtnslyr

mtnslyr [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies and @genobluzgtr for detailed insight. I thought $600 for a pair of metal steps with bolts to attach to the car is a little expensive. I just wanna make sure that there is no secret sauce on OEM running board that I’m missing.
    The reason I don’t like automatic running board is the same reason I like 4Runner. I just like uncomplicated simple robust design that works.

6. Mar 11, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    4wheelgreg

4wheelgreg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Bensalem Pa
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Pro
    All Factory running boards in my world are damage multipliers , Frame mounted Rock sliders are the way to go IMO the factory running boards including the Predator side steps bolt to the underside of the body and when pushed or hit just add more damage to your body have no protection especially since the 4runner don’t have body side moldings .

7. Mar 11, 2022 at 7:07 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I was lucky to buy these running boards at $230 vs $600 running boards. Either was running boards are far more usable than Predator steps. Regular running boards are so much easy for the kiddo and doggo to get in and out.
    I have sliders now. I say either buy running boards cheap or buy sliders cry once buy once type of deal.
    upload_2022-3-11_8-3-45.jpg
    https://youtu.be/pXGz3iWez1s

8. Mar 11, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    mtnslyr

mtnslyr [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’m researching some sliders. It will be for a Limited trim though. Any recommendations? Big beefy or off-roady sliders are not gonna work. I want a sleek chromed mall crawler look.

9. Mar 11, 2022 at 9:17 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    the caliraised ones arent too expensive relatively speaking. I dont think there are any true sliders that are chrome though, if that is the level of chrome your looking for.

Products Discussed in

To Top