1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roof Rack on 2021 TRD Pro Question

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by rickystl, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Oct 10, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Hello to ALL you 4Runners. New to this Forum. Have a question for all you experts:

Back Story: I currently own a 2010 FJ Cruiser with 150,000 miles. Been an outstanding vehicle.
    Going to be hard parting with it. I would trade it in on a new one. But as you know they stopped selling the FJ's in the U.S. in 2014. So, my next best option is the 4Runner. I'm essentially getting the same drive train that I like so much. I'm 70 years old now and my next new vehicle might be my last (?) LOL

Early next year I'm planning on trading the FJ in on a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro. Again, I'll be getting the same drive train with a couple upticks. The only potential problem I see is the roof rack. It looks good on the vehicle. It's different than the racks offered on the other 4Runner models. Big, heavy duty. Looks like you could haul a Mini Cooper on it. LOL Similar to the ones offered as an option on the original FJ Cruisers. (My FJ came with no roof rack).
    I don't believe the TRD Pro roof rack will fit in my townhouse garage.

So, does anyone know if this roof rack on the TRD Pro is removable ?

I've tried to Google but only find removeable information on the rail type racks used on the other models. Thanks for any help.

Rick

2. Oct 10, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    The vehicle with roof rack is 79.5" according to what I can find. What is the opening to your garage? There should be a roof rack delete thread somewhere out there.

3. Oct 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    For sure it’s removable, but you will need to replace the bolts and seal it up if you’re going to leave it off. There are some nice after market racks that some guys replace it with, anyway, if they don’t like the pro rack. Some of the aftermarket racks have really low profiles, and although whether they look better is subjective, some of them are more practical than the OEM pro rack, in terms of carrying gear. Mine is a 3/4 front runner and it has a ton of accessories and is pretty rugged and lower than the pro rack.

4HI4LO likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    trlhiker: Thanks so much for finding that measurement. That's a BIG help. Now I can measure. I also think (?) I read where the 2021 Pro sits 1" higher than the other 4Runners. Not sure about this. Yes, found on Google the rack delete kits you can order from Toyota. But they seem to be talking about the more common rail style. But there is probably a kit for the Pro style rack also. I'll check with my local Toyota dealer. Thanks again for this measurement.

Oldtoyotaguy: Thanks for your reply. My garage inside offers enough height. It's just the entrance that's so short. Common issue with townhouse type garages.

Rick

5. Oct 10, 2020 at 1:11 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Yes, for sure, my ORP has a small lift and sits 1 1/2” higher than stock in the front and 1/2” higher in the back, so ever so slightly taller by 1/2” than your Pro. With the Front runner rack, it is 76” total heght.

6. Oct 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    OK. Thanks again. That helps even more. Now I can do more measuring.

Rick

7. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:08 PM
    ToyotaMacGyver

ToyotaMacGyver At 88mph you’re going to see some serious sh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Pro
    As a former FJ owner I know the pain of letting one go. They are an amazing vehicle, but like anything they can be replaced. I was looking at getting back into an FJ TT or a Pro and as much as I love the FJ I couldn’t spend that kind of money on a 6 or 7 year old vehicle.

I am picking up my new to me Pro this weekend and can’t wait to hear that v6 fire up. I sold my FJ in 2013 so it’s been a long time coming for me to get back in the saddle of capable trail rig. I think the wait will be worth it for you!

I’m not sure how high it sits on a 2021 but I did order the Gobi Stealth rack. I think it’s the best looking rack on the 4Runner and looks to sit lower than the new Pro rack. Something to look into.

8. Oct 12, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    I removed my Pro rack and sold it off my 2020. Then I added the black rails for a little while. Then decided I like the smooth top. Lifted it more and added 285’s and did the roof rack delete. I don’t stick anything up there.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  9. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again for ALL your responses. I did some measuring and sure enough the TRD Pro - with the big OEM rack - won't fit through the entrance of my garage. So it will have to come off. I like the looks of it. But it is what it is as they say.

MacGyver: Yes, it will be hard letting go of the FJ. My favorite vehicle of all time. But it sounds like there may be more serious changes coming with the 6th generation, 2022 4Runner after 11 years. The engine/drive-train on the current 2021 4Runner is the same as my 2010 FJ Cruiser. So if I want to keep the same reliable set-up, I better purchase a 2021 4Runner. Also, since it seems I can get approximately half the price I paid for the FJ in a trade-in. Hard to believe.

Rus: Thanks for your reply. That 4Runner looks great in that Army Green color. It seems like you are mentioning that the bolt pattern for the two-rails type rack is the same as for the the bigger TRD Pro ?

Rick

10. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    Thank you Rick, yes it’s the same bolt pattern. The only difference is the bolts are different on the roof rails than the Pro rack. The Pros are torx head and the rails are socket head. Good luck on your move!!

11. Oct 13, 2020 at 7:28 AM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    OK. Thanks again Rus.

Rick

12. Oct 27, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    wfxt

wfxt Still figuring it out

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayleigh
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM 4R TRD Pro
    And now I need to measure my garage door opening as well. The things one does not think about beforehand...

13. Oct 28, 2020 at 5:29 AM
    rickystl

rickystl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    That's also why I found that joining this Forum BEFORE a purchase was so helpful.

Rick

Products Discussed in

To Top